LegacyGT.com

5EAT is shot!

Well my 5EAT is shot and my car is stranded in Arcata,CA till I can I have it towed to a mechanic. I've been told by IPT that i need a transmission build :icon_frow. I drove 80 miles with it shuddering around turns, and really bad from stops. I would attempt to drive it to down the 299 to Red Bluff, CA but, I'm with my girlfriend. I know this is gonna cost $$$$.$$ to fix.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
details...

milage, mods, all symptoms, etc.

and sorry to hear :(

also whether tracked or ever brake torqued as well, plz.

important data for the emerging pattern of the more rare, but existent stg 2 failures.

the bright side is you're on the horn with ipt already :wub:

I have about 40k miles on the car, only about 10K with my Perrin TBE and panel filter. I have brake torqued my car 4 or 5 times. The only major service i had done besides regular oil changes was at 30K which included a tranny flush with OEM fluid. Would a bad tune affect the life of my tranny because of too much power too early? During the trip I did drive the car a little harder than usual, pulling to redline to pass cars a lot. My subaru was fine when I left Portland but, the problem manifested itself when I came to a stop sign between the 199 and 101. The tranny went kunk really violently and loudly then the tranny would shudder from any sudden actions so i drove it in manual mode trying to keep deceleration, acceleration and lateral g's to a minimum. I've been emailing IPT I actually told them my transmission was shot but, I'm gonna get a professional's opinion. The car shudders really bad from stop signs but, I'm gonna attempt to drive it to the closest transmission shop. In your guys's opinion would it be "safe" to drive it 150 miles home the car is very manageable but, I'm afraid the tranny or something might fall-out.

You need to find out what exactly has gone wrong with the tranny before you're going to get any useful info out of anyone. I highly doubt any tuning with just a TBE is what caused the failure, it's really just not that significant.

What I would be worried about is those brake torques you did, and making sure that flush that was done was done right. Have you checked the fluid to see what condition it is in? Did you have a transmission cooler installed?

If the tune is very aggressive and has you peaking boost very early in the powerband than it will not be very nice to the transmission.

Also how aggressive were your brake torques? if they were above 3000 rpm then that could cause some problems especially if your atf fluid is no good. Did you brake tq recently?

Sorry to hear this man. I learned the hard way also..... There is no rhyme or reason to why these 5EATs fail. One of mine failed at simple stage II with a cobb tune and the other with an 18g and a TDC tune.

For those that have modded 5eats it is honestly just a matter of when yours decides to go. These trans's are swiss cheese. I am back to stock now with my 3rd trans and I don't dare even go more then half throttle anymore. I am just too scared, even stock everything.

If you really think it's the tranny, I would NOT drive it. Also, you said you had a "flush" done at 30K? Where? If it was a subaru dealership and it was you "30K" service time, then you did not have your tranny flushed. That is not due until 60K according to Subaru. You only had your pan dropped, and fluid replaced. Eeghck. I am sorry about your misfourtune, I am waiting for the day myself, especially at stage III. Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear this man. I learned the hard way also..... There is no rhyme or reason to why these 5EATs fail. One of mine failed at simple stage II with a cobb tune and the other with an 18g and a TDC tune.

For those that have modded 5eats it is honestly just a matter of when yours decides to go. These trans's are swiss cheese. I am back to stock now with my 3rd trans and I don't dare even go more then half throttle anymore. I am just too scared, even stock everything.

it was the pulleys. ;)

Joking of course.

Ok, now I am worried! I am counting time slips from the track and I have torque launched at least 27 times, half after going stage 2. It still works so far at 25K but perhaps a breakdown is just around the corner. I have recently decided to reflash low boost map for daily driving and I am taking it easy for a while. Boost comes on much later. I think I have maxed out my 1/4 mile taime anyway so I am no longer trying to "prove" anything. I guess I am lucky to have made it this far. I'll let you guys know when she goes!

yes, after reading more and more 5EATs detonating at just stg 2, i wonder how much they can handle. there doesn't seem to be any true rhyme or reason it goes. I know when I was stg 2, I ran the piss out of the car, torque braked to 3000+ rpms, etc. I had a TDC stg 2 map that was very agressive, boost came on almost instantaneous it seemed. I know from the amount of launching and tracking the car that summer, when i did move to the STI swap, the tranny wasn't too happy. Though the IPT VB certainly made the difference, I wouldn't count on it saving your tranny or preventing it from complete detonation. When it wants to go, it's just going to go.

I have been extremely lucky with mine, and as I've said in other posts, I wonder if it has something to do with the dry cooler weather and temps here as well as being close to sea level. I know when I was in Portland and Seattle last summer, the car ran like poo.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

yes, after reading more and more 5EATs detonating at just stg 2, i wonder how much they can handle. there doesn't seem to be any true rhyme or reason it goes.

The problem is, in all these failure posts, nobody has posted what actually failed. That's pretty important in figuring out if the power mods are even responsible, or if it's just something inherent to the 5EAT. With Subaru going to an entirely new transmission for 08, we may never find out.

:munch:

42k on my 5EAT now, stg1, never torque braked but I do have lead foot/bat out of hell syndrome and I bang the "manumatic" aspect around quite a bit.

curious to know the failure point.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The problem is, in all these failure posts, nobody has posted what actually failed. That's pretty important in figuring out if the power mods are even responsible, or if it's just something inherent to the 5EAT. With Subaru going to an entirely new transmission for 08, we may never find out.

From the few people I have spoken to that have broken tranny's the common problem is burned up clutch packs.

Mind I ask you, did the factory replace the 5EAT under warranty? Also, what caused the failure? Is it the clutch pack? Do you have a trans cooler on your car by any chance?

My first trans was a broken "transfer case" (I know we really don't one officially but that is what busted. The second was clutch packs that died in 5th gear

Yikes!

and again, I am amazed that my tranny has lasted as long as it has. now, I'm just driving it like a granny. Even when I took her out for rallyx, I intentionally was the slowest out there. I don't need to be the fastest, just wanted to play in the dirt a little. :)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

So because you had two failures at stage II you won't go past half throttle on a stock setup?? That doesn't make sense to me. Don't you think you'd hear about trannys dying left and right if stock was too much power for them or there was some inherit problem with the 5EAT tranny? There's tons of people out there with 80+K miles. Don't you think a good number of those would be cooking by now if modding and torque breaking didn't have a LOT to do with it?

Archived