LegacyGT.com

New F1 rear wings

f1anatic

make baby Jesus cry...

http://images.f1racing.net/large/38319.jpg

http://images.f1racing.net/large/38327.jpg

Besides I thought we're done with the funly aerodynamics...winglets, and other bodywork-addendums.

These are from the Toyota launch. Check out for yourselves at http://www.f1racing.net I am more and more convinced that we are again hitting a phase of ugly cars...Last beautiful cars were in 2001-2002. Previous to that it was circa 1997. And previous to that everything between 1990-1993.

I like it, its function which is the main principle of these cars.

Actually, it's anti-function... it's a rear wing designed to limit downforce, not produce it.

2004 - Top.

2005 - Bottom.

http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/imgactu/05/toyota-launch_080105_143x220.jpg

How is it anti-function if it was designed with a function in mind?

Tee hee... yeah, it's late and I'm tired.

I took 330's post to mean "function of the F1 car designers," when it clearly a legislative "limiting" function.

But function nonetheless. :D

2003-2004 Added 10 cm to rear wing vertical plates to please the sponsors.

2004-2005 Moved the rear wing 10 cm towards the rear wheels.

It just blows. Heres a good looking F1 car

http://www.ferrari-enthusiastic.com/fe_images/formula_car_img/1990s/1994/1994_412t1_2.jpg

who cares. Schumacher's gonna win anyways.
:lol: :lol:

I'm a Tifosi and I believe that will be true, but it will be interesting to see what Kimi and JPM do @ McLaren. Also, I hope JButton stays with BAR; I don't see success for Williams until they get someone decent to team with Webber...my $0.02.

I don't see success for Williams until they get someone decent to team with Webber...my $0.02.

I don't know... personally, I think you're underestimating Nick Heidfeld. I think he's going to get the race seat over Pizzonia, and will do well. It's his best shot to date, and I think he deserves it.

Is Heidfeld a "name" driver? No. But I'm very interested to see what he'll do with the chance should he get it.

I don't know... personally, I think you're underestimating Nick Heidfeld. I think he's going to get the race seat over Pizzonia, and will do well. It's his best shot to date, and I think he deserves it.

Is Heidfeld a "name" driver? No. But I'm very interested to see what he'll do with the chance should he get it.

Didn't think of it because there has been no offical word on in; Good point. I also hope the 2nd seat goes to NH, Pizzonia wasn't impressive when he got to race.

What's your take on how Red Bull Racing will do in 2005?

RBR? Considering all the upheaval -- delayed development due to Jag concentrating more on saving their @ss than building the new car, change in team principles, etc -- I'm not expecting much. But I think DC can help them develop the car as best as possible (he'll be an asset, not a liability), and Red Bull should be able to throw enough $$ at it. But just shoveling buckets of money at the car doesn't guarantee success.

David was driving a decent car for quite a few seasons (1996-2004) but never won the championship...despite claims. And when the retarded qualifying system was introduced for 2003, David's performance just plummetted. I wonder what he'll do in a car that was a the bottom of the pecking order in most recent championships. My understanding is that the 2005 Jaguar was well under construction at the time of rebadging as Red Bull Racing. No amount of cash can make a bad car into a winner. It takes an entire designer team change of philosophy for that...and of course time. Look at McLaren in 2003-4, a stable organisation with 2 good drivers. Add in the chaos from the sale and the fact that Jag was a bottom team. Red Bull, Coulthard will have their hands full for a few years.

One of the teams I wanted to move up was Sauber. But now with Red Bull cash...gone...it will be that much tougher.

it's ok, there's other cars other than F1 to look at.. personally I am a GT sedan fan. Nothing like some LeMans racing or some kind of GT 12 hour and 24 races for me. Besides, isn't there a major difference in F1 Champ cars vs. Indy? Not to mention the different rules and engineering designs and limitations? Currently, I am beginning to like 250cc shifter kart racing more and more.

Specs for an 250cc F/E kart:

248cc to 256cc motorcycle engines (but if you want to show off, add a turbo to it)

Power ranges around 65hp to 90hp

470 lbs +/- 15 lbs (with a typical 150 lbs. to 160 lbs. driver)

Top speed around 150 mph

0-100 mph in under 4 seconds

Lateral G-forces around 2.5 g's to 3 g's

Available in 5, 6 or 7 speed tranny

Reasonable entry level cost anywhere from $6000 and over $30000

Ground clearance of 1.5" to 2"

Faster Raw lap times than 600 + bhp V8 Race prepped cars (just compare weight to tire contact patch ratio and power to weight ratio and you see why it's no competition)

and more important note: No seat belt, so if you crash, you're gonna crash like a bike.

http://www.ozsuperkart.net/images/StockmanMcIlveen.jpg

http://www.ozsuperkart.net/images/Evan250.jpg

Keefe

Keefe

I never drove a 250, but I had a 125 shifter. (sold the motor, going to a different-style 125, more of a direct drive).

Anyway, Eddie Lawson (yes, *that* Eddie Lawson... if you don't know, Google) went about as fast in a 250 at Road America as Trans-Am cars did about 5-6 years ago.

Those karts are WAY serious.

I have to admit that when I say the rear and front wing difference from MY02 - MY04, I almost had a melt down. But during a press conference, MS said that this wont help the slow teams but will better help the rich and fast teams and there will be a greater differnce rather than a smaller difference and I share his thoughts too.

BMW.WilliamsF1.Team will launch FW27 on 31/1/2005 or 1/31/2005 for the US lads.

Adam.

http://images.f1racing.net/large/38615.jpg

How about this oddity Front Wing from Sauber ? I nearly had a stroke...And the new rear wings are so closely tucked into the body work that it is nauseating at the very least...

Yeah this season is really going to be a make or break before the new V8 engines come in. I think F1 seriously had to do someting about the rising costs but this in my eyes has only really increased costs because teams have had to go back and redevelop. Yes I like the idea of 1 race engine for two race weekends, that makes sense and a limited number of tyres, this also makes sense but to decrease downforce and change the look of the car would be a massive expense and could fund a small country for years with the amount of money spent to achieve this.

As I stated before MS has made this very clear and IMHO, he is right on the money. F1 is a changed beast, lets hope that the V10 engines remain, we get more downforce and power back and let the games begin.......

Adam.

I do not understand why they do not revert back to tech regs of the early 1990s. There seemed tpo eb a lot of overtaking back then...and by switching back 15 years they have destroyxed much of the speed gained in the wind tunnel. A single tire manufecturer making harder tires along with 1 engine for 2 races is a much better idea than what they are trysing to do.

You are correct...the costs of developing a new engine will be huge. I fail to see the cost advantage of switching to 2.4L V8s. That also last 2 races. I am certain that Ferrari - the engine reliability Gods of the present decade - are scratching their heads how to make the engine last 2 races. What about a brand new design ?

I admit to speeds in F1 getting a bit out of control. But that is due to mostly tire war and because of the rush judgement in the wake of Ayrton Sernna's death when they changed the circuits to have slow corners.

And damn it...they have to do something about all those wings, winglets, extra wingies, sculpted radiators, rear wheel covers and what not. I'd gladly support a total ban on that...although I realize that is a way to claw back downforce. They should just make the rear wing taller (to the max height of the car ~ 1m) and allow just 2 elements on it (currently 3) of fixed size/location.

And get rid of auto trannies (they still have auto upshifts). LC, TCS cannot be really enforced but auto trannies can. And refueling...just last season we had 2 refueling fires. Man...that got to go...And I am not even getting started on the retarded qualifying. What was wrong with 2002 and previous 2 decades qualif ?

Been watching F1 for...I guess this is the 16th season...and it is more §µßked up than ever.

Archived