LegacyGT.com

New F1 rear wings

f1anatic

Tires are a big part of the speed, engines make a difference.

But the sole reason for the speed is Aero. All the aero downforce is why the cornering speeds are so high.

I'd LOVE to see them get 4-liter V10s (1200 HP?) and NO wings. Like big Formula Fords. Then most of the grip will come from mechanical means, and they'll have way more horsepower than grip. It'll bring the driver's input to the fore more than the current regs. Lap times would tumble dramatically, braking zones would lengthen and cornering speeds would be way down... which is where the safety concerns are - in the cornering speeds, not the straight-line speeds.

Crazy? Maybe. But I'd love to see it. :)

i'm late to the party on this one, but i figure i'll throw in my one cent (im not really worth of 2 in this case). from reading all the post, seems like there was a rule change on rear wing to decrease d/f but it's gonna skyrocket cost due to redevelopment and designs aero-wise to try to get back what was lost???? if that is correct, welcome to the world of NASCAR!! :lol: we get a new spoiler rule every year it seems and we spend countless hours in the tunnel trying to get back what we lost!! if we don't get a spoiler change then it's a new nose and tail. i agree, NOT CHEAP!!!!

i hope im understanding correctly...1 race engine for 2 wknds, meaning the engine used for race A has to be used for race B??? WOW!! good luck with that one, we are doing good to make 1 race engine last a weekend (damn those hanging RPMs!)!!

anyhoo, guess i'll have to pay a "little more" attention to f1 this year since it seems to be the racing of choice around here and i like to talk racing of any kind!

Kenda

ps...u wanna talk about ugly, check out the nose on the Dodge that was submitted and approved by NASCAR for the busch/cup series. i think i'm gonna go puke just thinking about it!!

The problem is that modern drivers can't actualy fucking drive. They think that you should be able to run a car as hard as it can go around the entire track in complete safety.

If you found drivers that approch the gaspedal as something other than a on-off switch you could find a racing series that doesn't need to keep pulling the speed of the cars back down. What happened to the people who drove cars like the early Ford GT40 which had high speed lift issues. So they would simply get it upto 200 or so and then cruise down the main straight at Le mans. Modern drivers would keep the pedal to the floor and wonder why they wake up in the hospital a week later.

Frankly they need to make it a 3L V8 with a minimum stroke that is fairly long. This puts a "rev limiter" on that can't be cheated. Then make the gearboxes say... 5spds maximum. This will force them to make more flexible engines. Larger cars would also be of benifit as they could make the cockpit area larger around the driver for extra safety. Larger frontal area also makes for slower cars w a given HP.

You can't stop the spirit of competition. Talk to a professional race car driver that has a winning streak.. you'll know why they put fear and safety in the back seat and trust teammates, their cars, and themselves to bring them victory. When you have something so solid of a race car, you just have to push that extra 1% eventhough you are at 100%. Once you are out on the track, it's the person who makes the least amount of mistakes that wins.

Keefe

Keefe

• 3 weeks later...

Archived