LegacyGT.com

98 GT...Turbo?!

Subabufreak

I have had my black 98 GT for a few mos. now and i also have just bought a turbo off an old mitsubishi eclipse GSX, and i was wondering what cars have a turbo manafold i could use? I didnt knwo if i can use an EJ20 on my 2.5 if the block is still the same or what any help would be appricated!

All EJ series engines will fit. The differences are internal and in the heads (SOHC, DOHC; several versions of each).

Subaru cars have turbo mainifolds. EJ series manifolds should all bolt up, but that turbo will need new flanges to be compatible with them. Or you could just get a turbo that fits to begin with. If you stick with the high compression N/A engine, I would get something small, like the VF10/11 from an original Legacy turbo. It would spool near instantly, would be cheap to get, fairly easy to adapt, and wouldn't put out much boost (which you don't need in this instance). You will need to upgrade fuel and some way of dealing with the ECU; make sure your knock sensor works (!); and I wouldn't do it without an intercooler, new head gaskets, and ARP studs while I'm in there.

Or you could swap in a JDM/USDM EJ20 or USDM EJ22 turbo, though passing emissions/dealing with local laws regarding engine swaps will be up to you.

You will need a turbo crossmember to clear the turbo manifold either way.

Steve

Yeah i know its not as easy as just slapping the turbo on the new manifold and going, like i said im looking for a challenge and with the help of you guys and the WRXLinks guys, i should be able to pull it off i already have a line on CHEAP labor (having no garage i cant do it myself) but im just starting to look so im sure i'll have more questions later ! any other good ideas will be verry appricated!

Archived