LegacyGT.com

Couple of Subaru (Liberty in Australia) Legacy Nav installs

icacha

thanx, the first one has the 7in housing grafted to the oem fascia and plastic filled, the PND version has the housing as a seperate piece so you can remove it once the car is sold and replace with the oem pocket.:)

what steps did you take to mount the double din within the hole...as in what points did you use for mounting brackets(i have a single din motorized in mine, and i just wanted some poeples own personal ideas.

In addition...is the double din mounted at a slight angle?

did you use the relocation mounting bracket for the trip computer?

does that double din have a motorized screen if so can you post a video of how exactly yours opens and closes?

what steps did you take to mount the double din within the hole...as in what points did you use for mounting brackets(i have a single din motorized in mine, and i just wanted some poeples own personal ideas.

In addition...is the double din mounted at a slight angle?

did you use the relocation mounting bracket for the trip computer?

does that double din have a motorized screen if so can you post a video of how exactly yours opens and closes?

You might be mistaken about the double din, its just a stand alone 7 inch monitor which the owner wanted us to graft into the oem housing for his nav and reverse camera.

Nice and clean. The first picture looks just like my install. Any pics of how the rear camera was mounted? I wired for one, but haven't installed it because I haven't seen a real stealth way to do it. Besides, its just a novelty for me.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Are the Aus nav bezels the same as US? If so, what would it take to get one of those to me so I can take it to a shop and have them install an aftermarket nav? Do you know about the support structure behind the nav? I heard from another guy that it can't be cut - if that's true, does that limit the type of nav unit you install? Need more info.

Nice and clean. The first picture looks just like my install. Any pics of how the rear camera was mounted? I wired for one, but haven't installed it because I haven't seen a real stealth way to do it. Besides, its just a novelty for me.

We got the same issue here, no stealth way of doing it due to the trunk lid being open to the inside. So rather than taking a risk of water getting into the trunk I opted to surface mount the CCD.

Are the Aus nav bezels the same as US? If so, what would it take to get one of those to me so I can take it to a shop and have them install an aftermarket nav? Do you know about the support structure behind the nav? I heard from another guy that it can't be cut - if that's true, does that limit the type of nav unit you install? Need more info.

The oem nav is Garmin which is re-badget by Kenwood. Both the images are of custom installs, the one shown on the 7in screen is a VDO computer with RGB box sending a composite NTSC signal to the screen. No support structure was cut behind the air vents. Sorry I dont have images of behind the vents, but nothing was altered.

The image with the PND (portable nav device) I made entirely out of ABS plastic to screw to the oem locations (air vents and back of trip display) so the pocket can easily be put back in.

Its just a 7in Necvox head rest monitor, you could use any head rest monitor that fits in that hole and plastic graft it in there, I used a relay setup which switches between the nav and reverse camera when in reverse, easy to do if you know how relays work :)

I don't think I'm making myself clear. The stock nav has a row of buttons grafted into the bezel at the bottom. In your pic 1 and 2, there is only a void for the screen (no Subaru buttons). Did you created that bezel yourself? I looked into the JDM one but it apparently won't fit US Legacies. That's why I ask.

The one icacha has used is the 2 din bezel, which is available from AVO I believe (but you're right only RHD - I THINK). The oem satnav bezel from subaru does have the buttons along the bottom. I have the same one as icacha.

Icacha: do you know what the cable/switch is that comes with the kit? I know it plugs into the clock connector, but the instructions are in japanese.. and i'm not japanese :)

The one icacha has used is the 2 din bezel, which is available from AVO I believe (but you're right only RHD - I THINK).

Does anyone know if the nav bezel is rotated right or left like the stereo console, depending on right or left hand drive?

The one icacha has used is the 2 din bezel, which is available from AVO I believe (but you're right only RHD - I THINK). The oem satnav bezel from subaru does have the buttons along the bottom. I have the same one as icacha.

Icacha: do you know what the cable/switch is that comes with the kit? I know it plugs into the clock connector, but the instructions are in japanese.. and i'm not japanese :)

No I didn't use a 2 din bezel, I cut everything out the middle to graft the head rest monitor housing in there.

Sorry I don't know as I didn't order anything from Japan.

Does anyone know if the nav bezel is rotated right or left like the stereo console, depending on right or left hand drive?

I could be wrong here, but isn't the bezel just a flat piece and the dash slanted towards the driver? I didn't pay attention when I did those 2 cars.

its the customers original bezel i cut the guts out of, sorry, now i get what you wanted to ask me posts ago :p we call the bezel a fascia plus i was getting confused with the aftermarket part from Japan...

its the customers original bezel i cut the guts out of, sorry, now i get what you wanted to ask me posts ago :p we call the bezel a fascia plus i was getting confused with the aftermarket part from Japan...

OK that makes sense now, and why you were painting it :)

BTW, what did you use to paint it?

Archived