LegacyGT.com

HID retro, RX 330 etc...

legacy4me

What he said.

Because that projector isn't designed to work with the 65w bulb you are talking about. To have the perfect setup for your argument you would have to find a projector from a stock car that runs 65w bulbs and swap them in to get the proper setup that OEM engineers were looking for, with the 65w bulb.

On a side note, i bet your 65w bulbs with the stock projectors produce a good amount of glare, considering the stock ones produce some with the "squirrel finder" hole in the cutoff shield. I imagine your 65w bulbs produce even more the same a HID kit would. More light = more glare right?

Mr.350

Its 100% impossible for the average joe to know my retro isnt stock.

-It looks 100% oem and works 100% like oem.

-I would pass inspection anywhere anytime.

-I will never be pulled over anywhere anytime.

-Ratio of me getting flashed vs me flashing idiots with their highs on for no reason is easily 30:1 (seb you rid the world of these morons and i'll go back to halogen)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I bet. Soon, I think. I need to pay for my tux and a nice gift for my best friend first. It's flippin 150 bucks to rent a tux in Vancouver BC! Normally he would have rented it for me since I'm his best man, but I'm paying for a laptop I got from him that I'm typing to you on now. After those things, then maybe.

Its 100% impossible for the average joe to know my retro isnt stock.

-It looks 100% oem and works 100% like oem.

-I would pass inspection anywhere anytime.

-I will never be pulled over anywhere anytime.

-Ratio of me getting flashed vs me flashing idiots with their highs on for no reason is easily 30:1 (seb you rid the world of these morons and i'll go back to halogen)

plus a million times fifty

fyi, i passed state inspection in hawaii..:p

see bold

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

So you are saying that a better designed projector is the key in spreading the light more evenly? Why not just change the projector and skip the high-brightness bulb that blinds oncoming drivers?

Just changing the projector won't fix things, 'cause the light output from halogen is so low.

My g'f's Mazda 3 comes with factory HIDs and there is a MASSIVE difference driving her car and my '08 Outback back to back. There is actually illumination to the sides, and bright even light spread to the left, front and right. On the Outback there is basically a hot spot of light forward (which isn't even that bright), and dim lighting to the sides. Frankly it's crap, and that's what she said too, without me pointing it out.

My previous car, a BMW X3, also had HIDs and I really miss them.

While you may not think there's an improvement, I definitely do.

I am about to receive all my parts for a RX330 retro, thanks to the info from this forum. Thanks especially to LUV and MiniSTI GUY. Hopefully it goes well!

I cant believe this but I have to agree with you SB the Speed6 has some of the crappiest projectors out they are updated bosch E46 pretty crappy Xenons and with the added tinted lens on the speed 6 that adds to the shit storm of driving in the dark in a speed6 or in incliment weather. Just poorly designed housings and optics.

My friend has a Mazdaspeed 6 with HID headlamps. They throw a pool of light right in front of the car with two hotspots and that's it.. compared to my Outback with the Philips Nightguide bulbs in there right now, they really don't perform all that well.
Mr.350

#1 I have a 05 the sprayers didnt come until 07 EDM/JDM refresh.

#2 Not all Xenon Legacy housing have leveling and Xenon option together across this vast world of auto markets.

#3 Yes I do have DRL's wired in my high beams sim to the 08's.

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/images/S&M%20gazoo%20good.jpg

Must have been Jr lube tech because it is pretty clear that your retro does not have the required leveling mechanism. Do you have DRLs enabled? What about the headlight washer on the EDM/JDM housings? Just because the tech can't figure out that those bits are missing doesn't mean that is is "just that good"
Mr.350

Why would anyone spend 10 times the amount of money to get the same result as the 65w Osram Rallye?

They're also both illegal.. you get caught with the 65 watters you spend 5 minutes changing the bulbs.. you get caught with the HIDs you spend two hours trying to put everything back to the way it was and you're out a whole lotta cash.

Don't hate, apperciate. Stop drinking the Hateo'rade.

This is hysterical...!

Come on now let's get constructive!

All I have to add is that if HID/Bi-Xenon technology is so freaking bad...then why do most if not all of the worlds Best auto manufacturers use the proper version of this technology?

I am sure if Halogen was as great as you say then it would be more widely used at the top of the food chain instead of those trying to cut corners when it comes to their bottom line.

Most of these manufacturers set the benchmark for engineering and safety They stake their values and reputation on just that fact alone!

Yes you pay for it...

But the point is:

Done properly this is a superior way for ALL to safely light the road (Both coming and going)!

Sorry if I am being general but that seems to me a very simple explanation.

J

My friend has a Mazdaspeed 6 with HID headlamps. They throw a pool of light right in front of the car with two hotspots and that's it.. compared to my Outback with the Philips Nightguide bulbs in there right now, they really don't perform all that well.

Don't know about the MS6, because I've never been in one.

Like I said, back to back, the BMW X3 and Mazda 3 HID lights (which I have extensive experience with) make the Subaru Legacy/OB lights look pretty bad, in my opinion. Your eyes may react differently, I don't know.

Funnily enough, you say the MS6 has two hotspots forward and that's it, that's exactly my criticism of the Subie Legacy/OB lights! You seriously don't notice that?? Oh well to each their own.

Point taken...I agree that those lower on the food chain are driven to do just that...(ie your Mazdaspeed3 example)

My point is that this technology done and set-up properly (ie. Mr Luv) can provide a better and safer overall driving expereince to all those involved...hell I was in my best friends 2008 BMW 550i last week on the way to Whistler and there's no freaking way you can tell me that halogen can put out that kind of quality lighting in all conditions...not a chance!

The problem is that there ends up being a bunch of posers out there who don't set things up properly and just go for the look without the proper execution of the technology!

I love that a few of those on this site have taken the time to study the proper execution of this with the LGT.

So your point is well taken. But if you take a stance don't make it personal and paint all with the same brush just to make your point...as it then becomes irrational and irritating...just as I am sure you feel with about any of our general points!

Again let's move forward and be constructive!

J

I feel that many auto makers are driven to using HID lighting simply because it is viewed as a step above halogen and customers demand a "premium" feature on a premium car.

Stick a blue light on something and people will flock to it like mosquitos to a mosquito trap.. Kmart figured that out a long time ago :lol:

Yeh, if you are a civic owner.

We all know that having properly set up HID's has an aesthetically pleasing effect to most car enthusiasts. The Walmart/Kmart blue light specials put out less light and look ricey as hell.

The fact of the matter is that you can see better with a higher output of light (properly aimed) and you are also more visible to other drivers. Go figure.

Thank you J, its to the point I have to physicaly restrain myself from posting in these witch hunt threads. So manythings I dislike but why rant daily I just get over it I cant change it so keep it moving.
Mr.350

Archived