LegacyGT.com

HID retro, RX 330 etc...

legacy4me

Almost two years ago I had a local custom shop install a Kaizen(sp?) 6000k kit. I did not like the color or projection, seemed to blue purple. So i ordered some apexcone 4,300k bulbs. They seem too yellow now. Whenever I compare my lights to my friends is300, mine dont look as white/blue.

I would love to just do the retrofit, but I am not brave enough to do this by myself. I want the output and cutoff of stock HID's, my Kit just aint "cutting" it.

Ideally i wish somebody could do the whole setup for me and ship me a set of lights for my legacy with the retro done to them, then I could just swap out my lights with the new ones with the retro. lol.

I am also thinking of just making things easy and taking my kit out, and just putting silverstars in or something, and wait till I can trade in my 06 SE for a new Legacy with HID's stock, or Tribeca with HID's stock...that is when the option is available.

What part of the retro are you not comfortable with doing? It's really not a terribly difficult job and there's more than enough people here and on HIDPlanet that can help you out if you run into problems. Otherwise, yeah, just have mr_luv hook you up.

Why would anyone spend 10 times the amount of money to get the same result as the 65w Osram Rallye?

They're also both illegal.. you get caught with the 65 watters you spend 5 minutes changing the bulbs.. you get caught with the HIDs you spend two hours trying to put everything back to the way it was and you're out a whole lotta cash.

It's not the same results...
:spin:

There is no way a 65w bulb puts out the same amount of light/ distribution that a properly retro-ed HID setup does. It just doesn't make sense, our stock projects don't project light as wide as the RX 330's do no matter what bulb you put in. Correct me if i'm wrong, but so much depends on the design of the projector and how it works with the bulb, and less on the bulb itself.

^ Your not going to get the best pictures of light output using a camera period. I am sure you already know that, so don't think that I am taking a shot at you.

Its a personal preference and it reduces glare for other drivers rather than using the lgt projectors. This mod is more for the benefit of other drivers IMHO. I had HIDs using stock projectors and I loved the output, but didnt like getting flashed at everywhere I went.

Matt did you have yours re aimed?

^ Your not going to get the best pictures of light output using a camera period. I am sure you already know that, so don't think that I am taking a shot at you.

Its a personal preference and it reduces glare for other drivers rather than using the lgt projectors. This mod is more for the benefit of other drivers IMHO. I had HIDs using stock projectors and I loved the output, but didnt like getting flashed at everywhere I can't.

Mr.350

Why would anyone spend 10 times the amount of money to get the same result as the 65w Osram Rallye?

They're also both illegal.. you get caught with the 65 watters you spend 5 minutes changing the bulbs.. you get caught with the HIDs you spend two hours trying to put everything back to the way it was and you're out a whole lotta cash.

Sebberry why in the hell do you still post in these threads? The entire known universe knows you hate Xenon's so just get over it.

1) It's a discussion thread. The OP asked a question, posts outlining pros and cons ensue.

2) He can get almost the same results for 1/10th of the price

3) I don't post in Mr_luv's threads. If you want to discuss useless, irritating and illegal mods in peace, do it in his thread. :)

1.) Understood. My point however is why do continue to punish yourself with your personal crusade against people with retro kits or even swaps?

2.) In your opinion. Remember, this is a discussion board.

3.) I know that, again, I refer to my original post. Also retro kits aren't useless... they may be irritating to you, but that's not our problem to deal with; and illegal? Sure you could argue that however DOT on a stock projector system isn't really going to be able to tell the difference. You could argue with me on that point till your blue in the face but haven't read about on this forum, anyone asked to remove them after state inspection.

So you are saying that a better designed projector is the key in spreading the light more evenly? Why not just change the projector and skip the high-brightness bulb that blinds oncoming drivers?

Because that projector isn't designed to work with the 65w bulb you are talking about. To have the perfect setup for your argument you would have to find a projector from a stock car that runs 65w bulbs and swap them in to get the proper setup that OEM engineers were looking for, with the 65w bulb.

On a side note, i bet your 65w bulbs with the stock projectors produce a good amount of glare, considering the stock ones produce some with the "squirrel finder" hole in the cutoff shield. I imagine your 65w bulbs produce even more the same a HID kit would. More light = more glare right?

Archived