LegacyGT.com

Stage 1 question - newby

SubieAA

I have read over the different stage upgrades and I have read Cobb's website regarding the stage 1 Accessport upgrade and the dyno results from each stage on their website.

I am considering a stage 1 upgrade to a Cobb Accesport remap and possibly adding a larger rear sway bar for my 05 5mt LGT LTD. I like my car, new owner, but I would like the smooth power band for low-end torque I see on the dyno results for stage 1. I use my car as a daily driver, and I hope to drive it for a very long time. It is very practical.

My questions is why would the Subaru engineers program the ECU so that it generates 30-35 hp less than the program that Cobb uses? What are they trying to protect by leaving so much power unused? What is the downside or risk of Cobb's stage 1? I see that stage 1 usually does not require any other modifications.

Thanks.

My questions is why would the Subaru engineers program the ECU so that it generates 30-35 hp less than the program that Cobb uses?

Many car companies, including Subaru, want to provide a reliable vehicle, attain a certain gas mileage rating (the laws are changing and car manufacturers are having to meet higher fuel economy standartds), and avoid having to repair stuff under warranty.

What are they trying to protect by leaving so much power unused?

My guess would be the powertrain since its warranty lasts longer than the bumper to bumper.

What is the downside or risk of Cobb's stage 1?

I just flashed to Cobb Stage 1 93 a few days ago - I love it! Downside is you will be visiting the gas station more often and if you flash to the 93 octane map, you'd better be able to get 93 all the time. Engine life MAY decrease a bit, but I doubt this is noticable to the majority of owners. You can always switch to the ecomomy map to improve fuel mileage.

Hope this helps.

Many car companies, including Subaru, want to provide a reliable vehicle, attain a certain gas mileage rating (the laws are changing and car manufacturers are having to meet higher fuel economy standartds), and avoid having to repair stuff under warranty.

My guess would be the powertrain since its warranty lasts longer than the bumper to bumper.

I just flashed to Cobb Stage 1 93 a few days ago - I love it! Downside is you will be visiting the gas station more often and if you flash to the 93 octane map, you'd better be able to get 93 all the time. Engine life MAY decrease a bit, but I doubt this is noticable to the majority of owners. You can always switch to the ecomomy map to improve fuel mileage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Is the large power gain only available if you map to the 93 maps. I often have to use 92 and I think even 91 octane fuel.

What were the precise reasons you loved the results of the flash?

Thanks. Is the large power gain only available if you map to the 93 maps. I often have to use 92 and I think even 91 octane fuel.

Well, I can tell you that a little extra power is fun. But if I were you I would spend my money on sways and better rubber first.:) Better handling is not only more fun, but also increases the safety factors of the car.

Just my opinion. And I went to Stage II.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

its only a 5hp difference between 91 and 93 octane maps. i use the 93 octane map and love it. wish i had stage 2 but stage one is more than fast enough for now. also my gas mileage got better going from stock to stage 1. boost seems to come sooner and last longer. the best part about to me is the increase in highway power. it was like night and day for me

Well, I can tell you that a little extra power is fun. But if I were you I would spend my money on sways and better rubber first.:) Better handling is not only more fun, but also increases the safety factors of the car.

Just my opinion. And I went to Stage II.

Yes, I went to Nokian WR G2s, and I love them. I am thinking of putting on the longer rear swaybar, because I have read it helped, before the stage 1.

I am wondering about the handling changes from bigger rear sway bars. Again, I am surprised they would not do this at the OEM, unless they are trying to save money in cost. For example, I take highway exits at speed. With the great tires, I can accelerate into them without over and under steer. I would like it if the body rolled less and put less pressure on the tires, but I wonder if the rear sway bar would cause the wagon to fishtail, especially in bad weather.

Not to be a worry wart, but I am still trying to understand the build quality and engineering of my car.

Yes, I went to Nokian WR G2s, and I love them. I am thinking of putting on the longer rear swaybar, because I have read it helped, before the stage 1.

I am wondering about the handling changes from bigger rear sway bars. Again, I am surprised they would not do this at the OEM, unless they are trying to save money in cost. For example, I take highway exits at speed. With the great tires, I can accelerate into them without over and under steer. I would like it if the body rolled less and put less pressure on the tires, but I wonder if the rear sway bar would cause the wagon to fishtail, especially in bad weather.

Not to be a worry wart, but I am still trying to understand the build quality and engineering of my car.

I put bigger sways on front and rear, I suggest you do the same. Overall ride quality decreases over bumps, but not that much. As for body roll, while sways help, it will still be there unless you add springs. body roll doesn't hurt, but it can reduce confidence.

I should mention, that just adding a stiffer rear bar INCREASES over steer. That means the rear will lose traction sooner than the front. While this can be fun, it is less safe than over steer ( the front plows) which is the way most cars are engineered today.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

As mentioned above, upgrading the sways will make the car more tail happy in slick conditions. Upgrade in the summer and you have plenty of time to get used to the new handling before winter. I have upgraded sways, springs, endlinks and strut tower brace on one of my wagons which I have driven in all types of winter weather for years, including the winter driving course at Team O'Neil in NH. Trust me, you won't have any problems once you're used to your car. My wife drives the car daily and has never complained or had a problem.

I would recommend new endlinks as a first suspension mod. It will make your stock bars start working sooner as the stock endlinks are plastic and flex a lot.

In addition, I have a version 1 Cobb AP that was just unmarried from my car yesterday that I plan to sell. I have an open source tune now, so I don't need it any longer. It's for an 05 Legacy GT 5 MT. If you're interested, drop me a PM.

Better midrange HP and torque. Also, the car seems to hesitate less at low RPM.

I agree regarding suspension mods - that is what I will be doing next, but IMO Stage 1 w/out any mods is fine.

Better midrange HP and torque. Also, the car seems to hesitate less at low RPM.

I agree regarding suspension mods - that is what I will be doing next, but IMO Stage 1 w/out any mods is fine.

Thanks. The stuttering at low speed is one thing that annoys me about my car. I can't tell you how often I have stalled in first,:)lol, and I have driven a stick all of my life.

The suspensions mods make sense above. I am probably going to do just the endlinks as the guy above advises, and go to stage 1, fingers crossed. I assume I can remap to stock?

I do feel my car is one or two simple mods from being really, really enjoyable. Better suspension and better, smoother power sounds above right.

Just buy a use AP for about $400 and be done. I'm stage2 with a FMIC, TBE and I get about 27 mph on the highway with 91 octane. It only hurts your mph if you keep your foot in it. A tune can give you more power down low so you don't have to be on boost all the time. Every stage I went my mileage went up.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Just buy a use AP for about $400 and be done. I'm stage2 with a FMIC, TBE and I get about 27 mph on the highway with 91 octane. It only hurts your mph if you keep your foot in it. A tune can give you more power down low so you don't have to be on boost all the time. Every stage I went my mileage went up.

I am looking forward to stage 1.:)

i just went to stage 1 like 2weeks ago and i let 4 people drive my car this week..first one said this isnt a subaru, the other said how much are you selling this 4, the next one said i gotta get me one of these and the last one just couldnt wipe the grin off his face. now i really wanna go to stage 2 and make everyone jealous.

i just went to stage 1 like 2weeks ago and i let 4 people drive my car this week..first one said this isnt a subaru, the other said how much are you selling this 4, the next one said i gotta get me one of these and the last one just couldnt wipe the grin off his face. now i really wanna go to stage 2 and make everyone jealous.

You mean more jealous. :p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

• 2 weeks later...

Stage 1 has been a blast. I am at the Stage1 91 map. I might go to the stage 1 93 map once I check my gas situation in my areas. The car hits 100mph pretty easily on my daily commutes (I don't do this always).

My gas mileage is back up to 22.8mph.

I have a RSB on order next.

Archived