LegacyGT.com

New engines coming?

why would you say that? the original 02's were doing 0-60 times in the mags as low as 5.4 in several. I've seen several tests of the newer ones, however, doing 6-6.1...they seem to actually be slower. I'm assuming its changes made in the clutch/tranny?

Actually, MOST of the 02/03 WRX's that were tested were in the

high 5's to low 6's 0-60 as well.

There was only one, or maybe two tests in all magazine-dom that

got a stock WRX to 60 in 5.4 seconds.

Realistically, the car is not that fast. Proof is in the fact that the LGT is faster than the WRX and it achieves 60 mph in the mid 5 second range and

1/4 in/around 14 seconds.

I don't think the 05's are any faster/slower than the 02's.

There may be fractions of a second differences due to different wheels (may in fact be lighter or heavier than the original 16 inchers).

As for the guy at the service department knowing about the engine power upgrades for future Subaru's.

Well, I'd say if he "knows" this than he either has a friend on the VERY inside, or he's "guesstimating" from what he was told by a Subaru worker who was guesstimating himself.

Of course, with natural updating and upgrading necessary, it's only logical

our cars, the WRX and the WRX STi will get more power in the coming years.

It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I HIGHLY doubt that the 2.5 boxer 4 will every be putting out 365 hp from the factory however!

u're right sube555. i used "TCS" for the lack of a better word. heh.

IMHO, any car that has more than 6 forward cogs, should have SMG-type shift capability. Imagine the confusion of wondering what gear u're in! LOL.

SMG on a Subaru? Imagine the price! It will be a loooonnnngggg time before that happens.

Hehe, no problem there wunderkind.

The interesting thing about gearboxes, there are essentially 3 main types:

-Standard Manual (H-pattern w/ clutch)

-Sequential Manual (sequential gear shift w/ clutch)

-Automatic (torque converter)

I like simplicity and flexibility. The beautiful thing about the sequential manual gearbox is that you can't miss a gear, with the H-pattern you can shift into a different gear, but the sequential, all selections are in a straight line as seen per the link on one shift selection drum versus 2 or 3 shift rails. The SMG takes it a good bit farther taking the driver-operated clutch out of the equation, so you won't have bad or mis-shifts (still possible with a sequential manual unit) the computer clutches for you and blips the throttle when downshifting. Since you don't have to clutch, it can be run in the sequential mode with quick, positive, nearly flawless shifts, or automatic, it gives you the best of both worlds IMO. The more I think about it and look at it, it incorporates much of the best transmission technology essentially into one unit. And yes, it may cost slightly more than a manual, BMW says it's $2,400 msrp ($2,185 invoice) more on a $47,000 ($43,205 invoice) M-car and you know a bit of that price is buying the name, so essentially in an STi I care to say it would cost no more than $500-750 over the STi 6MT, could be stronger, incorporate launch control, shift faster, etc... The 5EAT sportshift is essentially a $1,200 option in itself over the strengthened 5MT (don't know the actual price difference with what a 6MT would cost extra, but I don't think an SMG-like 6-speed unit would cost an unreasonable cost to produce. It would also help Subaru's fuel economy across the board and the more widely used in a few minorly application-specific configurations, cost would rapidly drop.

• 1 year later...
Even if its true... would you really want to trade in the sleek and sexy looking 05/06 for the fugly front end thats on the tribeca and 06 WRX? Just wait for a while until people wreak them or want to sell or trade or something, then do an engine swap :)
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I was at my dealer today to get my windshield changed and the service manager told me about the following engines coming out in the next 1-2 years:

a 280 HP version of the Legacy 2.5L Turbo

a 310 HP version of the NA H6 for the Outback and the B9 (second year)

a 365 HP version of the 2.5L Turbo for the STi.

Can't verify any of these, but he's generally quite knowledgeable.

He's full of it.

• 2 weeks later...
I love the new Mr. Fusion upgrade... I hope they get the bugs worked out of that soon. I drove a test car last year for 3 weeks. I was feeding it my left over lunch scraps from taco bell. Car ran like a dream but the exhaust fumes were so bad I had to turn it back in.

From what I can understand the kit consists of an extra grease trap in the Mr. Fusion intake, that is just inserted in the intake pipe. The kit also includes a fume trap and air freshener for the interior and exterior of the car. Pretty easy install the only tricky part being the settings on the exterior air freshener, if not set up properly the car smells like feminine hygene products.

Please note that the kit will not allow the fusion of Tequilla, or Mexican beers with Mexican food. The end result will be that the car smells like a Mexican Bum's nut-sack, or as we know it Tijuana.

Archived