LegacyGT.com

VDC / Traction Control Effect?

Disclaimer: This is more of a technical inquiry than about performance gains.

I am wondering if by disabling the VDC (vehicle dynamic control) and traction control in the car, it would respond any differently under normal circumstances. I was playing around with it, and maybe it's in my head, but the car felt more responsive with it off. Of course not that power is being increased, but throttle response felt a bit better (very subtle (if I am not making it up all together)). Any opinions on this from a theoretical standpoint?

I go back and forth on ESP/VDC types of systems. On one hand, I think they're great if they work, to the point where they can enhance a car's performance. On the other, they're generally so tragically bad if you've every tracked a car that they're better off being disabled. Porsche's PSM is fantastic, you can tell they literally spend time tuning it to the nth degree. Most others though seem like they're getting a "base map" from a commercial vendor and barely tweaking more than they have to to adjust for the particular parameters of the car it's going onto. These systems pull timing and power and the first hints of slip and correct during cornering way before they need to. I also wonder, with systems that rely not just on wheel spin but also on some sort of gyro or g-force sensor (not even sure if this is the case with any, speculating here) if adding summer/sticky tire compounds with much higher g'limits just exacerbates the difference between when the ESP reacts vs. when it should react.

I've never driven a VDC equipped Subaru, but given how long it seems to have taken them to implement the system across the board, I can't help but think that they're not terribly refined yet with programming for performance vs. being overly aggressive towards limits/safety.

The VDC systems for consumer cars is generally designed to play it safe and detect slippage in an early stage. This means that for those of us that are used to a slight slippage may recognize the difference.

Another factor may be that the VDC also smoothens your actions on the throttle a bit so it can keep up with verifying that no serious slippage occurs. The actions of a VDC system is depending on computing power and there is a balance between cost and performance that has to be maintained. A vehicle like the Porsche may have more computing power for it's VDC system since the price tag of that car is a bit higher.

453747.png

I find it only gets in the way.. it kills the fun pedal when you want to go hard. And it doesn't do a good job either, it's got a voilent recovery (this is in BH though, first gen of anything is always crap)

I've seen two points of view on VDC systems.

Our AWD mini-van has it, and it does just as well in the snow as some SUV's I've owned. And, with the wifey driving it, I prefer to have it.

Now, a friend of mine turns the VDC system off EVERY time he gets in his 03' Mustang MACH 1. I personally don't think it belongs on that car, who else is gonna buy one except some guy expecting to replace the rear tires every 10K miles?

I would like to have it on mine, but I would probably turn it off if it wasn't snowing/icing out.

Problem with VDC systems is that they can't tell the difference between a dangerous situation and a fun one.

An off switch with a disclaimer is always nice. The off switch doesn't have to turn it off completely but keep it in passive mode rather than active so that it steps in when the driver is really about to kill themselves, I think the off switch Mercedes provides for their SL for example does this.

Now, a friend of mine turns the VDC system off EVERY time he gets in his 03' Mustang MACH 1. I personally don't think it belongs on that car, who else is gonna buy one except some guy expecting to replace the rear tires every 10K miles?

I traded in my 03 mustang gt for the spec b, and I would do the exact same thing. The mustang traction control was so horribly designed that it instead of applying the brakes or backing the throttle off, it would just CUT THE FUEL. imagine punching the gas to get across the intersection quickly only to have the car pretty much stall right in the middle :spin: not safe at all.

can you make the VDC default off with an AP/tune?

• 4 months later...

Archived