LegacyGT.com

Mazdaspeed6 faster than LGT

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things I noticed:

Only available in MT

Boost??? Should be lower than the GT with a 9.5:1 comp ratio

and like Boost said...the direct injection could limit this car for upgraded potential.

The one thing I do like is Mazda's color options. I wish Subaru had a titanium option like Mazda and Mitsubishi does. :)

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

The automatic 4-wheel drive uses an electronically-controlled clutch pack located just ahead of the rear differential that can vary torque distribution from 100 per cent to the front wheels to 50/50 front/rear.
:rolleyes: Another FWD based system.

Guest JessterCPA
:rolleyes: Another FWD based system.

Please educate me. I understand we have a "better" AWD system, but why? Why is a FWD based system inferior to ours?

The biggest problem with a FWD based system is that the front wheels already have to handle the steering and the majority of the braking. If they're also the main drive wheels its not hard to exceed their grip limits when the rears still have a good amount of grip. Depending on how aggresively the AWD system will take power from the front and send it to the rear this can be a big negative in terms of handling. Its hard to say for sure though without actually driving the car.

"By the time I got on the track, the morning rain had stopped and the track was predominantly dry. Earlier testers reported that the back end could step out of line under power - that rear-wheel drive effect - but it would only do that in the dry if you invoked it by lifting off on the throttle or with a gentle tap of the left foot on the brake pedal. "

Sounds a hell of a lot like a Legacy GT to me. If this holds true, good job in the AWD tuning Mazda!

-B

^^Its tough to believe that though when in the article said it was set on 100% front bias until the system sensed slip then went to a max of 50/50. Driving impression are a must, I will look to get some in the future.

Song of Post- Pink Floyd- Hey You

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

But that's not what the article said:

"to 50/50 front/rear, depending on signals from sensors measuring steering angle, yaw rate and throttle position."

It will be active in certain situations. Betting WOT from a stop it will send power to the rear before slip occurs/as slip occurs, not after it occurs. Same goes for certain cornering situations as well. Not just a cheapo "detects slip then reacts" system.

"peaks at 280 lb-ft at 3000 rpm, but which is virtually flat at that level from 2000 to 5500 rpm." More torque, lower peak RPM, and a wider range to boot than a Legacy GT. Hmm, I think I may put the toothbrushes away early! ;)

-B

I just read in road and track (I believe) that Mazda quoted a 5.5 0-60 estimate for the ms6 (after having heard conservative 6.2 before).. hrmm I better go out and get an AP ;)

they also said that the RX8 had 250 hp...

Would we all like a sonicare?

I had an FC RX-7 Turbo II, and it was just a tick or so slower than the new RX-8, rotaries are great all that car needs is two turbos and all will be good....

On a side note, its been hard adapting from the higher (almost non-existant) redline of the RX to the brick wall we hit at 6700rpm

I had an FC RX-7 Turbo II, and it was just a tick or so slower than the new RX-8, rotaries are great all that car needs is two turbos and all will be good....

On a side note, its been hard adapting from the higher (almost non-existant) redline of the RX to the brick wall we hit at 6700rpm

Didn't the Turbo II also have a fuel cut-off just past redline? Mine did.

With just HKS catback, high-flow intake, and gutted cat, my Turbo II ran a 14.2 1/4 mile. I'd take a perfectly preserved Turbo II over the RX-8 anyday as a daily driver.

The "8" is lame, you can't get any extra power out of it. In the late 80's the Turbo II was a trend-setter, the "8" is just a rehash of the normally-aspirated 2nd gen "7" with saturn doors.

I dont think my turbo II (an 88 10th anniversary) had a fuel cutoff, i took it all the way to the end of the redzone (over 8k rpm) by accident once, and frequently just past redline with no probs and no cutoff.

I had no mods but It was a great car tho, I sold it to my friend to by the LGT, well worth it but what an adjustment. But i was disappointed when I saw the numbers on the rx-8, at least they didnt call it the rx-7 and from what i understand there should be a new turbo rx-7 coming...hopefully itll live up to the FD which I still think is one of the best looking cars ever (especially w/ headlight conversion)..anyways.. :)

Hmmm...yeah I know mine was bought in Canada back in tha day. Where was your cutoff, i didnt dip into the redline that often so maybe i just didnt notice. But I do kno one time I screwed up and hit 8k.. fun cars tho, when i sold it i told my buddy "make it scare me again.." my buddy plans to get about 400-500hp out of it its gonna be sick, and scary :D

More to the topic..I must say, I think Mazda 6's look great, Protege mazdaspeed looks great (almost evosih if u squint) and the RX-8 soes look great. But man who the hell hit the Mazdaspeed 6 with the ugly stick. It looks like crap, the front bumper looks out of place, the spoiler is a friggen joke and whats with those snowflake wheels, even if they are 18s??? Anyways just MHO but I really think they could have done much better, or even just enhanced the Mazda 6 sports looks, ahh well I aint buying it :)

Your tellin me. :D I gotta be very careful in the GT, I approach 6000 rpm and I keep thinkin I have 3000 left to go to redline.

The Rx-8 will never sport twin turbos, however, there are companies like Greddy that have released a FI kit for the 8. Blitz has also released a very small roots type S/C as well (why I have no clue).

As for the Greddy kit....I'll post some numbers before and after the turbo on fri/sat. :)

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

• 3 months later...
I would have to respectfully disagree with the piston being more efficient. Yes, I have both a piston driven car and a rotary, so my opinion is far from biased.

Note* Peak power for the RX-8 is at 8500 RPM. 238@ 8500. Torque peak is 159 @ 5500.

Lets look at a few examples. The Honda S2000. A "marvel" of modern variably valve train engineering, the Honda S2000 does make 120hp/L, though of course it has to rev high to make that much power (as do all engines with small displacement high power output) The Honda S2000 makes 240 @ 8300 RPM. Hmmm... ~ same horse power, ~ same RPM, but wait, NOT THE SAME DISPLACEMENT?! wtf???

[cut]

Lets see, anything else? oh yes, torque.

Here, the rotary. As I mentioned, 159 @ 5500 RPM. Not bad, nothing amazing, but pretty good for a 1.3L engine.

The S2000, our current example for pistons is at 153 @ 7500 RPM. Am I seeing things, because it looks like the S2000 is the one revving super high for torque, not the rotary.

[cut]

Any other cars you want to compare it to? Honda's beloved VTEC: defeated. S2000 just can't compare in terms of efficiency. iVTEC? Ok, Acura RSX Type-S. 200hp @ 7400 RPM. Not bad, add another 1000 rpms and thats about the same as the RX-8, but still lacking in hp/L. Maybe torque will show us. 142Lb/ft @ 6000 RPM. Whats this? higher RPM and LESS torque than the rotary? Even with a full two litres of displacement and a super advanced valve train, pistons fail. Let's try against the noble VQ series engine. A personal favorite of just about every Nissan enthusiast (at least, it should be) 287hp @ 6200 RPM in the 350Z. Very nice, a lot of kick and a strong amount of hp/L especially for a V6. We'll add another 20% to account for the extra 2000 RPMs in the rotary red line, and we get ~ 350hp. so, that's about 100hp/L, compared to the rotary's 183. Beaten for efficiency? Yes. I've read of four-rotor 3L rotaries making ~ 500hp. on Torque, the results are very similar. 274Lb/ft @ 4800 RPM for the VQ. Of course, it isn't nearly as easy to extrapolate the torque in an engine as it can be in the hp. However if we add 10% or even 20%, the rotary is still more efficient. 153Lb/ft/1.3L compared to (at 20% increase) ~330 Lb/ft / 3.5L in the VQ series.

Finally, lets throw in a motorcycle engine, and see how they compare. The Ducati 999R. A 1L motorcycle engine, it makes 139 HP @ 9750 rpm. Revs higher than the RX-8, yet it still can't make as much hp/L. If the RX-8 could hit 10000rpms, it might make easily 300hp out of only 1.3L. If you need to know the torque for the motorcycle, it's only 80Lb/ft, at 8000 RPM.

Honestly, if anyone can argue against the efficiency of the rotary engine after all these figures, good luck."

Let's try MPG..

The S2000 is rated 20/26, whereas the RX8 is 18/24. A standard Legacy GT is 18/25 or thereabouts.

And reports say the RX8 is really around 15-18 unless you REALLY take it easy, where the Leg is 18-20.

Plus, RX8 is lighter, and rated (at least, the first place I found): 0-60: 5.9, 1/4: 14.5.

Those are very comparable to the Legacy. Yet, the Legacy is heavier.

If one could drop the Legacy engine into the RX8, is there ANY question it would be faster, all other things being equal?

Sure, you'd lose some handling, but...

With the lighter weight of the RX8, you might see 13s stock. And 20+ mpg to boot.

As you said - there are different versions of "truth" - efficiency is all in how you measure it :-)

HV

Archived