LegacyGT.com

Draining the ATF

C_randyjones

OK, I just read a thread that states that you can only get 4.2 quarts out of the tranny pan. Is taht right. That would explain my problem. I'm just going to top it off with 4 quarts of fresh and try to get a complete tranny flush soon.

That is true, the rest is trapped in the torque converter. To get it all out you would need a power flush machine (like BG).

That is true, the rest is trapped in the torque converter. To get it all out you would need a power flush machine (like BG).

i was really looking forward to switching over to a synthetic fluid in the diffs and the tranny. something along the lines of amsoil. now i can only get 4 quarts in it? is there any other way to get all of the fluid out? or maybe anyone know a shop that will use the fluid i provide? how has everyone else switched over to another fluid? (redline, royal purple, amsoil...etc) this might not work.... but would it work to leave the drain plug open with the car completed off the ground and to let the car idle in drive and pour fluid in the filler tube? would this slowly replace all of the fluid or does the torque converter need to get up to a certain speed? thanks for all the help.:)

When I called a local dealer who used BG products including the BG flush machine they said they would use whatever fluid I provided. For my 05 LGT I have to be prepared for 11 quarts.

That is all in the past for me as I now have the IPT 5EAT and TC. When we filled it after getting it back from IPT it took just a hair shy of 8 quarts of AmsOil synthetic ATF, apparently there was a little shipped in it.

The specific process the way you are doing it says to measure what you take out and replace exactly that same amount. For me that usually came out to just shy of 4 qts.

Although I usually did another change a short time later I knew I wasn't doing it right. To do it right you have to flush it. Unfortunately there have been reports of the wrong fluids being used and ruining transmissions. Finding an intelligent operator of a flushing device seems the real trick. Having your own transmission fluid in hand would seem necessary.

i usually get about 3 1/2 out of a drain and fill. i try to do it everytime i change the oil which is usually like 5-6k miles with full synthetic. ive been doing this to my last 2 cars and have never had a tranny issue. i also installed a b&m supercooler which im sure helps a little

• 2 months later...

sschmelcke-you drain/refill on every oil chg? interesting

anyways, was wondering if adding the bg atc+ to each drain refill is bad? meaning, is the conditioner/additive for trans fluid that has never had it added, or does it not matter? as in, is too much bg mixed in with the trans fluid bad? since i havent done a flush (or am wary), but want to eventually get the old fluid out, i am going to be doing a few drain/refills. so-should i keep adding the bg each time i change the trans fluid?

does anybody else have any suggestions on the bg atc+ additive drain/refill process im going to be doing? as in, yes, add another can of bg to my next drain/refill, or no, dont (or wait til x interval) because its going to be too 'concentrated'?

thanks.

your safest bet is just a drain and fill every few oil changes. keeps the fluid mainly fresh and clean. ive heard to many horror stories about flushes. ive done the drain and fill on my last 3 cars and those trannies have been perfect, fluid has also been nice and red everytime i drained and filled so it was running clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: While this method seem to work on most cars, it is up to you to verify that it will work on the Suby...

to do your own flush, it's pretty easy for the most part. even easier if you're installing a cooler at the same time because it seems like you have to cut the return hose.

Start by draining and refilling the pan with new fluid.

unplug cut or whatever you gotta do to divert the return hose into a bucket(between the radiator and transmission there are two hoses, one is sending fluid from transmission to radiator for cooling, and one returns the fluid from radiator back into the transmission, you want the return since there is old fluid in the radiator), start car idle, let out 1-2 quarts of fluid, refill what you let out through dipstick, repeat, until only new fluid is coming out. so idea is instead of returning fluid back into transmission, you're diverting it out and replenishing with new fluid through dipstick hole. This is a method published everywhere. This won't harm the transmission like concerns with certain powerflush systems because it uses the transmission's own pump.

This is easier with two people so the second person can see how fast the fluid is coming out and have the first person shut off the car

Anyone have any idea for the my thread I posted about which subaru ATF fluid works or are they all the same?

I think I need to start draining and filling on the 4 quart method. Purchased the car used but had fresh fluid change and flush by the dealer. Since then I've put about 20k on the car without any fluid change or flush and it is just now starting to look a little dirty. Just went to Stage 2 recently also so I know I need to start watching my 5EAT closely. Already have 5 quarts of the Subie fluid at home, maybe I'll do it this weekend.

I think I need to start draining and filling on the 4 quart method. Purchased the car used but had fresh fluid change and flush by the dealer. Since then I've put about 20k on the car without any fluid change or flush and it is just now starting to look a little dirty. Just went to Stage 2 recently also so I know I need to start watching my 5EAT closely. Already have 5 quarts of the Subie fluid at home, maybe I'll do it this weekend.

i think most would recommend that you also get a trans cooler once youre stg2 (if you havent already). the trucool 4454 is a popular choice.

What i did on hondas is that i removed both of the hoses from the radiator and the return went to a funnel for adding fresh fluid while the other hose went to a bucket where i collected the old fluid. Also i ran the car thru every gear. It really made a difference in shifting as hondas are not known for really smooth shifts.

i think most would recommend that you also get a trans cooler once youre stg2 (if you havent already). the trucool 4454 is a popular choice.

I know...another item on my to-do list. Ever since I went Stage 2 though, I have been taking it pretty easy on the throttle with gas prices as high as they are. I've probably only floored it through all the gears 3-4 times in the past 2 months. Other than that, I'm grannying it.

Archived