LegacyGT.com

safe levels of boost

FoxHound

i have a stage 1 on my gt at about 15 psi. i just got my downpipe and i am going to a stage two. there is a subaru tuner shop close to my house that is going to do it for me. my question is what is a safe level of boost for the car? i have a k&n intake, invida downpipe, borla cat back exhaust. thanks

The stock TMIC doesn't like over 16.5psi from what I have read on this forum.

i have a stage 1 on my gt at about 15 psi. i just got my downpipe and i am going to a stage two. there is a subaru tuner shop close to my house that is going to do it for me. my question is what is a safe level of boost for the car? i have a k&n intake, invida downpipe, borla cat back exhaust. thanks

It depend on what you mean by safe? Are you talking about the motor, turbo, or the TMIC? People have see TMIC tanks tabbs start to seperate at stage 2. But from what I have read it's not all or even half of stage 2 people that have this problem. People that have had the problem have found that JB weld solves the problem. I heard of the problem so made a FMIC so it's no longer a problem. Plus the car reaches peak boost faster and no more heat soak. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74489

Most say the stock motor can make upto about 400whp before you have to go inside the motor. Stock LGTs dyno at about 195 to 220whp depending on dyno.

I'm self tunning and I have a FMIC and I have my stock turbo running at 18 psi on crappy CA91 gas with no problem and my friend is getting 20 psi on race gas and we both are not have a knock or pulling timing. The biggest thing to worry about is the timing and tune as the boost goes up. Knock will destory your motor. I have see "protunes" knock at 15 psi. Just a word to the wise always datalog your car after a tune. You have to buy a $80 cable and the program is free. Just to be safe.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived