LegacyGT.com

What would you pay?

Hi,

Im new to the Forum, but not to Suby.

I previously owned a 97 Legacy GT from 59k to 128k.

Due to limited budget my cars are only daily drivers.

I found an insanely mint 98 Legacy Sdn Gt with under 25k on the clock.

The question is this:

What would you pay for the car?

Thanks!

Hi Reagon,

Just a thought: Legacy Sedans are not cars that truly benefit from being mint (i.e. they aren't collectors cars, per se). Further, a 10 year old vehicle with only that many miles really means it has barely been driven...which isn't good for cars on the whole. For instance, a similar model with 100-120k well-maintained miles may actually be in better mechanical (though no aesthetic) shape.

I would look at similar sales or KBB for a car with normal mileage, and then add 10-20% for the low mileage.

Also, run a carfax on it to make sure that mileage is accurate.

Joe

He is right if the car has sat for years it wont be in good condition, even if everything seems good, but if the car was stored and properly maintained it could still be in amazing shape. My uncles 71 Camaro has 7800miles on the clock and everything on that car works and looks perfect. Its all about how they were taken car of.

Thanks,

Ill take any input at this point.

The good news is I owned the identical car for 6 yrs.

From experience I know the car well..The seller seems firm at 8k.

What should I look for knowing the car has barely been driven in 10 yrs.

Unfortuanately I cant bring my mechanic to see the car, its a distance from me.

Deteriorating rubber seals. Rubber rots, especially when it's not being used and in the case of things like A/C system seals lubricated.

So, anywhere there is rubber would be a good place to start. weatherstripping, test drive it listen for worn bushings, generally indicated by loud knocks and rattles (but could also be rotted exhaust system mounts) sloppy handling would also be an indication.

Look for tire rot.

Turn on the A/C if it doesn't work it's most likely the rubber O-rings in the system which are numerous and VERY expensive to have replaced (labor intensive involving dash removal)

Give the hoses a squeeze and the belts a look, most likely all of them will have to be replaced.

A car thats been sitting that long will probably have rust and or water in the gas tank/fuel system. Gas goes bad when it just sits, it gets gummy and nasty and screws up the lines, as well as the injectors. Though, most likely you will smell bad gas, it's just something to look out for.

Check the brake calipers and make sure they are not frozen.

Check the coolant, with such low mileage it wouldn't be out of the question that it hasn't been flushed. This means corrosion. lots of it.

so, just a brief idea of what to look for.

Thanks,

Ill take any input at this point.

The good news is I owned the identical car for 6 yrs.

From experience I know the car well..The seller seems firm at 8k.

Unfortuanately I cant bring my mechanic to see the car, its a distance from me.

8K seems like a crap ton of cash for that car - I think you'd be better off looking for a car with more mileage... probably get one in really nice shape for around ~5k.

8K seems like a crap ton of cash for that car - I think you'd be better off looking for a car with more mileage... probably get one in really nice shape for around ~5k.

That for me would be working in reverse. My father always said look for low mileage cars. I agree with him. Lower miles=less wear=less problems.

For 5k you get dont get too much.

I would look very, very, very carefully at the car. Carfax it. There should be a very good story to explain why a grocery getter car only has 25k miles on it. I tend to disbelieve the odometer if it's so far below normal mileage. This isn't an Aston Martin, that would not be unusual to have that mileage. I know it's not the same car but I would sell my wife's 02 outback limited out from under her for $8k without a second thought. It's got about 78k miles on it.

jack

That for me would be working in reverse. My father always said look for low mileage cars. I agree with him. Lower miles=less wear=less problems.

For 5k you get dont get too much.

There is a difference between low miles and insanely low miles. Your average person drives 10-15k a year, so if you can get something with around that you're doing good. A car with only ~20k that is 10 years old... might not have been driven lately, and cars that sit don't do so good. A well maintained car with 110k miles on it would probably be better, cheaper, and IMHO more reliable.

Archived