LegacyGT.com

Your take: '87 CRX Si

I'm thinking about picking up this car and would like your opinion. I just need a commuter car, and think the head gasket should be a relatively easy fix. Here's the ad.

Thanks!!

I am selling my 1987 CRX Si. It's a car with great potential and is great on gas too (35 to 44 Mpg).

I have replaced many parts :

-new Tockico Illumina adjustable shocks (+ a set of almost new KYBs)

-Timing belt

-water pump and thermostat

-radiator

-starter

-alternator

-battery

-CLUTCH

-Clutch cable

-Transmission has been replaced with a very strong and smooth shifting one (Old one goes to car, didn't shift into 5th gear

-CD player

The odometer is at 215000 miles and the engine was rebuilt at 160000 miles. It runs strong.

The exterior is in good condition end the little rust on it is cosmetic only: the frame is perfectly fine.

Interior is fairly clean with only a piece of the side of the driver seat missing.

The only real problem with this car is that it runs hot (Not redline) and may need a head gasket.

http://images.craigslist.org/0101020102120116092008030262169bd637c182795200adcd.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/01010401150101160820080302065630399d32563835000f7b.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/010110011505011608200803022f14285c8093c360e00084fa.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/0101020102100104122008030205c71aa6e8489e098d00a894.jpg

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

selling cheap if it needs a head gasket? hell, if everything else was cool on it, I'd hit it. I need one.!
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Hmm - not sure.....not definite that all that is needed is a new headgasket. Last thing you want in a commuter car is to be stuck as the side of the road......

Not to mention that car is older that some of the newbs that are showing up here lately in the "previously owned" LGTs.

A head gasket problem would eventualy lead to overheat. Did you drive it for at least a half hour? If it runs hot in traffic, it is an airflow problem. If it runs hot on the freeway it is a coolant flow or radiator effiency problem. The tranny probably lost fifth gear because Honda uses 10w-30 MOTOR OIL in the MT's. Not gear oil, classic failure is fifth gear.

That is a great car, entertaining to drive too. You should look carefully at the rear suspension parts and rear subframe areas for rot. Those areas are notorious on those models.

Friend had one of these, great car. Check closely for rust esp around suspension mounts. If you like the car the engine can be swapped worst comes to worst. Lots of Honda bits out there.
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

Thanks for all the advice! I am going to take a look at it tonight. He said it runs hot, not redline, but hot. He also said that there is no rust, but that I'll need to verify on my own. Thanks for the info and trouble points.

If you ever plan on modding the car at all I would make sure you find a 89+ Civic or CRX. You'll find it a lot easier to find the good suspension parts with the forged rear lower control arms as opposed to those sheet metal arms on the pre-88 cars.

FWIW I found an unmolested 1990 Civic HX hatch with 135k on the motor. So far all i've done is a new clutch, a half-shaft, and oil changes. I'm up to 160k now and I average about 38-40 mpg. It makes me really appreciate my Legacy when I hop into that Civic every morning...

So... now my stable consists of an '85 Solid axle, EFI 4Runner built (locked, lifted, armored, etc.... ) and a brand new to me '87 CRX Si. I test drove it and it was great. Very little rust on the fenders, none below. It came with Toyco (?)5 way adjustable dampening shocks, and all the new parts listed above in the first post, and the old KYB shocks and tranny. It also has only 50k on the rebuilt engine that runs very strong. It only runs at 3/4 hot, so nothing to kill anything. I paid $1k. The battery needs to be replaced and I need to repair the head gasket. The old owner knew this car in and out. He has done all the work on it himself, and was close with the previous owners. He autoX'd it here in Colorado, and with the previous owner it won a national title. I am still looking for that hard data, but it seems is has a bit of pedigree in it.

I'm stoked. It will be fun to drive, and now I have a good variety to use in any weather and condition Colorado throws at me. This should be fun in the mountains!

So... now my stable consists of an '85 Solid axle, EFI 4Runner built (locked, lifted, armored, etc.... ) and a brand new to me '87 CRX Si. I test drove it and it was great. Very little rust on the fenders, none below. It came with Toyco (?)5 way adjustable dampening shocks, and all the new parts listed above in the first post, and the old KYB shocks and tranny. It also has only 50k on the rebuilt engine that runs very strong. It only runs at 3/4 hot, so nothing to kill anything. I paid $1k. The battery needs to be replaced and I need to repair the head gasket. The old owner knew this car in and out. He has done all the work on it himself, and was close with the previous owners. He autoX'd it here in Colorado, and with the previous owner it won a national title. I am still looking for that hard data, but it seems is has a bit of pedigree in it.

I'm stoked. It will be fun to drive, and now I have a good variety to use in any weather and condition Colorado throws at me. This should be fun in the mountains!

Congrats! I am a former Honda technician, I know that car very well. PGMFI FTW! PM me if you have issues. Good luck!

Congrats! I am a former Honda technician, I know that car very well. PGMFI FTW! PM me if you have issues. Good luck!

Thanks! I am looking into the few small issues it has and I got the Haynes manual, so I'll dig in tomorrow and see where my basic knowledge falls short; I'll probably take you up on that offer!

I like the newer ones too, but all the ones I have seen out here are heavily modified or they are asking $3k. Too much imho.

This one will work, and be fun!

Once you get the heat / head gasket issue figured out, you're going to like this car. My second car was an '87 CRX Si, and I really liked it. Plus it's great on gas. I managed to squeeze 48 Hwy MPG on one occasion.

Archived