LegacyGT.com

Used '05 purchase...

StanG

Hi,

I don't own a Subaru, yet, but I'm hoping to join the family soon :)

Here's what I found: '05 Legacy GT LTD with MT, dark blue with 1200 miles on the odometer. The only options the car has is the rearview selfdimming mirror.

The dealer is asking $24,500 for the car and I don't think he'll go down any more.

The interesting thing about the car is that it IS used - it was titled roughly month ago and is already available for resale. The dealer said that dealer's family member bought the car and turned it in soon after. Should I be worried about this?

TIA,

Stan

I don't think the car was involved in an accedent, but I'll double check it once I go back to the dealer. FWIW, the carfax does come back clean....

There are 2 possibilities I can see:

1) Something was wrong with the car, and they took it back (unlikely, but still....).

2) They have too many in stock so they staged the original sale and are selling the car as USED.

Sounds a little pricey for a car that's technically used now.

While technically true, here's how I look at this: even though the car is technically used, it only has 1200 miles, and I'm saving ~$2500 vs buying new. The low financing on the new ones would make up some of the difference, but not quite.....

I'd check to see if it was a Dealer or Manufacturer "Buy Back" car.

These are LEMONS that have been "reconditioned" (hahahahahhaha) and are offered for sale at a reduced price.

There's also the possibility that the car was damaged when it was first sold (as was / is mine), and the dealer actually agreed to take it back, rather than disappoint a customer and risk legal action.

Before you buy, you should shop around for a better deal.

For example, my car was discounted about $2000 below MSRP, then the dealer offered another $500 off if the car was sold between Christmas and New Years.

Add the 2.9% financing for 60 months (1.9% had I gone for 36 months), and I think I got a pretty good deal (except for the unknown paint damage...)

There are good deals out there, but you have to look for them.

You might try Autobytel.

Probably a rollback. Dealer sold it to someone with questionable credit, then had to take it back when none of the banks/finance companies would finance the buyer. Cars like that have to resold as used, at least here in California.

I would be more concerned about a dealer that lies to you about the car's history than the actual history itself :rolleyes:

Steve

Def a good idea on the Carfax. Make sure you have them work the numbers on that car and a new one so you can see what the real difference between the two is (in fact, ask to see the invoice if you haven't already). Then at that point, go with what feels right because either way you've got to pay for it. Good luck.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Probably a rollback. Dealer sold it to someone with questionable credit, then had to take it back when none of the banks/finance companies would finance the buyer. Cars like that have to resold as used, at least here in California.

I would be more concerned about a dealer that lies to you about the car's history than the actual history itself :rolleyes:

Steve

I don't think the dealer lied to me... Not yet, at least :)

Afterall, the car IS marketed as USED.

Ur a bus has a good point. A bad credit return is a possibility. It may also be that the dealer promised the previous buyer a particularly low interest rate on financing, but was unable to obtain it without a hefty down payment. If the buyer didn't have the necessary cash, the deal would have folded.

There are several possible reasons that the car had already been sold.

I still think you should shop around first though, as you MAY find the exact same car for a similar price without a record of prior sale.

FWIW, the Carfax comes back clean....

As far as shopping around goes - I have been, but w/o any additional incentives, it's impossible to get the car (too much) below invoice. Even if the dealer digs into his holdback, it's still not possible to get the car under $25K.

A used car should definitely sell for under invoice. Invoice is for new cars. If you had bought that car, drove it for 1200 miles, and tried to sell it back to the dealer, do you think you would have received close to invoice price for it? Not likely. I'm not trying to sound like a "know-it-all", but there should be a recognizable difference between the price of the a new car and a used one. If you can't see it, then maybe it's not that good of a deal for you, but a great deal for the dealership.

yea i've seen that car on auto trader...just check with carfax.

I know that IL lemon laws are not like WI so be careful.

Also since the car was sold from that dealership, they should be able to pull up all/any service records for you. Even tho the 3/36 will cover you well in case any troubles do arise.

I'd offer 23.5K and only settle for 24.5K if they install more options

Good luck

A used car should definitely sell for under invoice. Invoice is for new cars. If you had bought that car, drove it for 1200 miles, and tried to sell it back to the dealer, do you think you would have received close to invoice price for it? Not likely. I'm not trying to sound like a "know-it-all", but there should be a recognizable difference between the price of the a new car and a used one. If you can't see it, then maybe it's not that good of a deal for you, but a great deal for the dealership.

I was actually replying to LeGreatOne's post, where he suggested that I should keep looking and maybe finding one with no prior sale record -> NEW one for less.

As far as the price difference between new and used car goes - the difference is there! The only thing that's questionable is - is the difference enough ($2500-$3000) and is something wrong with the car.

Gotcha, Stan. I just wouldn't want you to get screwed on your purchase. No harm, no foul. By the way, I just noticed you're in Illinois. Where are you planning to buy? If you don't mind me asking.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Carfax isn;t all that great- if you don't report an accident and just have it fixed, they never know- I know this because two of my cars have been in the body shop and I searched for the problems and none were listed.

Steve

Ding, ding, ding ding - Bingo.

I'd ask specifically how the dealer came to have the car and its origins. If they are less than forthcoming, I'd ask if it was a roll-back, or dealer takeback due to financing fall through. It would be interesting to see how much they received on the first sale which might not have to be returned to the buyer. That would give you a good starting point for the car.

Since it is now technically "used", the depreciation should be slightly more than the "offered" price. Offer them 750-1K less and be willing to work up slightly from there.

There's money to be made here, at least on the dealer's side of the deal so work your best deal if you want it.

Conversely as someone mentioned, if you shop around, you may find a similar "new" car for similar or less money.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Gotcha, Stan. I just wouldn't want you to get screwed on your purchase. No harm, no foul. By the way, I just noticed you're in Illinois. Where are you planning to buy? If you don't mind me asking.

Hey, I'm a big boy :)

The dealer is Gerald in Naperville.

You should be able to get a new one for around $26K and change. $1500 difference is minimal as a monthly payment, almost nil after you factor in the 2.9% financing deal for new vs. around 5-6% for used. Even at $27K, the delta would be only $20/month due to the finance charges.

The dealer certainly has far less than $23K in it. Typical margins they are willing to accept are about $1K on used, especially if it's a late model with no miles, like the one you are looking at.

Archived