LegacyGT.com

DIY grill for my '08 spec b

dmross

I drilled two small holes in the plastic part that the emblem connects to and safety wired it to the grill. I also used clear silicone since it moved around a little.

To hold it in place I ran a zip-ty through the grill and around the emblem till it dried.

I also used silicone on the emblem itself.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Figured i'd bump this in case anyone else is going to make a custom grill. I will be doing this as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.

You can get a wide variety of "mesh" at home depot or lowes for under $10, just a heads up. If anyone wwants details let me know.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its pretty easy if you have a good dremel tool. There will be some spaces to fill, or you could leave them, not super noticeable. Or you could trim the back of the grill in a bit to remove the spaces. Kind of hard to explain you have to see it.

Here is mine, I think i might change to a different mesh, but that is easy.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/kylar27/DSCF2155-1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/kylar27/DSCF2170-1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/kylar27/DSCF2194.jpg

I'm jealous. That just looks way too good. And also i don't get much of how to bondo the parts that were cut. If some one can explain a little how i would do it or next person please take pics, i would appreciate it a lot. Thanks

Actually it depends how much of a perfectionist you are, and where you want to mount the grill. On the 08 if you cutout the wings, etc to make an open hole there will be areas that need to be filled.

If you mount the grill in between the front trim it wont be very noticeable. If you want the mount the grill from the back to give it a deeper opening then it would definitely need to be trimmed or filled.

• 3 months later...

Throttlejockey,

I checked out the link to the exact mesh you used and it doesn't appear to work - goes to "product not found" on customcargrills.com site. Could you give us a bit more info about this?

I'm really considering doing it, but I've also been kicking around the idea of ordering the c-mod grill I've seen on eBay. I haven't found many people using it so I haven't gotten to read any real reviews about the quality. I like the idea of getting a grill for $150 from eBay and having the stock grill that I can go back to if I decide to later. Anyone have any idea what the cost is for a replacement grill if we want to go back to stock?

im in the process of making a custom grille myself. i've dremeled out most of the centerpiece and just have to touch up the edges for a smooth finish. i wanted to make honeycombish jdm looking grille but i've always been a fan of mesh grilles and throttlejockeys grille might be a deciding factor in my final product

• 3 months later...
The grills came out great.. I have a question, does anyone kno if would I be able to do this DIY grill on my 2005 legacy GT??? Would the chrome part snap in and out the same way??? I been looking for a grill for sometime but thought the ones I seen were a little tacky.. And plus I like the chrome still there

Archived