LegacyGT.com

DIY grill for my '08 spec b

dmross

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. The chrome trim is attached differently and you have to bondo the parts you cut out. There is a walkthrough in the cheap DIY mods sticky in the 4th gen thread I think.

The semi-pro one

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-grill-done-right-plus-62899.html?p=1191120

You can probably skip the texturing parts, but its a really thorough walkthrough.

It's cool; I'm with the band

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The previous owner of my LGT did a similar mod. After a while, the mesh part of the grill bent waay out of place and looked absolutely terrible so I put the OEM one back on it almost immediately after purchase.

I think he did it actually because I have come to find out in recent weeks it has had a substantial amount of bodywork done so he went inexpensive on grill replacement. Too bad Utah is a non disclosure state so carfaxes don't mean s***. at least most of the body work is decent, yeah?

• 2 months later...
Figured i'd bump this in case anyone else is going to make a custom grill. I will be doing this as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.

You can get a wide variety of "mesh" at home depot or lowes for under $10, just a heads up. If anyone wwants details let me know.

Please provide details on the $10 mesh from home depot or lowes. Also, what kind of paint did you use to paint the chrome trim? Did you have to sand it to get the paint to stick?

Please provide details on the $10 mesh from home depot or lowes. Also, what kind of paint did you use to paint the chrome trim? Did you have to sand it to get the paint to stick?

They have bbq grill which is a stronger diamond mesh in different sizes, they also have other mesh designs in different areas of the store.

I peeled off all the chrome and sanded the plastic underneath to get the paint to stick, otherwise it always ends up chipping off, even if the chrome is sanded prior to painting. If thats too much work(and it is a pain in the ass) I would recommend wraping it in vinyl. It will last longer and wont peel or chip.

For the mesh use some self etching primer and paint. In the future I will be powder coating my mesh.

• 4 years later...
So i went ahead and leaned alot about bogging and sanding and how not to use mesh! finnished result is good though I think.

Did the lights, Grill and lower mesh to boot! Im lovin mods!

Photo: can't see grill as its too dark. Looking to cheap custom mine too...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Archived