LegacyGT.com

Extended Warrenty?

KTM 525

I met with the "sales manager/finance guy yesterdat to finalize the deal. He offered up a 6yr bumper to bumper extended warrenty for 1,900 dollars. I passed on it but couls call back and take it as the car is not here yet (any day). Whats the story on this? Seemed like a BIG profit making deal for the dealer.

Generally not a good deal. $1900 for 6 years 1st How many miles? (70k,100k) 2nd How much of a deductable? (zero, $50.00, 100.00). In my opinion MAYBE if 6yr. 100,000 mi. and ZERO deductable depending on your needs. Does not sound like a deal for you--good for the dealer to get $ 1900 today.

I've posted about this before, but the extended warranty is general not a good idea at the time of purchase. The main reason is that you can purchase an extended warranty from Subaru at any time up until the original warranty expires. So if you are not positive that you are still going to have the car after three years, wait and see. Only risk is that you forget to purchase the extended warranty before the original expires, if that happens, you are SOL and can't get one (at least from Subaru). If you buy the extended warranty at purchase, but then sell your car before the original warranty is up, you will still only get a portion of your $1900 back. $1900 also sounds like A LOT for the standard Subaru extended warranty. Sounds to me like you made a very good move by not purchasing one.

A few other considerations with the extended warranty. They offer free maintenance, free rental cars during repairs, and they cover "wear and tear". the factory warranty only covers defects. At the dealer where I have been going, they seem to treat you much better when they see that you have the extended warranty... I'm not saying this is right on their part, but it is something to consider. A friend of mine with a WRX under factory warranty had to pay to have his flywheel replaced b/c they said it was wear and tear...

Archived