LegacyGT.com

Need To Know

Ok so I'm installing my new HID lights and have the air box out of my 08 3.0R. I am wondering what the hell this thing that's attached to the bottom is and if I can remove it. It seems pointless. asorry for the crappy pic but it's with my iphone. you can see what IM talking about. Is it like an air silencer or something? Ill just get rid of it if it's pointless.

IMG_0089.thumb.jpg.b63aed081b5672e42adf0b8404c79ecc.jpg

Ok so I'm installing my new HID lights and have the air box out of my 08 3.0R. I am wondering what the hell this thing that's attached to the bottom is and if I can remove it. It seems pointless. asorry for the crappy pic but it's with my iphone. you can see what IM talking about. Is it like an air silencer or something? Ill just get rid of it if it's pointless.

If you remove it, can you let me know if you notice a difference in sound? I'm curious...just like Britney's perfrume.

It's a resonance box attached to the air filter box. If you remove it you may want to plug it too, since the air intake usually uses the car speed to improve a little on the airflow into the box and if you drop it out you may lose one or two HP at high speeds.

Matter of taste if you want to remove it.

453747.png

If you remove it, can you let me know if you notice a difference in sound? I'm curious...just like Britney's perfrume.

There is very much a sound difference with the silenver intake off. Just a little louder.

sounds pretty dang good without it guys. I suggest taking it off if you have the H6. The motor sounds nice and deep at lower RPM's. I didn't notice any power differences right away but it sounds great. I left the hole unplugged so I can get the nice cool air from underneath the car. Suggest anyone to do it. .. and to get HID lights.

IMG_0058.thumb.jpg.71f6c8e345b7e7f23af88f485d051248.jpg

sounds pretty dang good without it guys. I suggest taking it off if you have the H6. The motor sounds nice and deep at lower RPM's. I didn't notice any power differences right away but it sounds great. I left the hole unplugged so I can get the nice cool air from underneath the car. Suggest anyone to do it. .. and to get HID lights.

Any way you can do a sound sample? May be asking much, I know. I'd like a little more rumble, but not at the expense of making it noisier at freeway speeds.

i have no video camera so no way I can do something now. Honestly though, It takes a total of 5 minutes to do this, and you won't have to cut anything off because there is a little lock pin thing that holds it together. Try it out for a day then you'll know.

In regards to the air silencer removal I am contemplating having some custom plumbing put towards the lower grill area and having a ram air style pickup down there. Maybe like an intercooler look.
The air filter is already fed cold air through the snorkus. Also, ram air wont happen without a properly designed intake funnel. But, running ducting to the grill would be better than leaving the hole open allowing hotter engine compartment air to be sucked into the bottom of the intake box.

My 2 cents, leave the silencer off if you like the sound, don't bother with the ducting as you will not notice any performance gains.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived