LegacyGT.com

Major Question

We just got 3 inches of snow and i m driving and messing around. Getting a feel of the road. I have good traction , but when i press the brakes i cant stop hehhehehhe my abs pump goes off and i just keep going down the street. God forbid i really needed to stop bammmmmm

IS IT MY BRAKES OR THE RE92AS

I GOT 13,000 MILES

AND SOMETIMES MY BREAKS SUCK IN NORMAL CONDITIONS

WHAT IS IT AND SOME ALTERNATIVES

Keep more space between you and the car ahead, and take corners slowly. :)

True snow tires will help, but it'll never stop as quick on snow as on pavement.

ABS in the Legacy feels like it pumps the brakes kinda slow, but I only have one other car to compare it to so I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not. I don't think there's anything to be done about that anyway.

2 things on our cars completely sucks on snow:

1: RE92s

2: ABS

If you have both at the same time on snow, it will suck infinitely more.

If you want to fix it, start with the tires though.

But for now, slow down, keep your distances and brake early (which you should always do in poor traction conditions anyway).

I do keep a lot of distance and more cautious i was just testing out my car to see how it reacts. (i recommended it to everyone getting in touch with your cars inner workings heheheh)

I can say that breaking felt so much better in my old 04 jetta and a friends brand new altima I dont know why but they had horrible traction when accelerating duhh they got front wheel drive.

See if you can hold the brakes just before the ABS kicks in. That usually shortens the stopping distance for me. By a lot.

Threshold braking, it will give you the shortest stopping distances. Dedicated snow tires, or even just winter tires will improve your distances greatly. ABS is only good for allowing you too steer around obstacles while trying to panic stop.

For regular conditions, most members report good results from pad/rotor/s.s. brakeline upgrades. This will improve pedal feel but your stopping distance will be dictated by the traction available from the tires.

See if you can hold the brakes just before the ABS kicks in. That usually shortens the stopping distance for me. By a lot.

The catch here is that the ABS kicks in for a single wheel first, and in that case it also means that easing of then can cause the other wheels to not get the full braking power. But of course - ABS is not perfect either and the results can be unpredictable. The natural reflex is also to ease off the brake pedal when the ABS kicks in which is a problem too.

And without ABS at all there is a "poor man's ABS" style where you pump the brake pedal instead when trying to stop in slippery conditions. That allows you to gain sufficient control to both bring speed down and to possibly avoid the target or at least limit the damage.

453747.png

When conditions are really slippery, drive in higher gear than you usually do which will give you the engine brake. It kills gas mileage, but you will be able to stop faster with the engine braking for you.

Your driving too fast for the conditions/car currently. The major limiting factor is the RE92a's that simply have poor winter traction.

I use Nokian WR G2's and its very rare to have the abs go off.

Archived