LegacyGT.com

So how bad are the...

wheatleya

General exclaim UHP's

I have heard very mixed reviews. Some people love them, some people hate them. Here is what I want to know.

I know they are not going to be a RE-01 or RT-615 in terms of grip, but thats not what I am looking for.

I want a tire that much stickier than the re-92 and is good in the rain. I also want a tire that will get me through 3 1/2 seasons. I do drive in the cold a few months out of the year, but I don't drive in snow. I have another car for that.

I have also heard they are very heavy. How stiff is the sidewall, and what are their handling characteristics.

How is the tread life...

How is the noise...

Other choices are Falken 912's, kuhmo SPT's, and sumitomo HTRZ III's I know some of these are summers and some are all seasons.

How about Potenza RE960? Great all season tire with superb wet performance, and decent summer grip... not as cheap as the others you have mentioned, but if you want longevity, it is the better choice.

EDIT: 960, thanks Krzys!

Cincinnati ohio. I have about two or three months of temps that stay around 40 degrees, sometimes colder.

My car is a lgt 5mt wagon I will purchase 225 45 17, I know the problems with running summers in the cold, but I have heard that the UHP's are not really a summer like others.

Still leaning towards the Falken 912's, any other suggestions. For around 100 or less.

Personally for the money I'd rather have the Kumho SPT's at $86 apiece or the Fuzion's at $85 apiece. Just look at how much better the testing turned out for those two than the Generals.

Kumho SPT > Fuzion ZRi

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Falken 512 were great tires - they get a little loud as the wear down, but offer good wet/dry performance and some snow grip. At one point we had 8 local cars with 512s. Their replacement, the 912s are even better, but a little heavier. They are also quieter, and their sidewalls are stiffer when compared with the 512s.

Pm if you have more questions about the Falkens.

I have the Exclaim UHP's on my 06 Civic SI. I've got ~17000 miles on them now.

I drive a FWD 2800 pound low torque, high HP, tightly geared FWD w/ LSD car....

So take this for what it's worth :)

I got the tires on on June 28, 2007. They cost $73 a piece from tirerack...add another $10 a piece for shipping.

They weigh 18 pounds per tire...this is the LIGHTEST tire you will find in 215/45/17. Can't speak to other sizes...it is lighter than Falken Ziex 512 and Continental ContiExtremes....

The sidewall is quite soft. I have them pumped up to 38-40 PSI all around to keep a tighter feeling. At 32 PSI, they feel a little wobbly...no big deal, each tire needs it's own PSI. One of my small complaints about this tire is that it doesn't feel as substantial as my previous crappy michelin all seasons (stock tires on the car).

The tire rides smooth...they suppress sharpness nicely, noise is very good when new...starting to produce some noise now. It has a very straight feeling to it, but at 17k I feel some slight "dartiness" at specific speeds. Hard to tell though, could be my alignment or the bad PA roads. Not consistent either...so, just mentioning it.

Wet traction has been very good, but declining. Dry traction is excellent with a nice progressive break-away.

Snow traction has been surprisingly good. In my car, I've been able to do pull away without problems from a stop on 1-4" of snow. Braking and cornering? Pfft. Not much can help you out there....just drive carefully and you'll be fine. People expecting this tire to get them through alot of snow will be dissapointed, but people expecting summer-tire roller skate type performance will be quite happy.

I expect the tires to last about 30-35k....pretty good IMO.

Ummm...will I buy it again? Probably not. I'll switch to something a little more substantial at the price of weight...which means I'll lose some braking, acceleration, and gas mileage. And I'll probably pay $40 more a tire.

I think it's a good tire. Just know what you are buying.

On another note....it balanced out great and has given almost no vibrations at speed. At 79mph on my car, there is a slight vibration. Other than that, it's smooth up to 100.

I do think it flat-spots slightly overnight (i.e. not driving it for 12 hours). It's pretty minor though.

Soo....cut and pasting some last questions:

"I have also heard they are very heavy. How stiff is the sidewall, and what are their handling characteristics. "

Not heavy, not stiff, good handling characteristics (between a high quality all-season and low quality summer).

"How is the tread life...

How is the noise..."

Tread life has been great so far....very, very even and slow wearing. Noise has been very good in the beginning with an increase as tread life goes down. Still good. I drive a loud car though....

Hope this helps!

If it stays colder than 40 for all day long I will be scared to use summer tires.

Falkens (512 and 912) get good scores from CR (well, who trusts Consumer Report? their tire tests seem decent so I do take them into consideration) are all seasons but are fast wearing and weak winter performance. price is also within your range.

It looks like they might be good match for you.

Look for owners' opinions.

Krzys

UHPs are decent, not spectacular but far superior to the stock RE-92s in all conditions. I've had no problem with them in all 4 seasons, including 6-8" of snow and lots of <40F weather in both Columbus, OH and Chicago.
Kyle "BlackHole"

Why? I've only used the SPT's so I can't compare the 2 side by side myself but tirerack's testing shows that the SPT is FAR superior to the general?

The SPT's are marginally better in terms of performance but the ride quality of the UHP is sooooo much better than the SPT's that I would rather get the UHP.

I am riding on MR coilovers which are very stiff. The improved ride quality of the UHPs is noticed right away.

The SPT's are marginally better in terms of performance but the ride quality of the UHP is sooooo much better than the SPT's that I would rather get the UHP.

I am riding on MR coilovers which are very stiff. The improved ride quality of the UHPs is noticed right away.

Have you actually take your car to auto-x or track with SPT and UHP?

SPT should grip a lot better than UHP

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Cool, thanks for your review. How is the steering feel with them? How stiff are the sidewalls? The SPT sidewalls were a little sloppy for my liking and I feared the Generals would be worse. What size you running?

Archived