LegacyGT.com

OEM Subs for the 08's

HangKen

Anyone know if this is prewired up to under the seat (Plug and Play)?

Also, if you have the Navi Unit on the Driver's side, I am assuming that this goes on the passenger's side?

If anyone has the answer, I appreciate it! :)

It's a Spec B if it helps any better.

And no flaming......

The wiring comes with the sub and needs to be run during the installation. So no, the wiring doesn't exist stock from the factory.

Personally instead of playing the silly money they want for an awful sub I bought this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UmIH0SlyjVG/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=236REQ

And used some quick splices to tap into the plug in the back of the radio, ran those under the passenger seat into the re-Q, which gives you linearized RCAs. From there hook it up to the sub of your choice. A 30 minute project to setup and offers a lot of flexibility.

The Re-Q isn't perfect, but I'm pretty satisfied.

Also, don't buy it from Crutchfield, too much $$$ :)

It's really not hard at all to totally rip down the center console and radio. Takes about 10 minutes once you get the hang of it. Don't let that deter you.

I don't recall the website, but there is a site that has all the installation instructions on it for the sub woofers for the various years and model subarus so you can see EXACTLY what kind of work is involved.

I can't seem to find it right now though...

Anyway, it seems like the stock sub really isn't worth the time for most people depending on what kind of sound and performance you're expecting. Cruise around the boards and see what other people have been doing to address their sound systems. This forum is a fantastic place to see and compare different ideas and figure out what best suites your needs.

Godspeed.

As far as I know these are the only underseat options:

- OEM

most everyone agrees this one sucks

- Kenwood KSC-SW1

I owned this one. It fills out the range great, but doesnt even come close to "bumping". To get the most of this one you have to adjust for each cd unless you normalize all your music.

- Boss Audio Bass600

I ordered this one 2 days ago based on web reviews that were glowing about it and one in specific that compared it to the KSCSW1.

- Kenwood KSCSW10

This is slightly larger than the SW1. I found no reviews and only one person on NASIOC commenting that it was larger than the other kenwood and depending on seat position stuck out a little at times.

- Pioneer shallow sub in either a custom box or this:

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/UDSW10U/detail.asp

I've read that these things have to have MASSIVE power to get good sound from them. I saw people recommending pumping 700 watts on this!

Wow, more comments than I thought!

Well, I figured that if the OEM sub was not a plug & play, I would have gone with the aftermarket ones.

Just getting lazy bringing the Positive from inside the engine bay.

At the same time, if I was going to do that, I'd probably get the 4-channel amps and CleanSweep or something along with it.

Which usually ends up being expensive.....LOL

But I am very intersted with the write up that "fishandring" explained above.

Thanks all for the reply! :)

Well the boss audio underseat sub came in today and it is far higher quality "feeling" than the kenwood ksc-sw1. The material is all aluminum top to bottom similar to the vanes on an amp. Its prett heavy for its size and feels really solid. I'll post again once its installed. I'm still waiting on my amp kit and speakers. I'll probably spend a while doing this next week sometime.

Hmm i put in the OEM sub myself under the passenger seat. It wasnt that hard, just had to bend the bracket that came w/the sub so that it'll fit the passenger side properly.

the instructions from Subaru are fine, i got it done within 1 hour ... taking off the seat, the center console, running the wire, installing the bracket etc.

Well the boss audio underseat sub came in today and it is far higher quality "feeling" than the kenwood ksc-sw1. The material is all aluminum top to bottom similar to the vanes on an amp. Its prett heavy for its size and feels really solid. I'll post again once its installed. I'm still waiting on my amp kit and speakers. I'll probably spend a while doing this next week sometime.

Hmmm, thats interesting. I was looking into OEM for my fiance's car, she wants a little more bass, but doesnt want a box in the trunk; so this might be perfect. Cheaper than OEM as well. I'm assuming that there is a built in amp?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my install is done! It was a PITA to build the t-harness, but once that was done everything zipped along.

A word of warning: the BASS600 from Boss Audio is too tall to fit under the passenger seat without some modification. I will have a full install with pics in a new thread in the next couple days.

OEM Sub vs. Kenwood KSC-SW1 vs. Boss audio?

There is absolutely no comparison. I've never heard that kind of sound from a $120 sub. the Boss Audio 8" will rock the car. That thing is the most bang for the buck of any audio product I have ever installed.

• 4 months later...
doesnt the factory sub go on the back deckplate mounted from inside the trunk ?????

ive got a whole for an 6 or 8" there. 2008 spec b

No, the factory sub is designed to go under the driver's seat. With a Spec B, you'll have to bend the mounting bracket that comes with it and mount it under the passenger seat because the DVD drive for the navigation system is in the way under the driver's seat. I believe the hole in the back deckplate is for the sub with the JDM Mcintosh system.

Archived