LegacyGT.com

Those with yakima racks

VXCL

Thats basically exactly what I did..scanned it and then messed with it until it was right..It has some overlap for sure just in case rack shifts, etc..

I have plenty of this high grade clear vinyl I can send these to anyone who wants them... How bout two sets of four (one extra) for 5$ shipped..just PM me if you want some.

thanks. got mine the other day!!! will def put them to use next year.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have still been getting some random replies for these paint protectors for the Qtowers, so I just setup a webpage that you guys can order them from. Figured it would be easier that way. I have lots made already, and they always ship out same day. Thanks again, glad some of you liked these as I did!

Here the link:

http://www.rowanlab.com/Yakima%20Qtower%20Paint%20Protectors.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
heres a pic i took today on the way to snowboarding... if anyone has a 44" fairing for sale, im still looking...

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1973/231/4/72100768/n72100768_30897328_1154.jpg

Be careful with your snowboard mounted facing up. The front edge become an airfoil and constantly pulls up on the front of your rack. I once had two boards on my Talon mounted that way and at 65mph it ripped the rack right off the car (yes it was mounted correctly).

Be careful with your snowboard mounted facing up. The front edge become an airfoil and constantly pulls up on the front of your rack. I once had two boards on my Talon mounted that way and at 65mph it ripped the rack right off the car (yes it was mounted correctly).

your talon apparently had far inferior window trim for the rack to clip onto. ;)

haha just playing.... thanks for the advice. yesterday was the first time i used the rack, and didnt even think of that. at one point i was doing about 85-90 going up rt83 towards harrisburg, and the thing didnt move/shake at all. i checked it once i got to the "mountain" and it was fine. i'll keep this in mind though.

im pretty sure i could actually stand on my car and pull on this thing all day long and it wont let go. i did spend about and hour and a half adjusting the hell out of it.

It is.

I've only run my rack with boards facing up for the last 2 years. And I'm sure I've been over 100 mph several times. Never had a problem.

boards up and down i've had no probs with the fresh sesh yakima rack at higher speeds 80+. Have hit 1xx a couple times as well shortly. Only thing is my rack isnt that aerodynamic so occasionally i will have to straighten the feet as they slip back on the mounts so the rack isnt pointing straight up butthats about it.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

your talon apparently had far inferior window trim for the rack to clip onto. ;)

haha just playing.... thanks for the advice. yesterday was the first time i used the rack, and didnt even think of that. at one point i was doing about 85-90 going up rt83 towards harrisburg, and the thing didnt move/shake at all. i checked it once i got to the "mountain" and it was fine. i'll keep this in mind though.

im pretty sure i could actually stand on my car and pull on this thing all day long and it wont let go. i did spend about and hour and a half adjusting the hell out of it.

I finally got my rack mounted. It is very secure and the clear protectors I got worked great. I had a rack on my Evo and one trip on a slushy/gravel covered hwy caused rocks to work their way under the rack's feet and permanently damage the paint. Having the window trim to attach to makes a big difference. The Talon just had angled brackets that went around the door frame. It was a very poor design by Yakima. Now we just need some fresh snow at the mountain!

glad to hear you have more faith in the rack on the legacy, compared to the talon! i love having my snowboard on my roof... SOOOO much nicer than having to slide it through the pass-through in the back seat and get my car wet inside.. i cant belive its taken me this long to get a rack!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone here purchased the newer Yakima RailGrab system for their wagon yet?

If you go to Yakima's site and utilized the fitment "tool"; it states that it is meant for use on flush mounted rails on the wagons. I purchased a set and when I tried to install it, I noticed that bottom edge of the claw base contacts the roof of the car. This problem is more apparent as you move towards the forward portion of the car/roof rails. There seems to be a tiny bit of clearance when you are mounting them towards the aft/rear of the car.

I thought at first that I had some kind of anomaly, but we tried to mount the Railgrab to my friend's 2005 Forester, which uses the same type of flush roof rails, the problem is identical.

I'm planning a phone call to Yakima today to discuss this issue, but I was wondering if anyone here has seen this come up with their cars.

BTW, sorry for the double post.

• 1 month later...

Yea, take pics! I was going to pick up a RailGrab system in the next week or so.

What are you guys using to carry Kayaks? I'm going to need to carry 2 - 10'ish long boats.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived