LegacyGT.com

LGT '05 problem, dealers closed, need help

dan_m

Wouldn't you know it I get this friggin' problem the day all the dealers are closed and I can't reach anyone... grrrr.... =(

Basically I'm getting this persistent groaning/whining LOUD sound from the fan that's located on the driver's side right up against the headlights. ( I'm not exactly sure what this fan does really .... duhh ). Should I be concerned? Is it safe to drive the car to the dealer in the morning or should I have the car towed instead. The loud whining/groaning starts a couple of minutes after I turn on the engine and won't stfu !!! It's pretty clement where I live right now ( ± 3deg C )

Any enlightment would be grandly appreciated... thx.

That sounds like one of the radiator fans. It may just be that something like a leaf is stuck in it. Also, try turining off the AC by hitting the AC button on the dash (one of the 2 fans is only on when the ac is on) If that makes the fan stop then you are all set. If it doesn't then you should be able to drive the car, but if the coolant gauge starts shootinig up then STOP THE CAR. The noise may be the fan going out.

Good luck.

The whining is still present even with the AC turned off. So far I haven't no warning lights have popped through on my dash. I gather the fan may be dying out on me....grrr =(. I did a visual inspection and didn't notice anything adnormal, no obstructions or anything like that anywhere.

Anyways to follow up, I brought the car to my Subaru dealer and after having working on the car for about 2 hours they still couldn't make heads or tails of it. They came to the conclusion that the car's computer is sending a full load signal to the fan and this signal never turns off for whatever reason. They told me they will place a call to Subaru Canada tommorrow and ask for their guidance. I'll keep you guys posted on further developments. This is really sad =(

Archived