LegacyGT.com

The Frustrations of Altitude

Brady

Ok, most would prefer this with Gorgonzola, but if you prefer the strong taste of Blue Cheese, use that ... or sub some other cheese if you prefer ...

Serves 1 (here you go single people) - Multiply recipe for number of people

Ingredients:

1 medium/large boneless skinless chicken breast

1 tbsp Canola Oil

3/4 cup half and half

1/4 cup blue cheese/Gorgonzola/cheese-of-your-choice

1 clove garlic

Salt

Pepper

4 oz Penne

Tomato

If you live at 5000 feet, start boiling water and add your Penne, boil for 12 hours ... otherwise you can just boil the Penne for about 12 minutes

In a saucepan (small) add bring the Half and Half to a boil, then simmer. Reduce by about half. Add 1 clove garlic, finely diced or pressed. Stir in your cheese of choice to thicken. Salt and Pepper to Taste. If you need to thin, add Half and Half.

Cut chicken breast into small cubes, maybe about 1/2" - 1" in size. In pan, heat Canola oil to medium high heat and cook chicken about 3 minutes, or until done.

Dice Tomato.

Drain pasta. Serve sauce over chicken and pasta and then top with diced tomato.

Guest Gitster
Dude, taste the pasta every couple minutes after 8 minutes or so. Should have a slight bite to it, then its al dente and its done. Presto.

I don't so much use a timer ... it just took about 20 minutes to do the pasta.

It makes it hard to finish things together to serve. I had to thin my sauce since the pasta took about 8 minutes longer than I expected.

hah i hear ya guys!!! i always mess things up with the altitude!!! i've learned to just cook everything for an extra 2-3 mins... but an extra 8 mins damn!!! (that's for the penne right??)

but this does seem like a good recipe, and i'm SO gonna use gorgonzola cause it's the sheeeit!

brian

Yeah, I know pasta often takes a lot longer since water boils at a lower temperature ... takes longer to actually cook stuff. I just haven't figured it out yet!

The biggest problem was that in trying to keep the chicken warm, I ended up drying it out a little bit.

Over all though, the recipe is silly easy to make.

Add extra salt or use a pressure cooker to raise the boiling point. Or both.

The problem with that is you have to add like a pound of salt to a liter of water to raise the boiling point high enough.

adding 58 grams of salt will raise the boiling point of water by about a half a degree Celsius per liter of water. The boiling point for water at 5000 feet is about 202° F. So to bring it up 10 degrees to 212° would require 644 grams of salt ... Per Liter!!!

Not practical in cooking. :(

Archived