LegacyGT.com

So, theoretically, if I were to get an Accessport and I had to take my car to the

Thanks. I know that some newer cars (new M3, for instance) makes it virtually impossible to do any kind of modifications to the ECU without making it very easy for the dealership to figure it out.

I'll have to find out how mod-friendly my dealership is before I head down this road.

V2 of AP no, V1 yes, at leat my understanding. V2 AP gabs your current map and saves it if you unmarry. V1 uses a version pre-installed on AP. Dealer can tell if they have the latest computer and dig if the "version" of map matches what should be there. Or something like that.

Not arguing but is this accurate? I know when i installed my V1, it saved the stock ECU map.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

This is what Cobb's Knowledgebase says:

"Can the AccessPORT be detected by Dealerships?

If the AccessPORT has been uninstalled from the vehicle (Unmarried, Reverted to Stock), then the AccessPORT does not leave behind any specific markers or other data in an effort to leave any traces.

There are currently no "flash counters" in use by the DENSO/Subaru ECUs that anyone is aware of.

There are no guaranteed implied or otherwise by AccessECU, COBB Tuning or any distributors that the AccessPORT will be undetectable by Subaru. Use at your own risk."

Ref- http://accessecu.com/kb/index.php?ToDo=view&questId=25&catId=3

According to a friend, who is a service tech at Subaru....they have a program that can detect if your ECU has EVER been re-mapped or programmed, but he says they only run it when they suspect that a claim is from that specific issue. He showed me on my car (Never remapped) and it showed a complete history of the ECU activity.....As "sickdrift" says...at your own risk.

Not arguing but is this accurate? I know when i installed my V1, it saved the stock ECU map.

No it didn't. It doesn't work that way.

As mentioned earlier, the V2 AP has the ability to back up your ECU. So before you flash your car, you back it up, and it saves your original configuration.

The V1 AP on the other hand, comes pre-canned with a stock ECU configuration. So when you revert to stock, it loads this pre-canned ECU. The ECU is a stock ECU from a stock Subaru, but in this case, I think Cobb used an Outback XT for its tuning, so the ECU will be from a Stock Outback XT.

As mentioned earlier, if the dealer digs deep enough they can figure this out, because the numbers/IDs in the ECU won't match an LGT, they'll match an OBXT.

I think there is more specific detail here that I don't quite understand, but I think that is the jist.

The point of all of this is...if you are at stage 1, and are paranoid for whatever reason, just unmarry the AP.

And in the end...if they find it, well, you pay to play right?

According to a friend, who is a service tech at Subaru....they have a program that can detect if your ECU has EVER been re-mapped or programmed, but he says they only run it when they suspect that a claim is from that specific issue. He showed me on my car (Never remapped) and it showed a complete history of the ECU activity.....As "sickdrift" says...at your own risk.

yuppers, same thing that my buddy said that works at a Subaru dealership. There is apparently a HEX code or something that changes everytime the ECU is reprogrammed. He said the same thing about "digging" as well...they don't normally look for changes but if they suspect something on a warranty claim they will look and see if the ECU has been reflashed.

Of course all you have to do is lie and deny :) It's your word against theres and most good dealers would rather have a happy customer than no customer at all...after all SOA is going to pay them for warranty work anyway.

I thought I read at some point that the steps they need to take to figure out if the ECU has been flashed are steps not normally taken for any service. I've been flashed since I got the car and take it to the dealer for all of my servicing and oil changes. With that said, I did set it back to the factory settings when I had a knocking noise in my engine bay and I wanted them to look into it. Turns out it was a timing belt issue - unrelated to the engine.

I wouldn't worry about it - have fun with the car!

Archived