LegacyGT.com

StopTech fitted my LGT brake lines

LandShark

I visited StopTech www.stoptech.com in L.A. yesterday to let them make fit-up checks for brake lines and, hopefully in the future, BBK for the new Legacy GT.

They said right away after checking the clearances with the stock LGT 17" wheels that a BBK would not fit inside the front wheels. It's just too tight already with the stock brake size. You can barely pass a finger between the calipers and wheel. They said a rear BBK would fit but there's no real purpose for doing the rear brakes without better front brakes (where most of the stopping work is done).

I also found out that the BBKs that Cobb offers are just private-labeled StopTech brakes. Not that that's a bad thing. This explains why Cobb's website states that their BBK will not fit the stock front wheels but will fit the rear wheels. Too bad.

They did measure the flex brake lines and should offer a brake line kit for the new LGT in the near future. I'll be getting the first kit for FREE for my time.

While I was there they were fit-checking the BBK for the new Toyota X-Runner pickup truck that's supposed to have handling that rivals the 350Z roadster. The TRD package is another private-label deal with StopTech.

My question is, if the stock brakes will barely fit in 17" rims, why would one need BIGGER brakes? Doesn't diminishing returns come into effect at a certain point. at that level, adding another inch to the rotor diameter is adding quite a bit of pretty heavy metal.

If it were me, I would be asking about better vented, thicker, slotted, drilled/chamfered, or two-piece rotors of the same diameter, with better calipers, and stainless lines.

Being able to run a stock rim for winter use, or spare use would be worth it to me. With anything bigger, ya'd have to buy 5 aftermarket 18" rims, just to have one as a spare in the trunk, and run 18" even lower-profile snow tires.

Or carry a can of fix-a-flat, and a AAA card, and take your chances, rather than a spare.

• 4 years later...

Why would you need 5 wheels? The spare isn't supposed to go on the front, which means if you get a flat in the front, you are supposed to put a wheel from the rear on the front and put the spare on the rear.

You don't want the spare on the front since those are the steering wheels.

Archived