LegacyGT.com

Are LGT's "fragile" ?

Early build '05 - so far, knock-on-wood, trouble-free. :)

I got her as a dealer demo in the spring of '05, and later that fall, at around 10K miles, she started life at "Stage II."

No clutch stink (except for that one time, when I dropped the clutch at around 5.5 to 6K), and I'm still on the factory clutch. I slip-launch at around 4K at least once, if not twice a week.

I've only switched-out one set of headlights, and that's because I got new bulbs.

I never had the fan relay issue present itself, and was lucky enough to switch to the revised relay before it toasted the ECU.

Aside from a sometimes "squeaky" clutch and an at-times "groaning" driver's seat (I doubt that my 240 lbs. helps that, and the fact that I tend to do quite a bit of left-foot -to- deadpedal bracing, too, probably also doesn't help this situation), she's been great.

I've been religious, as with all of my vehicles, on the 3K-miles/3-months OCIs. She started life on dyno oil, and I switched-over to synthetics at just before 10K miles. I'd like to think of myself as being relatively easy on the car and also relatively "mechanically empathic," but I'd also honestly say that Winky probably doesn't live the easiest life with me behind the wheel, and that, certainly, she could be driven in a much more sedate manner, much more of the time. :redface:

Like many others here, I'd say that you're not going to find what you're looking for by strolling through these Forums. We're all enthusiasts here, and as such, we tend to focus-in, quite a bit, on the small problems. Furthermore, this being a "car community," it's definitely also where others come to voice their complaints (and hope to find resolutions, or just a friendly ear). The statistics are skewed.

This is certainly not to say that the car isn't without problems - but then again, I doubt that anyone can find a car that doesn't have at least some concerns. ;)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still have bought the Legacy.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of good opinions here, thanks guys....

I realize that all cars do have their problems. I bought a Jeep TJ brand new in '00 that always popped out of first gear when pulling out. I had to go back and forth with the dealer and finally they replaced the whole tranny with less than 700 miles on the thing.

The Mazdaspeed 6's look very nice, but I just can't get past the fake dual exhaust tips built into the rear bumper (What were they thinking there?!). A petty thing to dismiss a car over, but it's so cheesy that I would, lol. That and the resale on them is horrible, there must be a reason. I've seen alot of them up for sale pretty cheap with very low miles, 10K-20K miles. Why? Why are so many being gotten rid of with such low mileage? The must be something that more than a few people can't stand enough that they just want out of the things.

The Mazdaspeed3's are nice, but IMO they're kind of a chick car. I know they're quick, but it just looks like a cute little hatchback. The new WRX 5 doors are guilty as well. The FWD doesn't bother me at all, I know how to drive accordingly no matter what I'm in. I know what I don't want in a car; Cute.

I think my mind's made up, I'm buying a LGT, quirks be damned ! So I'm gonna keep watching out for the used ones and see what happens :)

I love it when I have to do the quadruple clutch to get my car in reverse. Similar to a model "T" ford I presume.

LOL! Me too! Goddamed reverse! When I see that happening, I just put it in first an move the car about 1/16 of an inch... works great afterwards...

And how about that glovebox!?

yes.

I'm about to rip that glove box out of my car. rattling bastard. It sucks right now because it's so cold and our roads are covered in frozen ice balls. my car sounds like it's going to rattle completely apart at times. :rolleyes:

The only big issue I had was my fuel injectors going bad on me, all 4 at one point failed .. I have a set of used STi injectors in my car now and it runs like a champ ... my throw-out bearing was going when I was approaching 70k miles ... so I had the clutch/flywheel replaced ...

that's it ...

I guess I would have more issues if I trusted the dealer techs to work on it.But there are a few things I just wont pay for.

And it's funny I remember the the Kia Spectra back in 2002 had a fully sychro'd trans..even reverse.I hate double clutching I used to have to do it on my Galaxie.

Yes.

Check your VIN against the VIN range posted on The L7's copy of the TSB/recall letter.

If you fall in that range and you're still on the original relay with a still-good ECU, replace the relay with the revised component, ASAP. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 years later...

Pointless bump. Just wanted to add, I have a sale pending on my Legacy right now, for the simple reason that I have other vehicles to drive and I'm tired of making payments on cars. In the 2 years, 2 months I've owned the car I've hardly had any problems at all, it's been great. Had a right rear wheel bearing go (covered under extended warranty) and my front left brake caliper had problems with a sticking piston. That's it. If I had the money and space to keep 3 vehicles around (not including my wifes!) I'd never get rid of it, but...

If the new style ever grew on me I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in the future. Damned shame they'll never grow on me!

I love it when I have to do the quadruple clutch to get my car in reverse. Similar to a model "T" ford I presume.

agreed, I'm up to around 48,000 miles and i got the car with 29,000 last june. I've yet to change any of the fluids minus oil (duh) and the tranny is a little notchy sometimes and reverse can be a bitch. other than that i've yet to have a mechanical issue with the car.

Pointless bump. Just wanted to add, I have a sale pending on my Legacy right now, for the simple reason that I have other vehicles to drive and I'm tired of making payments on cars. In the 2 years, 2 months I've owned the car I've hardly had any problems at all, it's been great. Had a right rear wheel bearing go (covered under extended warranty) and my front left brake caliper had problems with a sticking piston. That's it. If I had the money and space to keep 3 vehicles around (not including my wifes!) I'd never get rid of it, but...

If the new style ever grew on me I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in the future. Damned shame they'll never grow on me!

Good to hear that you took the plunge and enjoyed your Legacy.

Thanx for the update! ;)

LGT are absolutely fragile. There is no way a LGT could do what I did you a 73 slant6 plymouth valient. We bought it AFTER A FRONT END WRECK and tossed in a new radiator for a total of $300. Drove out to the desert and went off roading. After 50 miles we noticed we RIPPED OFF THE OIL PAN. We drove it around WOT for another two hours before running it out of gas.

We went for more gas and it restarted. 100% TRUE STORY. We ran it out of gas again and left it in the desert. A year later it was still there and we attacked it with shotguns.

We were idiot kids. Bet if you went out there with a new battery and gas it would start too.

Drove out to the desert and went off roading. After 50 miles we noticed we RIPPED OFF THE OIL PAN. We drove it around WOT for another two hours before running it out of gas.

We went for more gas and it restarted. 100% TRUE STORY. We ran it out of gas again and left it in the desert. A year later it was still there and we attacked it with shotguns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/TheCEO/Shame-award-1.jpg

:lol:

• 3 years later...

Having had ring land issue and now having sixth gear synchro issue (kicking out of gear) ...i'd say they are more fragile than anything else i've owned also more high performance.

That being said get a compression test before you buy and try to by something unmodified and you will be happy. I think previous owner is really the critical factor.

My clutch was in great shape when I replaced my block at 70k. Haven't really had any other issues but replacing block and rebuilding trans before 100k is kind of major (my turbo still has no shaft play at 90k).

I would not buy a specb again tho knowing that the trans doesn't have carbon baulk rings like sti in 4th, 5th, and 6th. When I take trans out next month they will be going in with a new sti front diff tho.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

See Sig. There was only two problems I was having. 1) Low Beam bulb would only last 6-8mos. Fixed it by disabling DRL. Last set of bulbs been in for over 2yrs. 2) Wheel bearing, only avg. 40-50k for the front & 70-80k for the rear, on OEM. Switch to SKF wheel bearing (buy them at Napa). Time will tell, I have over 60k & counting on the fronts & 50k on the rears.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived