LegacyGT.com

are there any always hot 12volt wires in/near trunk?

CTATV

Im going to do a backup camera and id rather not run a 12 volt all the way from the front just for a tiny camera, are there any 12v wires that are always hot in the trunk or back seat etc etc that I could tap into for the power?

im looking at getting one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/P8-Wide-Angle-Car-Rear-View-Backup-IR-Camera_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33721QQihZ013QQitemZ230219735987QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/rearview-reverse-camera-parking-w-video-cable-car-New_W0QQitemZ170191535064QQihZ007QQcategoryZ32826QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The second one is cheaper but seems a little more visible. Dont know if i really care neither is going to be invisible like one from the factory. seems like the angle of the second one could be ajusted. Im on a low budget so im leaning towards the second one, what do you all think?

I would guess anything back there (if constant) is going to be for airbag sensors or possibly lighting. IIRC the power door locks were constant 12v with a negative pulse to actuate.

BUT I would be careful of touching anything with airbags (obviously)

Another thought is using your backup light power wire. It would then turn the camera on for you when in reverse and off when not. Unless you want to watch people while driving forward :D

Good Luck either way, it's not that hard to run the wire, and a spool of 50ft is rather cheap at radioshack.

def stay away from anything airbag, but yeah i want my camera to be useable at any time... Figure changing lanes in traffic, sitting in my car watching for people comming up behind me at the end of a dead end road etc etc. I wont need it most of the time I just want to be able to use it when i really need it for backing up (like backing into a space with a cement wall such as a parking garage..

but as im typing this im thinking if its just a 12v constant am i going to burn out my camera as well as wear out my battery. maybe would be better to hide a toggle switch somewhere in the cabin which would mean running a wire all the way forward anyways. Maybe ill run my 4 gauge stereo cable, RCAs, and remote wire for the radio back there at the same time... After i get my stock deck modified with the RCA preamp outs im going to install all my stereo equiptment from my previous car... Component speakers, 15" subwoofer, and amp for each

Prime Power... that's GREAT for wagons.... but unfortunately we don't have an outlet in the back. :(

But thinking now..... check your trunk light, it's probably positive to the switch, which if I remember is in the base by the lock mechanism (awful close to where you would be putting your camera ;) ) I assume you have a test light? If not make one with a small 12v bulb and a piece of wire.

As for the camera, I would def not want it on ALL the time, so some sort of wire is gonna need to be run, and if your gonna tear it apart might as well run the wires for the stereo and run a thick power wire at the same time.

Yeah, I would say you could spare a little juice from a 4ga wire :)

Good luck with the install and take pics!!! You damn people with your nav screens and fancy upgrades :lol:

Will be a long time before I do anything close to thise :(

I believe our cars are negative switched, so a lot of wires are always hot. Check with a light tester. I do not think we have air bag sensors in the back, maybe just on top for the curtains, and any wire for SRS will be inside yellow conduit.

Back lights come to mind.

X

---

yeah I was just curious, theres only so much room & im also going to have to run RCAs for the amps, a remote wire, and 4 gauge cable takes up a lot of space...

yeah I know i usually use 16 gauge

Archived