LegacyGT.com

TPMS Light Delete

08leggy

Is it more an issue of the in-wheel senders don't fit the replacement wheels, or is it that the body-mounted sensors have a limited aperture through which to get the signal... and different wheels may place the sender outside that aperture? If it's the former, then I'm not sure that there's a different sender that will work with the sensor. If it's the latter, perhaps relocating the sensor....?

Have not run across this before, but I'm sure it bugs the crap out of members who have modded their rolling stock.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Is it more an issue of the in-wheel senders don't fit the replacement wheels, or is it that the body-mounted sensors have a limited aperture through which to get the signal... and different wheels may place the sender outside that aperture? If it's the former, then I'm not sure that there's a different sender that will work with the sensor. If it's the latter, perhaps relocating the sensor....?

Have not run across this before, but I'm sure it bugs the crap out of members who have modded their rolling stock.

SBT

The main problem is for people who use two sets of wheels for different seasons. If you don't get a set of sensors for the extra set of wheels you get a blinking light in the instrument cluster because the system thinks there is a problem. If you do get the second set of sensors on the new wheels, the only way to register the new sensors with the system is to take the car to the dealer. Subaru did not include a way for the owner to reset the system by themselves. The system can also only have 4 sensors registered with it at one time. So if you don't want to deal with the light, you have to take the car to the dealer at least twice a year to have them reset the system (and pay whatever they charge for it each time). The only other option is to somehow disable the light. If you unplug the TPMS module from under the driver's seat the light will come on. The light is also an LED directly attached to the circuit board so it can't be easily removed. Nobody has found out if disabling the light is as simple as cutting a wire or not yet. I guess there is always the cheap and easy way of taking care of it by covering it up with black tape on the instrument cluster glass like lamw001 suggested.

The main problem is for people who use two sets of wheels for different seasons. If you don't get a set of sensors for the extra set of wheels you get a blinking light in the instrument cluster because the system thinks there is a problem. If you do get the second set of sensors on the new wheels, the only way to register the new sensors with the system is to take the car to the dealer. Subaru did not include a way for the owner to reset the system by themselves. The system can also only have 4 sensors registered with it at one time. So if you don't want to deal with the light, you have to take the car to the dealer at least twice a year to have them reset the system (and pay whatever they charge for it each time). The only other option is to somehow disable the light. If you unplug the TPMS module from under the driver's seat the light will come on. The light is also an LED directly attached to the circuit board so it can't be easily removed. Nobody has found out if disabling the light is as simple as cutting a wire or not yet. I guess there is always the cheap and easy way of taking care of it by covering it up with black tape on the instrument cluster glass like lamw001 suggested.

Ah so! Got it. I'm going ask my tech to see what he knows/recommends. Will be a few days until I take one of the other Subes in but I'll ask him then.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've posted links to the the tool for under 200 bucks that allows you to reset the sensors on your own. Two years of not going to the dealer and it's fully paid for. Also many tire shops are able to reset the sensors as well.

Oh wow I must have missed that. Can you post that link again? I was under the impression that it could only be done with a Subaru Select Monitor that the dealer has based on the resetting instructions in the service manuals.

Just to throw in an idea after I read the above comment in regarding the use of Subaru Select Monitor. I am not familiar with tuning but wouldn't datalogging be able to show some of the critical parameters? Or is there any ways to hack into the ECU to trick it? hum........

http://subaru.spx.com/pdf/SU07-631.pdf

Damn it took a lot of work to find that link again.

Can anyone confirm that this tool is all that's needed to reset the TPMS system? That seems like it would be worth it compared to having to take the car to the dealer a few times a year. The thing that is stopping me from ordering is the instructions for registering new sensors in the service manual (section 4 in the pics below). The way I read it, you need to use the Subaru Select Monitor to put the system into what they call "ID registration mode" (steps 5 and 6) and then you can use the tool in the link above to force each sensor to wake up and begin transmitting its ID to the TPMS module in the car. I'm curious if the steps with the Select Monitor are absolutely necessary to actually make this work. If the module in the car needs to be put into Registration Mode with the Select Monitor first before being able to recognize new sensors then the tool above doesn't do much good by itself.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dametzg/tpms1.jpg

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dametzg/tpms2.jpg

One of my valves is cracked can I order a new valve form Subaru or do I have to replace the whole TPMS unit?

According to this page: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiremonitor.html, starting in '08 the Spec B and 3.0R got a different kind of valve/sensor where the valve can be replaced separate from the rest of the unit. If your valve looks like the first one listed on that page, then you have to replace the whole sensor unit as it is all one piece. If yours looks like the second (it should if that page is right), then you should be able to just replace the valve. I'd check with the dealer just to be safe.

so my light flashes for a while then goes off while driving wtf?

Maybe it has to do with the cracked valve? A flashing light means there's a problem with the system itself. A solid light signals one or more of the tires is low on air pressure.

Just pull the sensors out and throw them in the trunk. Works for me.

That's a joke, right? That can't work. The sensors are asleep when not in motion. When the wheel starts spinning then they turn on and transmit. If the car is in motion for a certain amount of time and does not receive a signal from any one sensor the light will start blinking. Also, even if that did work, the sensors would send a low pressure signal and turn the light on because they would only be seeing atmospheric pressure. Unless of course you somehow pressurized your trunk and constantly kept them spinning on something back there.

Archived