LegacyGT.com

Tahoe = 3, LGT = 0

meythodrider

Actually during my trip, as I was passing through chain control they asked me if I had chains. I told them yes and the guy said to use them if I needed them... that I did.

I do have M&S tires but they still ask. That was the first time that happened to me.

Yeah, it may snow an average of 92 inches a year in Rochester, but the Tahoe area averages around 200 to 250 inches a year, depending on location. Also, the ski resorts range from 250 to 500 inches average, with the western slope resorts (Sugar Bowl and Sierra at Tahoe) and Kirkwood getting the most snow. The difference is that we drive up to visit the snow on weekends and holidays, while you have to live with it on a day to day basis. :p

So true. I'd kill to have to go find snow. And for those of you who do-->loony.:spin:

Keep in mind regardless of total inches fallen in a season, most of that is powder and you're dealing with significantly less traffic and not in an urban area. Rush hour, bumper to bumper in 6-10" of snow on the highway is a totally different animal than any of the roads up to the mountains, regardless of depth. Plows, salt, sand, sleet, multiple car pile-ups, freezing rain, downpours etc. etc. are every day for those of us who live in urban winter areas. I wish the only concern I had was "will my car get stuck". You can drive perfect and have the ultimate snow vehicle and still get plowed into by a moron. And there's plenty of them.

Kind of funny. Just this morning on my way to work. We got about 3-4" of packed ice/snow and the roads weren't too bad, but were really messy and slushy. I pull out of my neighborhood and stop to take a right. Just as I stop and look left, there's a HUGE plow doing like 50 clearing the breakdown lane. There's a tidal wave of shit being thrown about 20 feet to the right as he's coming. I'm RIGHT in the path of that shitstorm.:eek: Quickly check my mirror, toss it in R and nail it. I JUST made it back far enough to avoid getting buried in that stuff. I'm sure the plow driver lol'd...fucker.:spin:

+1 My GT is lowered and I "plow" through snow significantly deeper than my ground clearance. It helps that the snow out here is mostly powder of course. :p

I said it before, but I think the "powder" part is really key. I've read a lot of stories on here of people plowing through way more snow than they have ground clearance for, and while I don't doubt them, the snow involved must be pretty light. There's just no way an LGT is going to plow through 2+ feet of "sierra cement" for a significant distance. *Maybe* with chains, but even then I'm pretty skeptical. I don't see how chains are going to keep you from getting high sided.

Unfotunately my clutch burned pretty badly each time I was stuck. Currently the car is in the shop getting inspected. Hopefully I didn't damage the clutch. Its still under warranty but the dealer said that if there's evidence of abuse, then it won't be covered under the warranty. Does my situation count as abuse? I hope not.... Anybody have this happen to them?

Update: Dealer did a road test and couldn't reproduce the burnt smell. Looks like they won't take apart the clutch unless there's convincing evidence it's damaged. Hopefully everything's ok.

Good times. Sounds like a little bonding time between driver and car. I have gotten stuck with both RE92's and my contiextremes and you learn the limits of each. Experience is as much a factor as tires, clearance, water content of snow etc. as you learn how to tie them all together. Getting stuck is part of gaining experience. I have more confidence in my legacy in 6" of snow than my Titan 4x4, the legacy handles snow like it is on rails while the 4x4 can get loose in the ass end. The only thing my Titan has to its advantage is the clearance and it can get me to the duck blind through the mud.

I'm a storm chaser when it comes to skiing so I always bring my nylon tow strap and clevis. I highly recommend one if you plan on driving in snow. They are compact, light weight and you can get pulled out from the first friendly instead of waiting for Caltrans and their "stupid flatlander" stares. Plus you can save your bumper from dings when getting pushed out.

Kirkwood next dump....see you there!

Skeptical of deep snow and the legacy? Pic is in kirkwood last year after spending about 5 hrs sleeping in the car on the silver lake side of 88 waiting for them to clear avalanches. Damn kirkwood road crews must have assumed no one was getting through before sunrise and roads in the village were deep. Made it to the cabin and only problem was no head lights as they were my snow plow. I was stopping to clear snow from headlights and hood. the black at the bottom of the pic is snow on the hood. I was rolling the RE92's also. This was not a wet snow but sierra snow non-the-less. Lots of face shots and wooo-hoos that day skiing.

2136094123_Summer07006.JPG.0110ca4386214e5a36e33fa64e9feddc.JPG

Problem isn't he car, its your "all season" tires. I routinely plow through 6-10" of snow up here with NO issues in my LGT on Gislaveds. Chains aren't going to make much of a difference, and putting them on just your front wheels won't do much more than not having them at all. All seasons are crap in general and especially on the LGT (I experienced that first hand in snow and put the car into a bank myself) - got snows and the difference is night and day.

They're considering making snow tires a legal requirement up here.

my lgt is lowered about 1.5 inches and i take it to tahoe on 8inch wide toyo proxes. no problems, we even drove up durringt he road closure in Jan to go shovel the cabin out. the only problem we have ever had: all my suspension goodies made the car stiff enough to keep 2 wheels off the ground leaving the car teetering with no power hitting the road.

easy fix tho. the only real "trick" to driving in tahoe is not being stupid. huge following distances, know what the car can handle with your tire/suspension setup, and never ever panic brake.

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Have you guys seen the 'emergency' chain thing? I'll look for the link when I get home - bascially it's two metal bars/lengths of chain which you put on in a pinch to get un-stuck.

Sorta like this - same concept, anyway...

http://www.flextrax.com/howitworks.html

Pretty slick, if you ask me - and may work in a pinch.

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

my lgt is lowered about 1.5 inches and i take it to tahoe on 8inch wide toyo proxes. no problems, we even drove up durringt he road closure in Jan to go shovel the cabin out. the only problem we have ever had: all my suspension goodies made the car stiff enough to keep 2 wheels off the ground leaving the car teetering with no power hitting the road.

easy fix tho. the only real "trick" to driving in tahoe is not being stupid. huge following distances, know what the car can handle with your tire/suspension setup, and never ever panic brake.

Were these toyo Proxes T1R? i've been eye'in these tires but wondered if they were crap in snow.

Were these toyo Proxes T1R? i've been eye'in these tires but wondered if they were crap in snow.

eh, id have to go out and look. they came on the rotas when i bought em. they did about as well as re92s in light snow, and significantly better in deep snow (6-8inches) and bare ice.

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Archived