LegacyGT.com

1000 mile service

Did every one do this service? I have had the car for 8 days and already have 950 miles. I have never done such an early service on a new car.

The fun should begin on Friday. I have only hit about 5k rpms once or twice. How much more fun is 5-6.5 rpm's?

By the way, I have a black LGT limited wagon 5-speed.

Looking to get the windows tinted. Does anyone know any good shops in CT to get this done?

I am very happy with this car so far. The seat belt alert has been disabled, thanks forum! The DRL are next. If any one is on the fence about this car, you will not be disappointed. I had many reservations about Subaru as a sport wagon manufacturer. My mother had 3 or 4 wagons over the 80's and early 90's. The new LGT is a different animal.

Thanks for all the information,

Peter

My first service is 3,000 and based on my current mileage, it'll be in a couple of weeks. I bought a service contract in advance and for $480, I'm set for the next 36,000/3 years. I think and oil change is around $75 so I'll be ahead of the game.

The fun should begin on Friday. I have only hit about 5k rpms once or twice. How much more fun is 5-6.5 rpm's?

Peter

There is no fun to be had between 5 and 6.5 rpms!! Just keep below 5 and your car will run forever!! LOL

Rick

Guys, the first scheduled service for the 2.5 Turbo motor is at 7500 miles (normal service schedule). You can certainly change the oil sooner if you want -- won't hurt anything, but it's overkill in my opinion. Don't take the dealer's advice on when to service -- they just want to take your money. And for god's sake don't pre-pruchase the maintenance unless you want to donate your money to the dealership in advance!! My dealer charges $20 for an oil change, but I usually do it myself for about $10.

Craig

When we leased my wife's GT wagon it was during the time when Subaru was including all scheduled maintenance in the lease. As c-hunter stated, the first oil change is free at 7500 miles. This goes against what I have done all my life with 3,000 mile oil change intervals, but we don't own the car Chase does and if the owners manual states 7500 miles SOA must feel comfortable with it.

I changed my oil and filter at 1000 miles and the oil looked almost new - not too dirty. Used Shell Rotella T Synthetic http://www.rotella.com/products/rotella_t_synthetic.html from Walmart. This isn't a true Group IV or Group V synthetic, it is rather a Group III hydrocracked petroleum oil.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but the engine seems to run better especially at low rpm's. I've always switched to synthetics after break-in and have never felt an improvement before. (MR2 Turbo, Eclipse Turbo, Subaru SVX, Impala SS).

Fast Wagon, do the oil change at 1000 miles if it gives you piece of mind. The point of changing your oil at ~1000 miles was to remove any of the engine filings resulting from the honing/machining process. I've been told that this is no longer needed with new vehicles. My dealer charged me $26 for my 1000 mile oil change. Not so much if it gives you piece of mind.

As far as maintaining the 7500 mile oil change interval, how hard you drive the car, what oil you're using, and in what climate you live play a role in oil change intervals. If you live in a warm climate, drive the car hard, and use dyno, then 7500 miles intervals is too long, IMO, especially on a turbo'd engine. Sometimes I think that these increasing oil change intervals are becoming a sales tool. I've heard people taut that my Acura such and such doesn't require changing the oil until 10,000 mile intervals. Great, for 36,000 miles (warranty) your car will run fine under these conditions, but what happens at 50, 60,or 80,000 miles? If you need a valve job at that point, will the dealer pay for it, no, because it's no longer under warranty.

In the spring (at about 6000 miles) I plan to change to synthetic. I will run through the ~5 summer months before changing again in the fall and repeat the same intervals thereafter. This works out to be about 6,000 miles/oil change for our driving conditions. If I plan at some point to make a long drive (say 2000 or more miles driving 6-8 hours/day), then I'll change the oil before and after the trip.

Heat is primarily what deteriorates ones oil. When oil ages, it's viscosity breaks-down (lowers), particulates (solids) form, and the acid neutralizers become depleted. I prefer to understand the general issues surrounding engine oil degradation, factor in our driving and climate conditions, and make my own informed decision regarding the fequency of oil changes. If when you change your oil you see particulates and discoloration, then you've gone too long.

I will pay more money for oil changes over the life of the car using my guidelines rather than Subaru's. But I chalk that up as preventative maintaince. I plan to keep this car for 6-8 years.

Archived