LegacyGT.com

G37 and Porsche Boxster S

Had an opportunity to drive my friend's G37 (auto) last night and I was pretty dissappointed. Not sure if anyone else has taken one out for a beating or not but I don't think it will challenge most Stage 2 setups.

Also, one of my guys just bought a 2006 Porsche Boxster S and of course being in the army, we always jaw back and forth dogging each other's car. I'm currently running the AVO 420 and all the supporting mods. Does anyone have any experiences with this car? I really have no clue as to what this series of Porsche Boxster S' are capable of and just want to know if I can back up all the shit talking I've been dishing out.

:p

Even the 3.4 Cayman S (06 Boxster S was a 3.2, IIRC) only has about 296hp, and less torque. The Boxster S is slightly less. I am not sure if 2006 or 2007 was the first year of the 3.4 in the Boxster S, to match the cayman S.

And they don't have LSDs... unfortunately. Supposedly that almost transforms the power delivery of those cars, and pushes the limit of the traction control way up before it intervenes and slows the car from it's potential.

Of course, the car weighs less, and handles better than the Legacy, especially if it has PASM dampers.

But an upgraded turbo, which is obviously beyond stage 2, probably makes significantly more power, and LOTS more torque than the Porsche, which will probably more than make up for the few pounds that the Legacy has on the Porsche.

About the only way to eclipse the Legacy with the Boxster/Cayman platform is to put the 997 3.8 X51 engine in it. 390+ crankshaft horsepower, and more than 300lb-ft of torque.

3.8 X51 swap, and LSD, and the Boxster/Cayman will beat the 997, and the Legacy Turbo stage 2. The Farnbacher Loles Cayman GTS with that sort of modification embarrasses sports cars much more expensive than itself, even including the cost of the modifications on top of the base Cayman S. Including Porsche's own 911 line, which is why it doesn't happen from the factory, and likely never will. That chassis is capable of much more than it is allowed to have for just that reason. I think it's aesthetics are designed the way they are for the same reason. The thickly domed roof, and the stunted rear quarter windows on the Cayman. The Boxster looks better without the roof, but the Cayman's rigidity is better due to the stiffness of the unibody, due to the roof being permanent. That shows up in the handling department.

I've been reading about this stuff for the last few days, and various occaisions before :D

It is disappointing to hear about the G37 reaction. I like that car, too. It is on the heavy side of things, though, and without the rush of a turbocharger. Even with 330hp, it probably isn't a as much of a push as forced induction, in terms of the feel of the engine's output. It only has 270 lb-ft of torque, and fairly high, at 5200 RPM. The legacy pushes harder at lower RPMs due to the turbocharger, especially stage 2+

There are two set ups with the G37.

G37 w/out sport package - soft suspension and NO LSD

G37 w/ sport package - firmer suspension and LSD + 14" brakes

Supposedly, the sport package transforms it. But, under 2500rpm, it supposedly feels weak. Once you get up in the rev range - that's where the power is. Also, did you put it into Drive Sport?

It was a "base" G37. No Brembos or anything fancy. About the only thing I did was turn the VDC on and off to see if there was a significant difference in the way the car performed which there really was none.

Iwanna... you have definately done some research. I remember my guy who owns the Boxster telling the same details concerning the engine swaps and what not. He says he plans on looking into doing that after our next rotation to Iraqistan.

Iwanna... you have definately done some research. I remember my guy who owns the Boxster telling the same details concerning the engine swaps and what not. He says he plans on looking into doing that after our next rotation to Iraqistan.

Best of luck to you and your friend both, and thank you very much for your service to our country.

----------

And have some fun smoking his porsche with your subaru. :D

I like both brands, and have become a boxer fanatic over the last few years.

I'd love for my garage to be all horizontally opposed engine vehicles.

Legacy GT for car trips and daily slogging

Baja for the wife's gardening projects, and for her to drive in the winter.

Guards red boxster to replace the Classic Red miata we have.

And if I can afford toys after that,

Cayman S, modified with a 3.8 X51, or engine rebuild for a turbocharger...

and/or

BMW R1200S motorcycle.

All boxer engines, 2, 4, and 6 cylinders, 1.2 liters to 3.4-3.8 liters, 120hp to 400hp... All dead-stone reliable, and all fun in their own way (baja turbo might be fun... I dunno. Probably more fun than a rickety pickup.)

G37 has 330 hp but it's really heavy, 3700+ lbs IIRC. The auto version is probably mid to low 14s car, not really going to challenge stage 2 LGT's. But it's a damn sexy looking coupe.

Model Year: 2008

Make: Infiniti

Model: G37

Style: Journey 2dr Coupe RWD (3.7L V6 5A)

Base Price: $35,000 (estimated)

Price as Tested: $37,500 (estimated)

Drive Type: Rear-wheel drive

Transmission Type: 5-speed Automatic

Engine Type: V6

Displacement (cc / cu-in): 3700cc (226 cu-in)

Valvetrain: double overhead camshaft

Compression Ratio: 11.0

Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 330 @ 7,000

Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 270 @ 5,200

Brake Type (front): Front ventilated disc - rear ventilated disc

Brake Type (rear): ventilated disc

Steering System: Power steering

Suspension Type (front): Independent, Double Wishbones, Coil Springs, and Stabilizer Bar

Suspension Type (rear): Independent, Multi-Link, Coil Springs, and Stabilizer Bar

Tire Size (front): 225/45R19 92W

Tire Size (rear): 245/40R19 94W

Tire Brand: Bridgestone

Tire Model: Potenza RE050A

Tire Type: performance

Wheel Size: 19 X 8.5 front - 19 X 9 rear

Wheel Material (front/rear): alloy

Manufacturer Curb Weight (lb): 3682

Recommended Fuel: Premium unleaded

Fuel Tank Capacity (gal): 20

Edmunds Observed (mpg): 23.5

Conditions for Testing

Temperature (Fahrenheit): 77

Humidity: 0.32

Elevation (ft): 421

Wind: 2.5

Performance

0 - 30 (sec): 2.2

0 - 45 (sec): 3.7

0 - 60 (sec): 5.5

0 - 75 (sec): 8

1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.9 @ 102.8

30 - 0 (ft): 28

60 - 0 (ft): 113

Braking Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Excellent

Slalom (mph): 71.3

Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.86

Handling Rating (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor): Excellent

Db @ Idle: 44.4

Db @ Full Throttle: 77.8

Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 66.5

Acceleration Comments: Best results were from VSC off and simply whacking the gas pedal to the floor. Just a little spin and it gets off the line with authority. Upshifts are remarkably quick and even a little jarring in Sport Drive mode. In manual mode, there's a little stumble between 1st and 2nd.

Handling Comments: Skid pad: Nicely balanced right up until the front tires heat up and it begins to understeer moderately. Slalom: I like how well it responds to throttle input while transitioning. The ability to rotate confidently and repeatedly is a plus, but again the front tires become the limiting factor, understeering at the last cone with barely enough power to slip the rear.

Braking Comments: The pedal is a little soft initially, but ultimately these are powerful and effective brakes. Some brake dive, but not excessively so.

G37 w/ Sport Package and automatic transmission.

I dont know why everyone thinks the 6 speeds are faster than autos, eveeryone jsut assumes that stick is faster, you get like 10more hp to the ground and it jsut leaves more room for error, auto shifts perfect everytime, if you put a stall in an auto car you can shave off over 1/2second in the 1/4mile with just a simple stall no extra hp needed. For fastest consisten 1/4miels times auto is far superior

Archived