LegacyGT.com

Do 30K maintenance if bought 40K LGT from dealer?

Hi,

Mysubaru does not have the maintenance history of my car. Would you assume the dealer (a carmax) has sold you a car with this service complete (the 30K service) when you buy a car from them with 40K?

I am not sure I should wait until 60K for the next thorough service.:confused:

thats a tough one. i bought mine with 5000 miles on it. and they did the oil change the day i picked up the car. i would assume that they didnt. i see your in boston, were did you buy your car from

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I highly doubt that Carmax or any dealer would have completed that service at their expense. Best you can hope for IMO is that the previous owner completed it.

I just bought my 2.5i brand new and haven't looked to see what gets replaced at 30k, if anything. If it was me, I'd check those parts that should have been replaced for signs that work has been done. For example, wrench marks are left on the bolt heads sometimes in difference areas when removed versus when tightened. Maybe look for factory paint marks that are no longer aligned.

Either way, I wouldn't worry much, IMO the 30k checkup is the least important of any of them. (of course change the oil and other filters).

quirk suby in braintree its 469. planet suby in hanover its 500 for the 30k and 750 for the 60k and its the same service.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Change the oil/oil filter, air filter, coolant, bleed the brakes and you will be fine. Total cost of parts is ~$50 if just go with OEM stuff and will take you about an afternoon to do the job. Of course that assumes you have some basic tools.

In the very back of your manual (assuming the car came with one) there is a blank page with the service schedules.. It's to be filled in by the dealer when service is done. Mine was filled in by the first owner's dealer at 30,264 for the service..

Although my dealer didn't fill it in for the 60k mile service, I did it..

Good place to start.

Thanks all. I am going to have to get my hands dirty and try to do these maintenance jobs. I have to save money how ever I can on the car right now. I will look on the boards to see how some of the things suggested are done. I will look at the owners manual again.

Hi,

Mysubaru does not have the maintenance history of my car. Would you assume the dealer (a carmax) has sold you a car with this service complete (the 30K service) when you buy a car from them with 40K?

I am not sure I should wait until 60K for the next thorough service.:confused:

This seems best answered by the simple question: Do you trust this (or any) dealer to have done this service and not tell you?

Change the oil/oil filter, air filter, coolant, bleed the brakes and you will be fine. Total cost of parts is ~$50 if just go with OEM stuff and will take you about an afternoon to do the job. Of course that assumes you have some basic tools.

chenc544's reply seems the best answer. $50 worth of materials (the same materials your subie dealer would use) and you get better acquainted with your car at the same time. Take a good long look at everything while you are under there, and maybe stick your finger in the filler hole on the diff to get a look/sniff at the condition of the fluid. Eyeball the CV joints/boots. Rotatate the tires if you have two good jacks or jackstands (don't get under the car with just a jack holding it up! Use ramps or jackstands!).

I highly doubt that Carmax or any dealer would have completed that service at their expense. Best you can hope for IMO is that the previous owner completed it.

I would doubt that the previous owner did complete it unless he/she was a really precision type of person. But since there is no record of maintenance it's even safe to assume that it wasn't done.

453747.png

This seems best answered by the simple question: Do you trust this (or any) dealer to have done this service and not tell you?

chenc544's reply seems the best answer. $50 worth of materials (the same materials your subie dealer would use) and you get better acquainted with your car at the same time. Take a good long look at everything while you are under there, and maybe stick your finger in the filler hole on the diff to get a look/sniff at the condition of the fluid. Eyeball the CV joints/boots. Rotatate the tires if you have two good jacks or jackstands (don't get under the car with just a jack holding it up! Use ramps or jackstands!).

Thanks.

The subaru dealer I bought my 36k lgt did it on mine.

Ask. And get a receipt if they did it. If they didn't do it or you don't have a receipt do it.

Archived