LegacyGT.com

#1 reason not to go HID

mwiener2

The Legacy GT has been on the market for less than a year, and it has already transitioned into full WRX mode. Congratulations to all. :lol:

Kevin

but n0 catz gives y0u mad p0waz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111one :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ofcourse HIDs are worse when its foggy, thats why there are FOG lights, on the other hand, when its not foggy, you will have to agree that HIDs are the best, specially for highways and offroad or streets that are un-lit, you can see ALOT better, plus they look nice in my opinion.

Dude if you honestly think that the only reason you got the ticket is because you have HIDs, then I think you have an ego problem... "Stupid cop just saw a fancy car with eeeyyyyche-eye-deeee lights that he can't afford and gave me a ticket, why doesnt he pick on the poorer people"

there could be any number of reasons he gave you a ticket over anyone else. just think, his wife could have cheated on him with some guy who drives an allroad with eeeyyyyche-eye-deeee lights, and now he has it out for all audis.

Yes I do honestly think he picked us out on purpose because the radar detector went off full alert when the first car passed the cop and by the time we passed him it was already off.

Anyways, what's up your ass. Must be a cop who's wife just cheated on him or something....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

And the legality question is also one of public interest. It isn't a question of "what you can get away with." That's a selfish, irresponsible attitude.
Is it more irresponsible than someone with piss-poor halogens that are aimed up into the air? More irresponsible than a DRL saturn running it's high-beams continuously at night? I have the same bad experience with HID's that most people complain about - the honda with cloudy reflectors and a bad HID retrofit at like 8000k. HID's in our projector setup will have less glare than 90% of cars with halogens. Only a handfull of people aim their headlights in the country.

First of all, the person who thinks that HIDs would be better in the fog is mistaken. Inclement weather is one significant drawback to HIDs, particularly as you ascend the Kelvin rating scale. I can tell you cycling in the fog with my NiteRider HID setups (4000K system) creates more bounceback than a halogen system would. Interesting.

And the legality question is also one of public interest. It isn't a question of "what you can get away with." That's a selfish, irresponsible attitude. The question isn't whether or not a cop can tell the difference, but whether or not you temporarily blind someone as you make your fashion statement. And further, what if that temporary blinding causes someone to lose control of their car, and plow into you or someone else? Can't we just ONCE think about someone else on the roadway? Why does it always have to be about what WE want? "Sure, I'll run no cats. I'll be long dead by the time anyone notices the harm." "The cops can't really tell if I have self-leveling HIDs, so who cares?"

The Legacy GT has been on the market for less than a year, and it has already transitioned into full WRX mode. Congratulations to all. :lol:

Kevin

Silly silly, my point was that there is no real difference between the self-leveling and non-self leveling. The amt of degree that the actual headlights is so minimal, it was just away to allow high and cars to have them. A stuipid law made up to make it legal for the rich folks....

Oh and don't forget....This argument is HYSTERICAL and will never end, people have their opinions and most peoples never change, I hear both sides of the argument 100%. But if you have me side by side with and Lexus 300. That Lexus "legal" ones will be 30 time more blinding then my "illegal" one's. (things that make you go hmmmmm)

Oooh I got an idea, you don't need to stare into them when you drive by...When you took drivers ED way back, remember when they teach you to look at the yellow line on your right when a bright light is coming in the other direction....they had the forsite to know the HIDS were com'n....:D

Battle on........

Umm..the yellow line is on left

LOL.....Guess I should've specified.......The DOUBLE yellow is on your left! The single yellow line (which I was talk'n about) is on your right (Non highway)

Another lesson...who didn't know that all the highway numbers actually mean things

All Odd numbers (495, 95,93) travel north and south, even (2, 90) travel east and west.....the '4' before the '95' says that the highway will leave 95 and connect back up at somepoint....blah blah blah....

I'm bored.....:lol:

Rock on all.......hope we're all enjoy'n 05 :D

Silly silly, my point was that there is no real difference between the self-leveling and non-self leveling. The amt of degree that the actual headlights is so minimal, it was just away to allow high and cars to have them. A stuipid law made up to make it legal for the rich folks....

Oh and don't forget....This argument is HYSTERICAL and will never end, people have their opinions and most peoples never change, I hear both sides of the argument 100%. But if you have me side by side with and Lexus 300. That Lexus "legal" ones will be 30 time more blinding then my "illegal" one's. (things that make you go hmmmmm)

Oooh I got an idea, you don't need to stare into them when you drive by...When you took drivers ED way back, remember when they teach you to look at the yellow line on your right when a bright light is coming in the other direction....they had the forsite to know the HIDS were com'n....:D

Battle on........

No battle necessary. All you have to do is be at the receiving end of a car where the lights don't auto-level, or are misaligned. Further, talk to an older driver, or someone with impaired night vision, to understand what happens to them when HIDs hit them in the face. Remember that not every road has a nice yellow (or white) line on the shoulder.

If being an adult makes me silly, I'll wear the dunce cap all day. And I repeat. Justify fashion statements all you like, but it doesn't make it right.

Kevin

So far noone has flashed me in the GT with the new HIDs. As soon as someone does, I'll take a closer look as the aim. It was fine stock-should be fine with different bulbs...

It isn't just the aim. HID lighting exists in a different spectrum than halogen lighting, one that makes it far more sensitive to those who have difficulty at night. This is the fundamental complaint about them.

Kevin

What if we get 3000k HID's?

I'm not sure if such things exist, but the very thing that makes the HID light so white, also makes it problematic for those who are susceptible, unfortunately.

And I certainly understand the need for HID, in some cases. I still remember the horrifying ride I had a friend's Pontiac Grand Prix. I kept asking him if his headlights were on. "Yes, for the last time." But compared to my WRX wagon with 9007 reflectors (but clearly a better design), it was like his lights weren't on. As a cyclist, a helmet-mounted 15-watt halogen light setup, in most areas, doesn't cast any usable light. An HID system by the same company gives you actually usable light, which makes night riding safer.

But the Legacy's projector halogen system is excellent. As Paul Hansen wrote, who has now experienced both cars, it isn't any less bright than the JDM HID setup, which makes you wonder why people are installing HID, if it isn't to see better? I dunno.

Kevin

I'm not sure if such things exist, but the very thing that makes the HID light so white, also makes it problematic for those who are susceptible, unfortunately.

But the Legacy's projector halogen system is excellent. As Paul Hansen wrote, who has now experienced both cars, it isn't any less bright than the JDM HID setup, which makes you wonder why people are installing HID, if it isn't to see better? I dunno.

Kevin

They do exist, 3000k light is very yellow, I don't know what you're trying to say here. :confused:

http://www.xenonfactory.com/products/hid/philips.htm

It's impossible to a human to objectively compare brightness between the two systems without seeing them side by side. If you were to guy buy some paint for house you wouldn't go down to home depot and just pick a color you though was similar would you? Nearly a 100% of the time you're pick the wrong color. Humans just can't do that. The HID's are brighter, ~1200 lumens vs 3000+ lumens.

No battle necessary. All you have to do is be at the receiving end of a car where the lights don't auto-level, or are misaligned. Further, talk to an older driver, or someone with impaired night vision, to understand what happens to them when HIDs hit them in the face. Remember that not every road has a nice yellow (or white) line on the shoulder.

If being an adult makes me silly, I'll wear the dunce cap all day. And I repeat. Justify fashion statements all you like, but it doesn't make it right.

Kevin

Ahhhh Old doesn't mean wise. The only laws I've ever broken are on my HIDS, My Tint, and speeding from time to time.....I think I'm a pretty good citizen.....

Pretty curious what laws have been broken by you in your lifetime that could've affected others...Things that make us go hmmmm

And right...I guess no battle, cuz Illegal is Illegal and shouldn't be.....

And you yourself would NEVER be able to tell the difference of Self Leveling or Non driving if you put 5 cars driving side by side and one didn't have Sefl leveling...not in a million years.....Bright is bright to the eye.

If you are too old, and brake everytime a car comes towards you at night cuz the lights are bright (brights, hids, or normal) maybe you shouldn't be on the road for everyones saftey.....

PS. just enjoy'n a good friendly chat...and get'n a different perspective. I talk to alot of people in the Auto industry....I've never seen someone fight so hard against them...

Do you hate the self leveling ones also? Do you think all HIDS should be Illegal....cuz if so, your argument would be easier to understand.

Ahhhh Old doesn't mean wise. The only laws I've ever broken are on my HIDS, My Tint, and speeding from time to time.....I think I'm a pretty good citizen.....
Please... there are so many laws to break that you could put the average person in jail by noon if you started counting at breakfast.. Selective enforcement is a way of life. Illegal != Wrong

They do exist, 3000k light is very yellow, I don't know what you're trying to say here. :confused:

http://www.xenonfactory.com/products/hid/philips.htm

It's impossible to a human to objectively compare brightness between the two systems without seeing them side by side. If you were to guy buy some paint for house you wouldn't go down to home depot and just pick a color you though was similar would you? Nearly a 100% of the time you're pick the wrong color. Humans just can't do that. The HID's are brighter, ~1200 lumens vs 3000+ lumens.

What I'm trying to say, quite simply, is that the Legacy doesn't need HIDs. It's halogen system is more than effective enough.

Kevin

Pretty curious what laws have been broken by you in your lifetime that could've affected others...Things that make us go hmmmm

And right...I guess no battle, cuz Illegal is Illegal and shouldn't be.....

And you yourself would NEVER be able to tell the difference of Self Leveling or Non driving if you put 5 cars driving side by side and one didn't have Sefl leveling...not in a million years.....Bright is bright to the eye.

If you are too old, and brake everytime a car comes towards you at night cuz the lights are bright (brights, hids, or normal) maybe you shouldn't be on the road for everyones saftey.....

PS. just enjoy'n a good friendly chat...and get'n a different perspective. I talk to alot of people in the Auto industry....I've never seen someone fight so hard against them...

Do you hate the self leveling ones also? Do you think all HIDS should be Illegal....cuz if so, your argument would be easier to understand.

Fortunately, I can see quite well at night. My wife, however (she's 41, not old by any stretch of the imagination) has night vision difficulties that, at times, render her impaired when hit in the face by a set of HIDs. So yes, I know what it's like, and have also talked to older drivers who have similar difficulties, though more severe.

HIDs operate in a different color temperature, one that is particularly difficult for some people to deal with. Halogens, even very effective ones such as the Legacy has, don't operate in that same spectrum.

For people affected, any and all HID systems are difficult to deal with. And telling those people to, in effect, get off the road for everyone's safety is not an effective argument, particularly when the answer is simpler: effective halogen systems such as the one on the Legacy, and many European cars that run an H7 setup.

HIDs are a fashion statement on the Legacy. Period. If people want to kid themselves and say that they "need" HIDs, that's fine. But the problem is that the USDM has long had the woefully ineffective 9000-series reflector headlight standard for most cars. As such, when people saw HID, it was like they could actually see at night. This makes sense, because 9000-series setups are appalling in the amount of usable light they get onto the road. So HIDs became all the rage, rather than designing proper halogen systems, such as the one on the Legacy GT.

Further, HIDs have become synonymous with luxury cars, and the aspirational aspects of that association makes modders want them, for the same reason people at Formula One races wear Ferrari gear more than any other team kit. If there were a way to run HIDs without, however temporarily, impairing someone, I would be all for it. But as far as anyone can discern, there isn't.

Tell me, do YOU want someone on a dividerless two-lane road, hurtling toward you and your HID-equipped car, seeing spots? I sure don't.

Kevin

This guy is what gtguy is talking about.. http://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/3437933.phtml

Don't hate the rest of us because of him, and definately don't be him.

Ahhh I don't hate anyone, ......but at least now we know where it's coming from. When people close to us get hurt....we tend to take things to the next level, and usually overboard. Was he even in the car to vouch that these were HIDS? Was it some "older" not so well seeing individual (as he states) that had their high beams on coming towards her? When people get in accidents (or anything tragic), the the human brain instantly looks for some quick way out, some explination on why their body failed to react. When most likely (even though prob blinded in this sit.) the person could've avoided the situation in the first place. A car runs a red light, another car is coming through the intersection....98% of the time BOTH will slam on their brakes....when if one had enough sense in an emergency situation, could hit the gas and squeak through without a scracth and a heavy heart beat. My sis got in a huge car accident, jaw wired shut for 6 months...mom was in the hosiptal.....Same deal bright lights (so they say) I love them and it sux, but My mom isn't the best night driver and shouldn't be on the road....I've told her that over and over.......guess what, she listens now and we drive her around at night.......Maybe I just have awesome vision, but never have I ever been blinded on the roads, not even with people come'n with their BMW high beam HIDS.....cuz I DON"T LOOK AT THE LIGHT.......

I apologize for my "fashion" statment, and am def sorry that your wife got in an accident......just don't be so closed to something cuz someone close to you got hurt. If your kid swears young cuz he hears it from his friend...you gonna not let him/her see his friends anymore, or from music....you gonna stop him/her from listening to all music? Aleve is said to trigger heart attacts in some....they should make it illegal.....Do you have this debate with your friends who might have hids, or even peoples who's HIDS are legal......? The funny part is I don't know why I respond, know'n that you are just getting more and more into this, and this fuels negitivty, and confict which some desire.....I'm done fight'n for the otherside (myside) cuz...your opinion will never change.....on with the mods :D

I'm not be'n an ars here (not on pourpose). and I def see your side and where you are coming from. I'm just stick'n up for the otherside cuz I'm a debater....and it's fun to push people, to try and see where they are coming from....now I know. (sorry again about the accident)

PS. My HIDS are wait'n for me at my buddies house, both sets came in for his car and mine........did I mention he's 42 and a Cop.......interesting)

• 5 years later...
get a valentine, legacy's with projector or perfectly legal!!! And believe me I had my halogen's for about 2 weeks, and upgraded to HID and it had a wider view over the stock.

Are you seriously arguing with people from five years ago? LOL!

I now know why I won't be upgrading to HID. We were driving in a line of cars going about 80 and we were the only car with HID (Audi Allroad). Cop tags the guy in the front with K band and pulls us over, 3 cars back into the line. I am 100% sure that the only reason he pulled us over and not someone else in the line was because we had HID's and he felt,"get the guy with the fancy car". To strenghten my point, he didn't write us a speeding ticket, he gave us a traffic light violation citation. Probly cause he knew we were just following traffic and it wasn't fair that we got nailed and not the guy up front.

So that's why i won't be upgrading to HID. Now can a cop tell the difference between a projector Halogen and an HID....I hope so?

What was the limit posted here that you were doing 80 it? Cops do not hit ppl for doing 5 over. 9mph is normally a warning and 10 over goes to the insurance company. Did anyone run a light because I dont know why he pulled anyone over in the first place. Unless he has a record for pulling people over that are doing 5mph over then he can back it up but otherwise he profiled the shit out of your group. O wait a minute, it is illegal for an officer to profile. enough proof that shows you all were profiled might get you rich. but dont do it unless you have good enough cause that you were profiled.

Archived