LegacyGT.com

First Subie Snow Test Drive

We're expected to get 10" of snow over the next 24 hours. Wish me luck in my first test drive of the subie in the snow! If you have any specific helpful hints about driving the LGT in snow, aside from the usual slow down and be safe, please let me know.

And, knowing how weathermen can be... I'll probably wake-up to the sun shining and no snow at all! :lol:

I just tested mine this past weekend in leftovers from a prior storm. You're going to be amazed at how well the car handles! I felt completely comfortable passing at safe, manageable speeds. I was able to ascend an incline covered in snow while another 4x4 with chains was unable to do so without a lot of effort. Post pics!

I got high sided up at Mt Hood on Tuesday on my lowered wagon! I have studless snows but 14" of cascade cement and unplowed roads did me in! First time ever in any of me subies! This due to the propane truck driver that made me stop on a one lane road and made me get stuck! He did help me get going again !

Have fun in the snow. Subies do great in the white stuff. Had no issues getting out of my driveway the other night through 14" of snow. or getting back in after the blasted plow guy made a nice deeper berm. Although RE92's not the best winter rubber, so be safe.

I have a MT so downshifting ftw, just be careful not to use too much pressure when breaking or the rear end will come around faster then you can blink. at least on my lgt and this was back when i was stock.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Remember your stopping and turning ability is no better than other cars around you. Don't let AWD give you a false sense of security.

+1

That was my first impression in snow. Wow this car can go! Then I hit the brakes and slid over 20 feet while ABS was going nuts.

We got over 35inchs in december alone, i love this car in the snow even with these bad tires, im used to 350+hp rwd v8s with bald tires from too many brake stands in summer so even with these shitty tires its still a shit ton better.

Just be over cautious with your braking distances and you'll be fine. It's SO easy to get going in snow, but not so easy to stop (especially with the RE92's) I run snows (Hankook IceBear 300's) in the winter for that reason alone.

I took my old Outback out on unplowed roads right after the blizzard of 03 we had out here (3+ feet) and had a blast. I DID finally get stuck pulling back into the driveway, but it was only because I didn't have enough momentum to blast through the wall of snow the plows had made while I was out playing. Fun times!

Ours is great in the snow, but like many people here said, drive smart. Don't be a sucker into thinking you're invincible because you have AWD (or 4WD). I can't even begin to tell you how many CU Students driving daddy's SUV up in the mountains end up 30 feet into the woods because they're clueless in the snow.

I have the Yoko Advans on our 2.5i Wagon and I absolutely hate them in the snow... so I take it real easy. We're saving up for a Winter wheel/tire package as we speak.

I have the stock RE92's. We don't typically get that much snow in OK to warrant a snow tire. Are there better all-season alternatives that still have a comparable ride quality?

The last tires my car wore before I traded it off were Conti-Extreme Contacts. They provided a good ride, good handling, better wet traction, and compared to the RE92's the car was a snowmobile with Conti's on.

I have the stock RE92's. We don't typically get that much snow in OK to warrant a snow tire. Are there better all-season alternatives that still have a comparable ride quality?

UMMMMMM, No!!! Snow tires =FUNNNNNNNNNNN:lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

We're expected to get 10" of snow over the next 24 hours. Wish me luck in my first test drive of the subie in the snow! If you have any specific helpful hints about driving the LGT in snow, aside from the usual slow down and be safe, please let me know.

And, knowing how weathermen can be... I'll probably wake-up to the sun shining and no snow at all! :lol:

So how'd it go? We got some of the fun white stuff here in OKC too, I didn't go play in it with the car though.

So how'd it go? We got some of the fun white stuff here in OKC too, I didn't go play in it with the car though.

As I suspected the forecast of 10" of snow quickly turned into a light dusting to maybe half an inch of snow. Disappointing. If it was a few degrees colder, it may have been a different story, but most of it melted as soon as it hit.

To all of you anti-RE92 people in snow-infested areas - you just don't get it. Those of us with rare occasions that snow tires would be beneficial don't warrant the cost. We can just as easily drive slower and more cautious, and use chains as needed before the weather disappears.

We get it, the RE92s suck in the snow...

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/01/30/get_a_grip/

Take it slow is not an acceptable answer. What if you are driving 20mph (as you see safe) and someone else can't stop in time as you pass through an intersection. You attempt an emergency swerve but the tires can't bite and you plow into the other car.

Excellent Video! Thanks!

We get it, the RE92s suck in the snow...

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/01/30/get_a_grip/

Take it slow is not an acceptable answer. What if you are driving 20mph (as you see safe) and someone else can't stop in time as you pass through an intersection. You attempt an emergency swerve but the tires can't bite and you plow into the other car.

Riiiiiiiight. I agree - snow tires in Canada. Or any other area that has a "winter" season. But for areas like mine, we're just as well with all seasons and cautious driving...and chains as needed. Alarmists on this board! :eek:

... I run snows (Hankook IceBear 300's) in the winter for that reason alone.

Same here! We just had over a foot of the white stuff last night and I had a blast driving in to work this morning. My only caveat is that I find those tires a touch wide for my liking. The car seems to 'plane' a touch easier with the wider slick. But the guy I bought the car from told me they (Hankooks) were more of a performance tire and that I could improve snow handling using other tires.

A friend of mine who has a hemi Charger had a very painful time trying to navigate through the parking lot... It was brutal to see... All that horsepower for naught... He's got a 'Yeah, it's got a hemi' sticker in the rear window, as if the tacky foot high letters on the hood weren't indication enough! Ha!

For sure, hey we live in Canada and their's snow here so Snow Tires. Plus if you keep your car for 4 or 5 years you have the upfront cost of the snows now but in the long run it works out.

Had a little fun last night with our snow storm!

Archived