LegacyGT.com

The Monte Cristo

-TT-

So to those with a Bennigans nearby, you may be familiar with the Monte Cristo

If, not allow me to explain. It is a Ham and Turkey Sandwich with Swiss and American cheese then the entire thing is battered and fried. the outside is dusted with powdered sugar and it is served with fries, a pickle, and red raspberry preserves that are apparently for dipping.

Bennigans is not the only place that serves it nor is it where it originated according to wikipedia (if you believe wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cristo_sandwich

http://www.bennigans.com/images/micro_menu/food_montecristo.jpg

so i just tried one of these tonight and all i can say is that i don't think it is possible to eat the whole thing by one's self and if it is, it may very well kill you. of course this is all in my opinion and i know there are people that have completed the task and lived to tell about it, but holy god that sandwich was THE most challenging thing i have ever attempted to eat so far. i could only finish half. i attribute this to the fact that the entire thing is battered and fried. that alone makes it insurmountable in my opinion.

that being said, i think i am going to die tonight. :lol:

any other people try this?

Dude, you need to try it at better places than Bennigan's.

I love a good Monte Cristo, but the one at Bennigan's is mediocre at best.

Also, better served with chips than fries.

And yes, believe Wikipedia ... it was most certainly not created at Bennigan's.

I love a good Monte Cristo, but the one at Bennigan's is mediocre at best.

Also, better served with chips than fries.

And yes, believe Wikipedia ... it was most certainly not created at Bennigan's.

now that i tried this and it was mediocre, i am curious as to local joints that make a good one. oh, and i had no doubt that a place like Bennigan's hasn't actually invented anything on their menu.

I don't even know where there is a Bennigans but if I did I'm positive I wouldnt eat there :lol::lol::lol:

I :wub: monte cristos but it's a heart attack sandwich basically. So good though.

Every diner around here makes them. Obviously the better the diner the better teh sandwich. Alot of delis make them too.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Turkey O'Toole is a better Bennigan's sandwich.

My wife had a craving for a Monte Cristo a few months back. Luckily, a Greek diner at University of MD near my dad's office makes a good one and we met him there. I had a patty melt with cheddar <heart explode>

Turkey O'Toole is a better Bennigan's sandwich.

My wife had a craving for a Monte Cristo a few months back. Luckily, a Greek diner at University of MD near my dad's office makes a good one and we met him there. I had a patty melt with cheddar <heart explode>

:lol::lol: I stick by not eating a Bennigans

I :wub: patty melts too but that's even more of a heart attack like you said PGT

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

We went there last week after a funeral with about 35 family members and I noticed that they now make monte cristo wraps for an appetizer. They are like an eggroll but made out of the same stuff as the sandwich.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

I've never heard of Bennigan's. I'm assuming we don't have them around here, or atleast anywhere in my neck of the woods.

that's what I was saying. They're extremely rare around here. I guess they're more common in places that don't have diners & stuff really like we have here.

We have a cheap immitation of bennigans here in Portsmouth.

I think there is one in Roanoke VA where I used to live, IIRC.

but no diners right?

We have a cheap immitation of bennigans here in Portsmouth.

I think there is one in Roanoke VA where I used to live, IIRC.

:lol: kinda makes Bennigan's seem higher-end than it actually is.

Bennigans, Ruby Tuesday, TGI Friday, Applebee's....you could take a menu from any of them and leave it at the others and nobody would notice. 'American Bar/Grill'...blah.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: well said PGT

Bennigans, Ruby Tuesday, TGI Friday, Applebee's....you could take a menu from any of them and leave it at the others and nobody would notice. 'American Bar/Grill'...blah.

+ 11-ty

We seem to have a Bennigan's every couple of miles here. I know like 3 in Chicagoland.

+ 11-ty

We seem to have a Bennigan's every couple of miles here. I know like 3 in Chicagoland.

Chicago is lame :rolleyes::hide:

:lol:

Friday night I went to my local watering hole and had a craving for one of these.

Well, I ran into this chick I met on new years who invited me to join them. Turns out they all used to be servers, so they were making fun of me for ordering a sandwich that was something like 1500 calories!

I'm a thin guy who usually eats fairly healthy, so I wasn't terribly concerned. ;)

powdered sugar? eww

oh I didnt even see that part. Usually when I get it at the diner it doesnt have powdered sugar on it

Archived