LegacyGT.com

Installed: sti tranny mount and hardened shifter bushings

sandwood

Got these from Cobb. This is a relatively simple and cheap mod (sorry, no pictures).

The tranny mount is simply much more substantial than the oem. I believe it is the same unit used in the wrx sti. It adds some precision to shifts (I have the 5mt with short throw shifter). Shifting is still a bit notchy but overall feel does not change radically. The main difference is cutting down on slop when you get on or off the gas quickly. The shifter stays solid. I'm also finding it makes off throttle deceleration slightly smoother - less tendency for jerking.

The obvious downside: it definitely transmits more transmission noise to the passenger compartment. I don't find it obnoxious, and it is largely swallowed by other noises as you get up to highway speeds. But it is noticeable, so those of you who prioritize NVH, I'd skip it. Otherwise, I think these additions are a good idea if you are doing power mods. :cool:

Cheers.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Or just put a Magic Fingers under both driver's and passenger's seats for that same, "full rally" experience. :lol:

I had the Gp. N engine and transmission mounts in my WRX, and no way in hell would I put those things in my Legacy GT. :lol:

Kevin

Absolutely agree with gtguy on this one. I've got STI Group N:

Shifter bushing, 5MT trans mount and left/right engine mounts and pitch stop rod in my 98 LGT and there is no way on God's green earth that I'd put that in the 05 LGT. Evar!

Noise - you hear everything from the drivetrain, and it radiates throughout the cabine

Vibration - Anything that moves in the drivetrain gets transmitted back to the shifter as the wobble stick on the end of it all. Can actually overstimulate your hand and make it hurt if you ride with our hand on the shifter

Harshness - All shifts/launches, on/off throttle torque and engine pitching is actually less noticeable but it's still right "now" so you notice that things happen quicker rather than smoother.

Depends what you can tolerate, what you're willing to pay - these items are pricey - and ultimately, what you hope to achieve.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm not planning on adding engine mounts etc. I haven't experienced the mounts et al in an impreza, so I can't comment on that. But I would have to say that gtguy and subietonic's comments are just a wee bit inflammatory in this case. Does the mount add noise, yes, like I said, it does. The legacy is a very quiet car, however, so even with some added noise, it is still a quiet car. I would say the cabin noise is still less than a stock wrx.

Having said that, this mod is not a big deal either way - it adds some smoothness, redistributes shocks throughout the entire drivetrain in a different manner, and adds some tranny noise. I have the feeling that those of us adding power, especially stage 2, will want to consider taking some of the slop out of the drivetrain. exhaust mods will likely add more noise than this, but either way, in the end the car is going to be significantly louder than oem. for some of us, that is bad, others enjoy it.

that's all.

I wouldn't call my comments "inflammatory," sandwood, just the voice of experience for those who might be considering going farther. I had the engine mounts installed along in my WRX with the transmission mounts, and NVH saw a significant increase, in an already-noisy car.

Further, I don't think that they are the improvement that everyone says that they are. They firm things up, to be sure. But I challenge anyone to drive a car with the engine/transmission mounts and one without, and be able to say "Whoa, that's a LOT better." It isn't. It's a bit more solid, which is cool if that's what you're after. I wouldn't suggest that those considering making more power add these things. They won't make any real difference in that regard. Your engine will move a bit on the mounts if you apply abrupt throttle inputs, which is what people do when they say "See how much the engine moves," then slam on the throttle. Do it smoothly, and the engine barely moves at all.

Ditto for the transmission mount.

But my perspective is more from a "been there, done that" viewpoint, rather than the "anti-mod" millstone that has been hung around my neck. And from that perspective, for me, the disadvantages of mods such as these outweigh the advantages.

Kevin

ok, I wasn't trying to pidgeon hole you there, but your comments applied to your experiences with the wrx, not the legacy, and I think I made it pretty clear in my original post that the benefits of this mod are not substantial and that there is a trade off. the mounts reduce drivetrain lash. adding power to the car increases drivetrain lash unless you are the smoothest driver in the first place. therefore - my clarification - for the average driver, the mount does help smooth throttle transitions - and I suppose that is true with or without any power mods. nothing personal, I assure you.

I did the tranny and engine mounts in my WRX. did the tranny one first, then the engine ones a few months later. The tranny mount didn't seem to add any noise that I could tell, but it did feel better. The engine mounts however did add noise (good noise, but noise none the less) I loved the sound of the engine one I installed the engine mounts. I doubt I would do it in the legacy just because I don't want to do that much stuff to my legacy. but the tranny mount might be a good idea if its simple to install (I had mine installed on my wrx when they fixed the clutch shudder problem)

i dis agree with the assumptions of these mods and how they would affect the 2005 lgt. im one for trying out firstposting 2nd.......... not to change any theories about mounts but none of the things even i was expecting exist. no vibration, no noise, does not feel anything like a rally car!! and i think a must have if you are to go stage two

james

I'd like to chime in a bit here - these are not Group N level mounts. The STi transmission and engine mounts are indeed firmer material than stock, along with the pitch stopper, but they are not as firm as the Impreza STi Group N setups. Well, thats what I have been told, at least. I am looking forward to putting them on my car to see - I was supposed to have some by now, but they got sold on to a customer before I even got to glance at them. :o

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.apexjapan.com

Archived