LegacyGT.com

porter cable ( PC ) starter kit?

i have been using the Griots polisher and products they seem to work well plus i can buy it all in one spot. bosco

http://www.griotsgarage.com/

I got the Griots polisher as a gift last year and it's great. Products can be a bit pricey but it's superconvenient and they offer nice discounts on some bundled packages.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

• 4 weeks later...

Okay more questions for OCD and whoever else wants to chime in.

Dear OCD,

This weekend I did a full detail on my LGT and my girlfriends Mazda 3.

I purchased a PC 7424, and Edge 2000 pads (blue for paint cleaner, white for paint sealant. I am using a deep gloss Wolfgang paint sealant, and a Paint cleaner, also by Wolfgang.

I've cleaned and paint seal'ed the LGT before, but the PC really made the process much easier and more enjoyable. I'll never do it by hand again.

The Legacy looks amazing. It has a nice reflective finish to it now, and the surface is smooth as ice/glass. The detail really brought out the pearl in my SWP paint, and I was able to use a clay bar to remove IFO where I found it, and some unsightly overspray on my rear bumper (a touchup done prior to me purchasing the car by the dealer). I did not clay the whole car. I am so happy about how my Legacy looks.

I am less happy about how my girlfriend's Mazda 3 looks. She has a 2004 orange metallic 3, and its a good looking sedan! She washed it, and then I used the paint cleaner, and then did applied the sealant, same process as the legacy. I did not clay on her car.

Something I noticed with her 3 is that the car is not smooth to the touch. It is rough, unlike my legacy, and its glass-like coat. While her car has a much better shine, and the color seems more vibrant, the touch of the car is really bothering me. Conversely, she's very happy with it as is. When I checked it again yesterday the car appears to have some sun or water damage on the roof (that I was able to see). You can't see it by just looking at it, but when you get level with the roof and the light hits just right, you can see slight 'spots' of sort. There is no discoloration or noticable wear in the paint. She is pretty good about keeping her car clean, but less good about using a wax/sealant and less good about drying it after it was washed. This is the first time I have used a sealant/wax on her car.

What is the best way to get her car feeling as smooth as mine without harming the paint?

I imagine I need a harsher pad. Is that accurate? If so which Edge 2000 pad should I use? Orange or Green?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Sore arms in Austin

Go Cardinals!

I have not done a full detail in a year or so but from what I read, LCC pads are very well liked. I got the sonus pads and they have been more trouble then they are worth. I had a rally blue 1998 2.5RS and did a wash, clay, wash, poorboys SSR 2.5, Poorboys SSR 1, Poorboys sealant and then a Poorboys Natty Blue and it looked amazing.

If you really want a wealth of information visit www.autopia.org. The folks on there know literally everything there is to know about detailling.

Okay more questions for OCD and whoever else wants to chime in.

Dear OCD,

This weekend I did a full detail on my LGT and my girlfriends Mazda 3.

I purchased a PC 7424, and Edge 2000 pads (blue for paint cleaner, white for paint sealant. I am using a deep gloss Wolfgang paint sealant, and a Paint cleaner, also by Wolfgang.

I've cleaned and paint seal'ed the LGT before, but the PC really made the process much easier and more enjoyable. I'll never do it by hand again.

The Legacy looks amazing. It has a nice reflective finish to it now, and the surface is smooth as ice/glass. The detail really brought out the pearl in my SWP paint, and I was able to use a clay bar to remove IFO where I found it, and some unsightly overspray on my rear bumper (a touchup done prior to me purchasing the car by the dealer). I did not clay the whole car. I am so happy about how my Legacy looks.

I am less happy about how my girlfriend's Mazda 3 looks. She has a 2004 orange metallic 3, and its a good looking sedan! She washed it, and then I used the paint cleaner, and then did applied the sealant, same process as the legacy. I did not clay on her car.

Something I noticed with her 3 is that the car is not smooth to the touch. It is rough, unlike my legacy, and its glass-like coat. While her car has a much better shine, and the color seems more vibrant, the touch of the car is really bothering me. Conversely, she's very happy with it as is. When I checked it again yesterday the car appears to have some sun or water damage on the roof (that I was able to see). You can't see it by just looking at it, but when you get level with the roof and the light hits just right, you can see slight 'spots' of sort. There is no discoloration or noticable wear in the paint. She is pretty good about keeping her car clean, but less good about using a wax/sealant and less good about drying it after it was washed. This is the first time I have used a sealant/wax on her car.

What is the best way to get her car feeling as smooth as mine without harming the paint?

I imagine I need a harsher pad. Is that accurate? If so which Edge 2000 pad should I use? Orange or Green?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Sore arms in Austin

You need to clay her car!!

Seriously claying the car is what removes that roughness you feel in the paint. Also the water marks are water spots that have etched the paint you'll need to try something a touch more aggressive OR polish for a little longer in order to remove them (green pad maybe?). Its also possible that her paint is a touch harder than Subaru's notoriously soft paint.

You need to clay her car!!

But I dont wannaaa!

(whine)

Seriously, I hate claying, its not so bad on my SWP because I can see it remove IFO and other stuff from the paint, but on a orange metallic paint, its impossible to tell any difference, visually, when I go over a new area with the clay, so I skipped the clay :)

If you think thats best though, maybe I will do that next time. The green pad was what I was thinking too.

Go Cardinals!

I picked up a UDM package. I honestly cant remember what all i got though. Off the top of my head i know i got the XT line. some microfiber bonnets, a few pads. orange, blue, white, grey. A winshield detailing kit. And soem other stuff i know i am forgetting. I spent around 350 or so for the stuff. I have a mess load.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

But I dont wannaaa!

(whine)

Seriously, I hate claying, its not so bad on my SWP because I can see it remove IFO and other stuff from the paint, but on a orange metallic paint, its impossible to tell any difference, visually, when I go over a new area with the clay, so I skipped the clay :)

If you think thats best though, maybe I will do that next time. The green pad was what I was thinking too.

The benefits of claying will not be immediately visible on anything darker than silver, but you should still see the crap coming off on the clay bar, and the surface will be buttery smooth. You CAN see the difference in the finished results however as your product requires a clean and smooth surface to do its job correctly.

The clay will help to remove water spotting, and will allow the cleaner to do its job more efficiently. After you clay, clean and seal her car you will be wishing LGT's came in orange metallic color. I would recommend throwing some optimum polish in the mix as well (after the cleaner and before sealing).

Archived