LegacyGT.com

Is it normal for the stock 2.5i stereo to sound like utter crap?

OzLegacy

Sorry... tried to think of a catchy subject line :)

I have the following stereo in my Aussie-spec Liberty (Legacy):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/zoomzoomfan/subaru/IMGP1837.jpg

And I'm sad to say that it sounds like a$$. Its got 6-CD changer, MP3, etc.

I find that the sound in general comes out muffled and of low quality. The sound really sucks when SRS-WOW is turned off... with it on, there's an improvement, but not much.

Also, when the fader is set to 0, absolutely no sound is audible from the rear speakers. In order to get sound from the rear's I need to put the fader to at least 3R (three steps towards the rear).

Is this simply how this stereo is, or should I just take the car to the dealer to have the system looked at?

TIA.

Stereo "suckiness" is a VEEERY subjective thing. I for one think my '08 USDM Legacy stereo sounds GREAT with SRS in, very bassy, highs are high. Good all around factory stereo. While you will get all the audiophiles on here claiming Subaru should have put a $5000 competition system in there.

To each there own. However if what I have read i right, you are lucky in the fact that your stereo is NOT integrated with your HVAC unit, so you can get a new bezel and upgrade to a better HU with ease. I may be wrong there, but I have read that you guys actualy have a modular set up in the back. (i.e. where you tape blank is you can get a tape deck and attach it under the CD player)

Best of luck and be ready for an overabundance of personal opinions :rolleyes:

I would say though, if you are truly gettin 0 audio from your rear speakers, then there most likely is a problem and the dealership should be able to diagnos that.

Archived