LegacyGT.com

Nokian WR, WR G2 or Hakka RSI

SubieAA

Hello,

I have decided I want dedicated winter tires and I have narrowed them to three Nokian tires after a good amount of research this week.

I drive 30 miles each way, six days a week on highways, and live in Boston, but also drive around the 495 - Mass Pike area towns.

I plan to drive these tires from October to May (I am considering keeping the RE92s in the warm months as the rubber looks like it will perform when the temperature is warm).

I want to be able to handle unplowed driveway, or smaller roads when plowing is delayed (especially the non-plow winter storm event we had earlier this winter).

I know a lot of you drive the WRs, and with an AWD, maybe it is all you need no matter what.

My take so far:

Nokian WR

Pro: Very Good wet/ slush handling, good speed handling, good dry weather handling (important in MA with the very variable weather we have in the winter), Good to Very Good snow handling (I have not read any bad experiences of people driving in snow), and long tread life. Maybe not great in ice.

Con: Maybe some snow handling (like my unplowed want above).

Nokian WR G2

Pro/Con: From what I have read, this tire sounds like more of a dry weather handler compared to the WR. I have read about disappointing feedback on one of the boards. It looks like a new experimental design; it may be designed for a warming central Europe, but I think New England may get more snow although more warm days as well. I did not find many user reviews of this tire versus the WR.

Nokian Hakka RSI

Pro: Great all winter condition handling (snow/wet/ice). Can handle the highway and dry road. Still good treadlife, even if not as high as the WR and WR G2 based on my use.

Cons: Road noise, not good on dry if we have a dry winter which we can, tread life can shorten if this happens, LGT handling on dry may be undesirable.

I got information from Nokian in the attached link.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=10360796&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20WR%20G2

Thanks.

If you know, can you please also advise a good dealer and the size tire works best on 05 LGT wagon?

fairly accurate take on the WRs -- they are also very quiet and comfortable. dry handling is adequate; of course, one has to expect a bit of a trade-off in terms of acceleration/carving performance vs. a perf-oriented A/S. Also note that wear will occur more rapidly in warmer weather -- they are very soft comp -- but tough inner walls: they take a bump fairly well. Only place I found them severely lacking, even dangerous, was braking in small aggregate gravel (maybe clogs the sipes???). I had run the 225s (i think /50); made the sedan feel like a caddy :) Overall, a great winter tire; they handled the white that I threw them into well enough -- even the odd unplowed parking lot ;)

I have owned Nokian WR on Civic & currently WR G2 on LGT (both wife's). Snow performance is equal IMHO. In slush WR G2 trumps the WR.

Wr G2's I only have 5 storm experience from few inches of slick stuff to up over bumper powder.

The Nokian WR's IMHO are a great tire for New England conditions. I am a 10-20 day/year (bump) skier who chooses to go only when its fresh REAL snow not matter the driving conditions in my past. The Nokian WR's worked quite well.

The benefits of moving to other Nokian's are likely ice. I don't think Nokian WR and likely WR G2 gives you ice performance of a true pure winter tire but better than all-seasons. I don't have enough experience on WR G2's to say how they perform on ice.

I have owned Nokian WR on Civic & currently WR G2 on LGT (both wife's). Snow performance is equal IMHO. In slush WR G2 trumps the WR.

Wr G2's I only have 5 storm experience from few inches of slick stuff to up over bumper powder.

The Nokian WR's IMHO are a great tire for New England conditions. I am a 10-20 day/year (bump) skier who chooses to go only when its fresh REAL snow not matter the driving conditions in my past. The Nokian WR's worked quite well.

The benefits of moving to other Nokian's are likely ice. I don't think Nokian WR and likely WR G2 gives you ice performance of a true pure winter tire but better than all-seasons. I don't have enough experience on WR G2's to say how they perform on ice.

What size tire did you put on the stock rims? Do you (your wife) use the WR G2 year round?

The RSi is not really loud, a non issue really. It will smoke the WRs in ice, and snow. But you won't quite get the dry traction. They are not squishy in the dry, totally acceptable IMO.

You have to decide which is more important:

-Good dry vs pretty good dry

-excellent snow vs good snow

-good ice vs so-so ice

The RSi is not really loud, a non issue really. It will smoke the WRs in ice, and snow. But you won't quite get the dry traction. They are not squishy in the dry, totally acceptable IMO.

You have to decide which is more important:

-Good dry vs pretty good dry

-excellent snow vs good snow

-good ice vs so-so ice

How do you think the RSI tread will hold up for winter season driving where there are ~10 days a winter where you are driving through near untreated snow conditions, 10 days a winter where the roads are icy, wet. The rest dry and simply wet.

Also what size tire do you use on stock rims?

How do you think the RSI tread will hold up for winter season driving where there are ~10 days a winter where you are driving through near untreated snow conditions, 10 days a winter where the roads are icy, wet. The rest dry and simply wet.

Also what size tire do you use on stock rims?

Use a 215/45/17 (OEM size) or a 225/45/17 for greater sidewall protection.

Use a 205/50/17 for greater snow and ice traction (pretty sure that works fine on our OEM rims).

I have the RSis on my minivan, 25,000 kms (15,500 miles) on them now, and I imagine I will get 60,000 kms or so out of them (37,000 miles). At that point there will be 5/32 of tread left, maybe a bit more.

I have the RSis on my minivan, 25,000 kms (15,500 miles) on them now, and I imagine I will get 60,000 kms or so out of them (37,000 miles). At that point there will be 5/32 of tread left, maybe a bit more.

Thanks for the user feedback. Do you use the RSIs year-round? If not, when do you take them off?

Thanks for the user feedback. Do you use the RSIs year-round? If not, when do you take them off?

I use them in the winter on my Mazda MPV, best winter tires I have ever had (and I have had winter tires on every single car I have ever owned for the past 17 years).

They will wear out faster in the heat, that is for sure. Our winters can get cold, but there are many many days of warmish dry pavement that I use them on.

When they only have 5/32 on them I may keep them on for the summer and get the most out of them.

Subie, where have you found is a good place to get Nokian's around Boston... and what kind of prices are you seeing?

I have read on these boards of:

John & Sons Tire Service

541 Amory St

Manchester, NH 03102

Contact John & Sons Tire Service Phone: (603) 627-1585

I have read about prices under $700 for four WR G2 mounted, plus no tax.

I am going to call them tomorrow.

I use them in the winter on my Mazda MPV, best winter tires I have ever had (and I have had winter tires on every single car I have ever owned for the past 17 years).

They will wear out faster in the heat, that is for sure. Our winters can get cold, but there are many many days of warmish dry pavement that I use them on.

When they only have 5/32 on them I may keep them on for the summer and get the most out of them.

Thanks for your feedback. Our winters in Boston are nothing like as cold as yours in Manitoba, even if the snowfall might be similar. With our higher temps (25F is considered cold), I think the rubber on the WR G2 will not lose as much elasticity as it would in Winnipeg, and will last longer than the RSIs.

What size tire did you put on the stock rims? Do you (your wife) use the WR G2 year round?

For her the WR G2 is a year round tire as was the WR on her previous Civic. We used the stock size of 215/45/17 on the stock wheels.

I used John & Sons to install/purchase as they were my nearest Nokian dealer and fortunately least expensive, very quick/efficient small place.

Thanks for your feedback. Our winters in Boston are nothing like as cold as yours in Manitoba, even if the snowfall might be similar. With our higher temps (25F is considered cold), I think the rubber on the WR G2 will not lose as much elasticity as it would in Winnipeg, and will last longer than the RSIs.

I think you are absolutely right.

For those days when you are on snow or ice the RSis will still outperform, but they will not last as long.

FWIW the last few winters we have had a 50/50 mix of -30F and +30F.

If I were living where you were I would have performance winters (like I have now, I am willing to make the compromise). If I were living where you are and my wife drove the car I would still have the RSis as they give me the most peace of mind when it is icy or snowing.

In South Jersey we don't get but a few bad days each winter, but I need to get to work regardless of conditions. This is the third "season" for RSIs (3 months with a daily commute of 50 miles round trip) and the tread wear is still showing 8s. I try to keep the speed down (70 or under) and the tires get changed out as soon as the threat of snow/ice is over. I'm using stock wheels with 205-50/17 tires.

In South Jersey we don't get but a few bad days each winter, but I need to get to work regardless of conditions. This is the third "season" for RSIs (3 months with a daily commute of 50 miles round trip) and the tread wear is still showing 8s. I try to keep the speed down (70 or under) and the tires get changed out as soon as the threat of snow/ice is over. I'm using stock wheels with 205-50/17 tires.

My winter season lasts six months, with the same number of bad days. I doubt I could keep the speed below 70 as traffic moves faster often. Have you ever tried the WRs?

• 2 weeks later...
The RSi is not really loud, a non issue really. It will smoke the WRs in ice, and snow. But you won't quite get the dry traction. They are not squishy in the dry, totally acceptable IMO.//

I have both. I do not agree.

The only real downside for the RSI's in the Boston area is that like every dedicated snow we have, they suck in wet cornering. They're not supposed to last too long but they're holding up surprisingly well.

The WR and WRG2 are just about the perfect tire for coastal New England, where we might get rain, snow, and ice all in the same day. I've also driven with the WR's in deep, heavy, unplowed snow and found them to be much better than expected. I'm planning to take the RSI's off their rims and sell them.

We have two Honda Accord V6's, one with RSI's and one with WR's, that I hope to be able to drive back-to-back one of these days in a snowstorm. But we no longer buy dedicated snows for company cars- we use the WR's year 'round. The Legacy GT owner at work uses the WR's as snows. Another business acquaintance uses WR's on an OBW for her sales territory of ME, NH, VT, and Quebec: she is a big fan.

We've purchased all our Nokians at Johns (that's half a dozen sets in the last three years) and they have the best prices we've found. They're on the west side of Manchester off 293, just about an hour drive from Boston. Actually, not far from Manchester Subaru. Sometimes they can get them the same day, but usually need one day to get them from the warehouse.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My winter season lasts six months, with the same number of bad days. I doubt I could keep the speed below 70 as traffic moves faster often. Have you ever tried the WRs?

No. I figured on dedicated winter tires for winter, not all season tires. I didn't mean I never go faster than 70, I just try to keep the speed down especially on days when the road is warm and dry.

I have both. I do not agree.

The only real downside for the RSI's in the Boston area is that like every dedicated snow we have, they suck in wet cornering. They're not supposed to last too long but they're holding up surprisingly well.

The WR and WRG2 are just about the perfect tire for coastal New England, where we might get rain, snow, and ice all in the same day. I've also driven with the WR's in deep, heavy, unplowed snow and found them to be much better than expected. I'm planning to take the RSI's off their rims and sell them.

We have two Honda Accord V6's, one with RSI's and one with WR's, that I hope to be able to drive back-to-back one of these days in a snowstorm. But we no longer buy dedicated snows for company cars- we use the WR's year 'round. The Legacy GT owner at work uses the WR's as snows. Another business acquaintance uses WR's on an OBW for her sales territory of ME, NH, VT, and Quebec: she is a big fan.

We've purchased all our Nokians at Johns (that's half a dozen sets in the last three years) and they have the best prices we've found. They're on the west side of Manchester off 293, just about an hour drive from Boston. Actually, not far from Manchester Subaru. Sometimes they can get them the same day, but usually need one day to get them from the warehouse.

I agree with everything you posted. I went up to John's and got the WR G2's installed and they are great tires. I could not even get them to slip in icy conditions last week. I plan to use them as winter tires, and the stock RE92s as summer tires. John's had the best prices by far.

Ditch RE92. WR G2 will be much better in summer in all conditions. Why would downgrade for summer, especially when wet traction is important and WRs are far better than RE92? If you can't afford dedicated summer tire just use WRs your round.

Ditch RE92. WR G2 will be much better in summer in all conditions. Why would downgrade for summer, especially when wet traction is important and WRs are far better than RE92? If you can't afford dedicated summer tire just use WRs your round.

Why do you think the RE92s come stock? They are more expensive than most tires. My thought the rubber chemistry is optimized for warm weather (they lose elasticity in the cold), and they would outperform for handling the WR G2s in the summer (and make my WR G2s last longer).:confused::)

Retail price has little to do with OEM price. I am sure RE92 is the cheapest high speed rated tire SOA could get.

I drove WR and RE92 in summer and there is no question that WR are far superior. WR G2 should be even better.

Oh, well. Let's wait until you switch to RE92. Report back.

Why do you think the RE92s come stock? They are more expensive than most tires. My thought the rubber chemistry is optimized for warm weather (they lose elasticity in the cold), and they would outperform for handling the WR G2s in the summer (and make my WR G2s last longer).
The stock RE92A's are not very good in rain. They feel greasy as you approach the limits, then break away kind of abruptly.

If you're going with two sets of rims, I'd go for a summer tire April-October. I use the Goodyear F1 GS D3, superb in rain or dry (and hopeless in cold weather). If you're going with one set of rims, the WR series is the perfect New England tire. Like all all-seasons they scream at the limits, but stick well. Lose the RE92's on CL, eBay or here. We put them on a minivan for summer tires.....

Our strategy for the company cars is to buy new tires in late fall. That way they're new for the winter. We then get a second winter of use out of them, and usually wear them out the second summer. We replace everything at 5/32nds.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Thanks for the advice. I will probably drive the WR G2s through this summer and next winter and get summer tires, rims for next summer.

We get a lot of rain in June.

I have 7/32 on my RE92s; I don't know if they are worth much.

Archived