LegacyGT.com

New R&T Evo X vs STI Article

chenc544

Just saw these over at the Evo forum. Stock Evo X w/ 840 miles on Mustang dyno. The dash lines are stock IX and solid lines are X. Pretty interesting charts. The 4B11 stock boost peaks at ~24 psi and quickly tapers to ~11 psi! :eek: It's also running silly rich, AFR is ~9.5 at redline. This particular Evo X is actually making less power than the IX. I wonder if it needs to be broken in more.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/evo_tunes/evo10_012608/evo_10_vs9_power.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/evo_tunes/evo10_012608/evo_10_vs9_boostAFR.jpg

The STI's power potential should be able the same as current STI, same engine and all. The unknown is the 4B11 for the Evo. I know Mitsu UK is marketing the FQ-360 Evo X so I guess it's at least good for 360 crank hp with stock turbo and some bolt-ons. BTW, the FQ is only available with the 5MT, supposely the SST can't really handle much more power/torque than the stock rating. I'm hoping in couple of years the USDM Ralliart will come with a 5 or 6MT and in Sportback form.

The power potential is easy to figure out. (exhaust AVCS, bigger OEM fuel pump, better 07+ head design, will all be nice bonuses over my 05 LGT)

I am more concerned with how the chassis responds to some simple suspension mods.

I will also wait to see how people make out with more power on the SST.

• 2 weeks later...

The reviews come out just as with the previous models. The AYC of the EvoX is really the only thing keeping it in the lead over the STI this time.

Subaru, please put the technoogy of the Prodrive P2 into production. Take the $1000 hit to your already hefty profit on the STI, and stop coming in second place.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR96aWfpWN0]YouTube - Prodrive P2[/ame]

From reading the article and watching the video I wonder if the USDM STI has softer suspensions than their JDM counterpart.

From past experience, I'm guessing so. I wonder if improved suspension mods would make a difference for either. Subaru is going straight down teh $hitter :mad:

It's like watching your house burn down.... s l o w l y :(

It's like watching your house burn down.... s l o w l y :(

Well, I don't own any FHI or Subaru stock so I guess it's not my house. More like my favorite restaurant... I guess I would just have to try the restaurant next door. :lol:

Beauty is in the eye of the bEERholder.

Fixed that for ya. :)

Magazine reviews and order of finish in same are like the points in Who's Line is it Anyway.

Drive the car you like best. Simple as that. I'm sure the EVO Fanbois all have little boners because their car was liked best. I'm sure that's a big ego boost. But to folks that matter, from EITHER owner group, the reviews are what they are. Expressed Opinion.

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

I like the EVO because of it's auto - that's a sweet setup there. I was looking at interior dimensions from a numbers perspective and it looks a hair smaller than the Legacy, but the back seat and trunk suffer substantially. So, probably wouldn't work as a family car. Will just have to wait and see what the next gen Legacy looks like - in the mean time I love my 08 3.0R.

• 2 weeks later...

When to the Cleveland auto show yesterday and checked these 2 out.

I was really disappointed in the interior of the EVO for several reasons:

1. The plastics are cheap and hard throughout the car. There wasn't one panel that had a soft feel. Also, the rear seats were typical econo car fabric, and the whole interior is pretty much black (no contrasting colors, etc). These details really made the car feel "cheap", which is not acceptable IMO for a $33k + car. The comments from the others checking it out were all the same "I can find better ways to spend $38k (what the sticker was on the model they had there)", although they were probably clueless as to the performance of the car.

2. Cargo room is a complete joke. The battery and washer fluid resevoir are located in the trunk, making the space about 1/3 of what the Legacy sedan offers. Also, the rear seats don't fold down, AND there is not even a trunk pass-threw. I also thought the front interior was pretty tight and compact compared to the WRX.

Going into the show, I was pretty pumped to see the car. Guys like Buscher Racing are getting insane power increases with BPUs, so the engine tuning potential appears to be incredible on the stock turbo. I also liked the reviews on the dual-clutch auto, since the wife would be able to drive it if she had to (she refuses to learn a manual). I also think the front end looks great. Like I said, I'm disappointed, but I'd still like to test drive one.

The STI I liked much better overall, considering the cargo room is awesome compared any sedan. The interior is much better also, with some nice color contrasts on the dash and with the seat inserts, and good matching fabric on the rear seats as well. However, I was disappointed at all the hard plastics used in the interior (dash, doors, etc). I don't recall feeling any soft surfaces at all, whereas my '02 WRX dash is pretty much all soft-touch plastic. The new WRX/STI switch gear is a lot better than my '02 in contrast though. I just think a car that costs $35k should use a little better materials, but I understand that some cost cutting was necessary for the performance improvements (ie, suspension redesign). I also liked the look of rear 1/2 of the STI more than the EVO, as it seems more aggresive and unique with it's bulging fender flares and quad outlet exhaust tips (very nice look, IMO). After seeing both cars, I think the only advantages of the EVO are the auto-clutch transmission and the tunability of the engine/stock turbo. I'm sure the understeer of the STI can probably be resolved by simply bolting on a stiffer RSB.

Although this is off-topic, in case anyone cares, I was really impressed with the quality feel and room of the Legacy GT interior compared to these cars. In fact, it seemed as good as the new Accord (which is a little bigger inside) and the G35. There was also a 135i on display, but it was roped off to the public, so I can't comment much on the room or quality of the interior, but the exterior looked great- very M3'ish. I'll definately try to get a test drive in one of those before I buy my next car :cool: There was a Lancer Ralliart on display, which looked nice, but man, those front brakes were tiny!

Archived