LegacyGT.com

Satellite Radio questions

kienai

I went to Best Buy the other day looked at satellite radio for my car. I asked the rep a few questions but he wasn't much of a help, I guess he isn't very familiar with Subarus.

So does the Legacies come with the satellite receivers already? I went subaru.com and it says its compatible with both XM and Sirius, but didn't really offer anymore information then that. I was about to call the dealer ship and ask questions, but since I'm headed over there tomorrow for an oil change so I thought I'd just talk to them in person.

For those of you who have satellite radio, do you have XM or Sirius? Do you like it? Which one offers better programs?

I like Sirius more because of Howard stern. The programming is pretty comparable between the two but I might give a slight edge to XM for music. Another thing you have to consider is sports. Sirius has NFL and xm has MLB. As to the receiver question you will need to get that from Subaru and I'm not sure if the 08 legacy has the choice from both or just xm. I think I remember the 07 only having the option of getting xm and not Sirius but you may be able to get Sirius in the 08.

Unless you're absolutely dying to get a satellite radio in your car right away, I'd suggest waiting until the ongoing merger discussions between XM and Sirius are concluded. The FCC was supposed to make their decision last month, but they've been dragging their feet. If the merger is approved, any radio you buy now will probably be obsolete within a year. So I'd recommend that you don't invest alot into it right now. I'd really like to buy a new XM (I've got 4 different receivers), but I'm waiting to find out what happens with the merger.

Thanks guys good info.

mevanvt: I was leaning towards Sirius because of Howard Stern radio, but I didn't know if it was worth it to just go with Sirius for one guy. I'm not a huge fan of baseball. If there is more music on Sirus, I think I might go with that.

gary_gnu: I also heard about the merge, I asked Best Buy guy what will happen if I subscribed now, but they merge in the next few months, he just told me he had no idea. What a helpful guy huh? Well, when XM and Sirius do merge, what's going to happen? Shouldn't all the users get updated? I drive quite a bit, and I'm kind of sick listening to the local radio stations with one hour long playlists. I don't think I can last too much longer.

Legacies do not come with satellite receivers built in by default. You have to install the Subaru XM or Sirius kit first. After that, you can control all the satellite radio functions through your stock headunit. Your dealer should be able to give you more info. If you're comfortable taking apart the center stack of your car to get to the back of the headunit, it's cheaper to buy either kit online and install it yourself rather than have the dealer order it and install it for you.

No one really knows what will happen if they merge. The CEO's are saying that the consumers won't get screwed, but all indications are that we'll all have to upgrade (at our cost) to new hybrid units that can receive both services or something like that.

That's why I just use semi-portable units like the XM Skyfi, Roady, Xpress, etc. I got them for about $20 each on ebay, so I won't lose too much money if I have to buy new hardware next year. I also pay my subscriptions every 3 months, rather than sign a 1-year or 2-year agreement, cause they may or may not refund your money if they merge or go bankrupt.

No one really knows what will happen if they merge. The CEO's are saying that the consumers won't get screwed, but all indications are that we'll all have to upgrade (at our cost) to new hybrid units that can receive both services or something like that.

I think the consumers will get screwed in an additional way unrelated to hardware, if the merger goes through... with no further competition between Sirius and XM, I envision little more incentive for satellite radio to expand their programming, and nothing to prevent them from adding commercial breaks to all their stations. It will end up being like cable TV--you have to pay a premium to get the channels, but you still have all the commericals you get on broadcast TV. The company gets rich, and the listeners get screwed.

I really hope that merger doesn't go through. :icon_neut

Lothar: I think your reasoning is why it is taking the FCC so long to decide.

As for having to upgrade... that would be nonsense on the behalf of XM and Sirius. They would surely lose more customers that are using built in units and are would rather lose the service than upgrade. Also I would think the FCC would have enough sense to work some type of a SLOOOOOW phase out if they do require the upgrade.

gary_gnu: I think that is a misunderstanding of what XM and Sirius intend on doing. I understand from the letter I received (along with all other XM and Sirius users) a year ago, that they will be able to add more features and channels with the extra satellite. In order to get the new services it will require a new tuner, however you will still be able to receive your original channels with either tuner. This gives them the ability to keep current listeners, and still attract new and encourage people to upgrade their tuners.

As for the XM/Sirius which is better? XM has College Football and the Playboy Channel :)

Serisouly though I've only had XM, had it for 4 years now and still love it. I have used Sirius. It seems to be XM's programming and channel lineup are more intuitive (i.e. 5-9 are 50's - 90's, 20's are "pop", and so on, each set of 10 channels is a genre of music), whereas Sirius uses a different logic. I would suggest you research the channels on line and see what premium channels, if any, you will actually listen to.

As for the tuner.... '08 is XM and Sirius ready, but you do need to buy Subaru's tuner. I went to the WTB board on here and listed it up. Got someone who got a car with it preinstalled and never used it to rip it out and sell it to me WAAAAAAY under subies price.

Best of Luck!!

I was at the dealership today, so it costs $420 parts and labor to get a receiver in. This really makes me wonder about the details of the merge, I just can't see XM and Sirius making their exsisting customers pay for their own upgrades. That would be ridiculous. I think I'm gonna post a WTB ad, if the install is not too hard. Any links? Vr4Legacy.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/downloadFree.jsp?doc_id=190303

There ya go.... it is probably the EASIEST install I've done on a Subaru. All of the prewiring is there. All you is put a couple of screws in and adhere the antenna to the windshield.

Just be ready for the antenna, it's about 3 inches square.... I was not expecting that. I don't really notice it, as it's in the upper right corner of the windshield. I would also suggest getting BLACK double sided tape to readhere the antenna with if you buy it used. I wasn't thinking and used white tape, now if you look close you can see the white lines from the tape from the outside :eek: it's hard but they're there.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.

edit: You have to scroll to the bottom of the instructions to see Legacy instructions. Also if ou have a MT, to remove the trim around the shifter, just grab the porton closest to the SI drive and give a good tug, it just pops right off.

I went to Best Buy the other day looked at satellite radio for my car. I asked the rep a few questions but he wasn't much of a help, I guess he isn't very familiar with Subarus.

So does the Legacies come with the satellite receivers already? I went subaru.com and it says its compatible with both XM and Sirius, but didn't really offer anymore information then that. I was about to call the dealer ship and ask questions, but since I'm headed over there tomorrow for an oil change so I thought I'd just talk to them in person.

For those of you who have satellite radio, do you have XM or Sirius? Do you like it? Which one offers better programs?

If you care about aftermarket reciever here are the pics of Stiletto. I bought unit + docking station on sale in Circuit City for $175. There are 2 versions of Stiletto, you can get cheaper one because the only difference in the is the storage space according to sales rep. It took me about 2 hours to install it. If you can not do it yourself Cuircuit City will charge you around $60 for installation if you chose to have it hardwired.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/fbaf9d6f3b.jpg

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c8d71994de.jpg

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/2a1e7fb8d4.jpg

- Sirius has Playboy too

- Sirius has NPR

- XM has the NHL

I personally have the factory-installed Sirius tuner. It was not installed when I agreed to purchase the car, but I made sure that they installed it, free of charge. (I know that doesn't help you in this situation...) The Legacy's don't come with either tuner from the factory. I believe that XM is the preferred satellite provider, but Sirius is available.

The absense of the scroll function is a real pain...not enough to make me end my subscription, but a definite drawback compared to the portable units.

I'm not familiar with XM, but I have no complaints with Sirius programming. I'm not a Stern fan, but I can *always* find something to listen to in the 160 +/-channels they offer.

The only thing I'm disapointed with is the antenna placement of the satellite tuner. It's this big, ugly, black box attached to the inside of the windshield. I've found this position to not be the best for reception - if I get too close to a cellular tower, it cuts out. If I go up or down a really steep hill (Pittsburgh has *plenty* of them!), the angle of the antenna is such that it will lose reception. On long highway trips though, I have no problems.

As far as the merger goes, I think both providers would shoot themselves in the foot if they required everyone to buy a new receiver. I've heard rumors that, if the approval goes through, they will offer ala-carte programming for less than the current prices...not all packages will be less, but the cheapest will be much less. Also, the FCC is dragging their feet. I think they're trying to get both companies to go tit's-up before the decision is made. Also, as it currently stands, both companies are bleeding money, so if they don't merge, it's lights out...

Hope this helps --

Zim

As far as the merger goes, I think both providers would shoot themselves in the foot if they required everyone to buy a new receiver. I've heard rumors that, if the approval goes through, they will offer ala-carte programming for less than the current prices...not all packages will be less, but the cheapest will be much less.

If you search for it, the details were released in July with pricing structures and plans. They had to submit it FCC as part of the merger plan. Nothing about having to abandon current equipment.

• 3 weeks later...
-

The only thing I'm disapointed with is the antenna placement of the satellite tuner. It's this big, ugly, black box attached to the inside of the windshield. I've found this position to not be the best for reception - if I get too close to a cellular tower, it cuts out. If I go up or down a really steep hill (Pittsburgh has *plenty* of them!), the angle of the antenna is such that it will lose reception. On long highway trips though, I have no problems.

Do you have any pics?

I did the research and figured that Sirius radio is the best for my tastes and needs. The best way to determine what is right for you is to sign up for their 3 day trials and listen to their channels streaming via the internet. Decide from there.

Another big reason I wanted Sirius was for the Sportster 5 unit, which has the wonderful ability to cameleon it's colors and buttons into any cars interior. It has something like 16 different combinations of keypad and LCD color schemes. It also happens to fit PERFECTLY into the cubby hole once the door is removed. It fits so snug with the rubber mat under it that I didn't need to do anything further to anchor it. It was only $150 with a free $50 gift card toward Sirius subscriptions so I got a few months free vs Subaru who wanted over $400 for a unit that can't even scroll the damn song names. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking?

As for the antenna, it's completely invisible as I've taken the advice from various threads here and put the small supplied antenna under the rear brake light cover. Just routed the wire under the side sills and up the backseat into the brake light.

The entire project from taking out the cubby and radio, dismantling the cubby to remove the door, to hiding all the wiring etc etc probably took 2 hours.

Anyways, I haven't had the opportunity to form a piece of black plastic to go behind the unit to clean up the look. It's on my to-do list...

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a413161bb0.jpg

It looks fantastic at night, all the buttons have a red backlight so it blends into the dash perfectly.

As for the antenna, it's completely invisible as I've taken the advice from various threads here and put the small supplied antenna under the rear brake light cover. Just routed the wire under the side sills and up the backseat into the brake light.

Love the third brake light idea!

• 3 weeks later...
I did the research and figured that Sirius radio is the best for my tastes and needs. The best way to determine what is right for you is to sign up for their 3 day trials and listen to their channels streaming via the internet. Decide from there.

Another big reason I wanted Sirius was for the Sportster 5 unit, which has the wonderful ability to cameleon it's colors and buttons into any cars interior. It has something like 16 different combinations of keypad and LCD color schemes. It also happens to fit PERFECTLY into the cubby hole once the door is removed. It fits so snug with the rubber mat under it that I didn't need to do anything further to anchor it. It was only $150 with a free $50 gift card toward Sirius subscriptions so I got a few months free vs Subaru who wanted over $400 for a unit that can't even scroll the damn song names. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking?

The entire project from taking out the cubby and radio, dismantling the cubby to remove the door, to hiding all the wiring etc etc probably took 2 hours.

Anyways, I haven't had the opportunity to form a piece of black plastic to go behind the unit to clean up the look. It's on my to-do list...

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a413161bb0.jpg

It looks fantastic at night, all the buttons have a red backlight so it blends into the dash perfectly.

Czar, thanks for posting pics. I just bought the sportster 5 myself and was wondering where to mount it. You just answered my question! Thanks! Looks great!

By the way, I did purchase some black plastic to go behind the unit. Here's were I got it: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-940

And, you have a PM about the 3rd brake light antenna install.

• 3 months later...

So...is anyone using the "direct to FM cables" that Serius sells or is this the same thing http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oJtzypmI8Q0/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=12040SB30&tp=3351

Do the direct to FM cables offer the best reception because it utilizes the car antenna and if so do you not use the included Serius antenna if you go that route ??

Seems like most threads discuss guys just using the included antenna.

Dazzen --

If you have a 2005 and up Legacy ~

The direct-to-FM cables that Sirius sell are one part of the puzzle. You will also need the 'adapter' that Crutchfield sells (you can get this adapter elsewhere, by the way). The 'adapter' is needed because the FM antenna connection on the back of the headunit is not the standard "round" FM antenna connection.

So, you will need both pieces.

Keep in mind that the direct-to-FM adapter only connects the Sirius unit to the car stereo and does not receive the signal from the satellite. You will still need the Sirius Satellite provided antenna mounted somewhere visible to the sky.

Hope this helps!

Zim

Those are exactly what I have (from Crutchfield), but I also bought the Scosche FM Modulator (not expensive at all btw). This allows me to plug in my iPod too (as well as the Sirius) without having to use a crappy FM Transmitter - and let me tell you the reception for my iPod is 99% better than with the FM Transmitter junk. And if I can stop blowing up Sirius units (2 failed so far :mad:), I'll get to enjoy BBC Radio 1 again too!

Oh and since the Scosche has a power switch that I just didn't know where to mount, I had my 'guys' turn the cigarette lighter into an on/off switch instead - way cool :cool:...or is that why I keep frying the Sportser 3's:confused:

So...is anyone using the "direct to FM cables" that Serius sells or is this the same thing http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oJtzypmI8Q0/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=12040SB30&tp=3351

Subie6.thumb.jpg.510a46ed261a1002fdc40c6ca4fef109.jpg

Archived