LegacyGT.com

Snow and chains

I think using the correct tire for the conditions will avoid the need for chains. for those in California, what tires are you using?

I'm using Continental Extreme Contacts DWS. So far I've taken them to Mammoth during a storm and didn't have a need to chain up.

I think using the correct tire for the conditions will avoid the need for chains. for those in California, what tires are you using?

I'm using Continental Extreme Contacts DWS. So far I've taken them to Mammoth during a storm and didn't have a need to chain up.

After much research, and you all helped with that - thank you, I chose to use Kuhmo Ecsta LX Platinums - Balance between price/performance

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+LX+Platinum

on my OBxt. M&S, longer wear. It was a negotiation with my wife. I wanted performance, she wanted long life. I asked my racing friend what he thought, he also recommended the Kuhmo's.

I will forever buy Subarus from this point on. My wife is sold on them after last night. We had chains on, per CHP requirement, and were one of the handful of vehicles that could ascend an icy road. Trucks and other SUVs with 4WD and chains could not make it. The Legacy didn't even flinch. Incredible.

I have run into 4wd + chain requirements ONCE in a total blizzard trying to make it from Nevada -> California along the highway that goes along the north side of lake tahoe. They turned me around for not having chains. When I went to try and buy some they wanted $300 for chains for the 31" tires on my F150. I went down into reno and up 80 instead. Made me mad but oh well. That's one time in 20+ years of living 1 hours outside of Tahoe.

The distinction is that you're supposed to carry chains under an R2 chain control (4WD w/ M+S rated tires) even if you are 4WD/AWD. A CHP officer almost turned me around last Friday on Highway 88 for not having uninstalled chains with me, but it was still only an R2 chain control. I asked him if he'd ever seen an R3-level chain control (chains required on all vehicles) and he admitted that he hadn't in his many years doing chain checks. Caltrans/CHP will typically close the road before instituting R3 chain control.

The road that I was on should've been closed down due to the danger. I posted updates on our travels on Facebook and all of my friends couldn't believe we made it up the mountain. The epic snow was definitely worth the hassle on the journey, and I couldn't have made it without my Subie.

The road that I was on should've been closed down due to the danger. I posted updates on our travels on Facebook and all of my friends couldn't believe we made it up the mountain. The epic snow was definitely worth the hassle on the journey, and I couldn't have made it without my Subie.

Was the road on the way to bear mtn?

After having just installed snow tires on the OB I'm really wondering what type of weather would be required in Tahoe for the car to be unsafe to drive. It's fricking unbelievable how much grip you have with new snow tires.

I feel like I'm cheating when I drive in the snow now.

Was the road on the way to bear mtn?

The 2 front ways to Bear were closed this past weekend. I ended up going through Lucerne. It was super icy and there were at least 3 climbs which multiple vehicles had to end up bailing out. I was sad for them, but happy that I had my Subie.

I have to admit that after growing up in NorCal I really had no idea where San Bernardino even was until I flew down there to get my spec.B the day before new years. I only wore a sweatshirt b/c I thought I was going to LA. It was freaking cold and I was VERY suprised to see a ski resort as we started our decent. I was just glad that it didn't snow that night on the grapevine as the dealer told me they usually close it rather than let 4x4 through? That's lame....

Did you get your subie at subie of San Bernardino?

After having just installed snow tires on the OB I'm really wondering what type of weather would be required in Tahoe for the car to be unsafe to drive. It's fricking unbelievable how much grip you have with new snow tires.

That's because most people are only running M + S rated tires, not real snow tires, w/ AWD or 4WD to get past R2 chain controls. From the Caltrans website:

The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm

Was up at Mammoth last weekend, at 2am in the morning just off the 395,temp was 7F....I was very happy that the CHP gave just a brief glance ("that's a subie") and waved me through, while forcing all the 2WD's vehicles to 'chain up'.... that did not look like fun...

Oh yeah, if you really,really want to carry chains, you can buy a set at Napa, they will have the packaging zip-tied shut. As long as you don't use them you can return them for a $15 re-stocking fee.

Wow I remember having the HP checking for chains, but since I have moved to the north east were it is always snowing I am yet to see anywhere where chains are required. However almost everyone I know including myself have a set of designated snows so not too worried, because if I NEED chains then I ain't driving and I am yet to have that happen. i <3 driving by SUVs and trucks spinning out ;).

Archived