LegacyGT.com

Buying a 05+ GT, manual or auto?

Just pointing out the differences between the MT and AT, never said it was better or worse.

neither did I.

heheheh...dunno why subaru put us at 45/55.

i actually should have said the 5eat center diff. puts us at 45/55. i had assumed that it was a given that the auto and manual received 2 different center diffs which is why i didn't clarify.

Since I do alot of highway cruising it is good for my usage. Like I said above I'm not a speed demon, but I like to be put back in my seat when i need to. Or above all, not let some ricer show me up. :)

I know the basics of buying a car, cheaper isn't always better, its a simple concept. I do alot of research before deciding on a car, and will definitely check this one out thoroughly before considering buying it.

i personally would say the auto is a hair quicker than the newest civic si. the torque is downright crazy in the gt. and it will push you into the seat easily. it has easy speed. easy cruising at "high" speeds. can corner decently with 2 fingers yet the steering never feels light nor heavy.

I'd recommend a slight power upgrade because 3rd gear is pretty long (my opinion).

I plan on getting the AP fairly quickly after buying it, and maybe some small upgrades after that but nothing big. Feeling what I did in that auto I drove, I'd say the "grin" factor is there enough for me if I do go with the AT over the MT, not to worry about it.

I don't think you'll get a non-biased opinion on this board. There are just as many die hard AT and MT fans so they will both argue both points to you.

Myself I LOVE my MT, BUT if I had to sit in 45 mins of rush hour traffic a day my mind would change quickly (I'd probably actually buy a beater for the mpg ;))

It seems like you have your mind made up. Try to drive both, think about what your daily driving will be like (especially if this is your DD) and go for it.

I really kinda wonder about your MT driving technique, folks. Boston stop & go traffic here and no issues with MT. If anything, lack of engine braking and constant right foot work on AT would have be more tiresome.

:confused:

I really kinda wonder about your MT driving technique, folks. Boston stop & go traffic here and no issues with MT. If anything, lack of engine braking and constant right foot work on AT would have be more tiresome.

:confused:

Agreed. Sacramento traffic is not as bad as Boston, but I've never found it to be tiresome with a MT. The lack of engine braking in ATs also drives me nuts, especially since I drive a lot in the Sierras. IMO, a MT is much easier to drive in the mountains because you're not always on the brakes on descents.

I overheated the clutch once while creeping along waiting to cross the GW bridge. Man, that sucked. :mad:

I have been driving over 30 years and have had quite a number of MT cars. NEVER did I overheat a clutch until the LGT.

No doubt I can probably improve my technique. I am not Petter Solberg! But I am not an MT noob either. :)

I think it is the 1 mph creeping that can be the real problem, not so much 'stop and go'.

^^ agreed.

I am no noob to a manual, learned to drive on an old Chevy truck, I was 13 and had to push with all my might to get the damn pedal down :lol:

I haven't driven in a ton of stop and go traffic, and I think I agree with scoopman, it's not that I have trouble with the transmisson, It's just annoying and tiresome.

I had a rental auto for a couple of weeks and had to take it to Charlotte (I am not even saying they have BAD traffic) and compared to my MT it was nice to have. I would trade for it, but if I had to sit through traffic for 2 hours a day.... I would consider it.

^^ agreed.

I am no noob to a manual, learned to drive on an old Chevy truck, I was 13 and had to push with all my might to get the damn pedal down :lol:

I haven't driven in a ton of stop and go traffic, and I think I agree with scoopman, it's not that I have trouble with the transmisson, It's just annoying and tiresome.

I had a rental auto for a couple of weeks and had to take it to Charlotte (I am not even saying they have BAD traffic) and compared to my MT it was nice to have. I would trade for it, but if I had to sit through traffic for 2 hours a day.... I would consider it.

That's what I learned on also, good ole '77 Chevy.

Since the traffic here in Idaho can't be called heavy even on a bad day, I will definitely look for a MT to at least test drive.

This is kinda off-topic, but how is the Subie's warranty system? Are they transferrable?

Well i have a warranty and i bought it 3 years old too so i think they are lol.

I moved from nw florida about 2 weeks ago, long drive but we got here! We are loving it. I havent driven the 5eat but it would have to pretty darn good to compete with the 5 speed m/t. If you spend alot of time on backroads and interstates i would recomend the m/t. I love going past the kids with the civics and the sport exhaust dropping it down a gear or 2 and leaving em for dead. Just dont do it in this weather lol!

Good, I hope if this one in Spokane turns out I should have a pretty good warranty ahead of me.

Wow, Florida to Montana, gotta be a bit of a shocker. Liking the cold and snow? Then again the snow in Kalispel isn't that bad, its very beautiful there though, much like CDA being close to a huge lake and all.

Archived