LegacyGT.com

Why!!!

Well,

I visited the Shell gas station on Wednesday, 12/22/04 (you know the ones with an automatic car wash). I thought what the heck, the car has some salt on it so why not get it cleaned.

Filled up with 93 Octane and started going through the car wash. Get out of the car wash and drive home, the car is cleaner and so I am relatively happy.

Move forward to Friday. I notice a couple of scratches (6 covering about 6 inches) on the hood (don't have the clearbra installed yet, but minor point if you read the rest of the story). I continue following the scratches and notice that they go the entire length of the car from hood to trunk including the spoiler. It is a perfect 6 inch strip that could only have been done by one of those car wash things (like it had ice or dirt on it).

I bought this car on 11/22 and now I have a 6inch strip of scratches along the whole thing.

My dad recommended pursuing it because that they should cover it since it is such a big scratch. He also mentioned talking to my lawyer and seeing what he says.

I wanted to get your ideas on it.

Well, it's a week later so the rock or whatever was there that caused your problem may be gone but I'd got to the place and complain about it. If they deny it then recommend the owner taking his car through. I'd follow it legal but it may be tough to prove.

I backed out and hit my garage door a couple weeks ago and scratched the hell out of my roof. Let me know what the lawyers says I may sue myself for repairs. :D For real that sucks I would go back and measure the car wash dryers or whatever to see how wide they were and if they match I would notify someone at the car wash of the damage and start there. Do you have a reciept...that would help.

I went through one last week....i was extremely dissappointed. All the salt and dirt stayed right on the car. It was very loose, but needed a sponge or something to wipe it off. I have come to the conclusion that with all the salt and sand, i won't have a clean car untill spring....unfortunetly

On a side not, I have never had a car with a scoop in it, is it normal for steam to be pouring out of the hood after a wash on a cold day...i stopped for a minute after and i started laughing, it looked like my engine was on fire with the amount of steam coming out...

I always wash the car by hand...if POSSIBLE. Its completely different if you can't do that. What are we supposed to do in cold climates? Its better to go through a touchless wash to get the salt and grime off than just let it sit for 4 months. Its not like we can hook up a hose and wash it outside.

Don't get me wrong though, i will only use the touchless washed, none of that machine brushing stuff, but there really is no other choice sometimes. I am not going to take it to a detailing place, pay over-inflated prices, then drive it for two days and its dirty again, thats a complete waste of money. I am not looking nor expecting it to be extremely clean, but just want to get rid of the salt. Besides, when it is snowing every week, with salt and sand, i couldn't afford a detail every time. I would rather save my money and get a good one once spring / summer comes. Otherwise our options are limited.

if you value you car's paint job... never use an automatic wash that touches your car.

In a pinch (or cold weather) i use the $5 touchless place that does the underbody too...

Nice cheap way to get the salt off.

I only use it as a stop gap until i hand wash.. and I still do mirrors / glass by hand regardless

The problem is with these auto car washes is that if you look carefully, on most washers have a disclaimer that the user is solely responsibly for any damage that may occur when using this product. I see those signs all over colorado due to the high amount of rock and gravel from snow season stuff to those nasty washers that make contact. You should check is the one you went to has that sign, if it does then tough luck but if it doesn't then $$$!

this is why i clean the car myself. keep going to the car wash and you'll start seeing the swirls.

soft cloth my ass!

I took my car to Octopus car wash a few times, then the light hit the paint just right and I noticed the swirl marks! My car was swirl free before that so now either I wash the car or take it to a touchless wash when it's cold. I'll get the swirls out in the spring with a good wash, clay, polish, wax...

You're screwed. The general rule is that it's never a good idea to go through one of these brush-type car washes. If it's not touchless, don't use it! i think you just learned the hard way!

Craig

--

Well,

I visited the Shell gas station on Wednesday, 12/22/04 (you know the ones with an automatic car wash). I thought what the heck, the car has some salt on it so why not get it cleaned.

Filled up with 93 Octane and started going through the car wash. Get out of the car wash and drive home, the car is cleaner and so I am relatively happy.

Move forward to Friday. I notice a couple of scratches (6 covering about 6 inches) on the hood (don't have the clearbra installed yet, but minor point if you read the rest of the story). I continue following the scratches and notice that they go the entire length of the car from hood to trunk including the spoiler. It is a perfect 6 inch strip that could only have been done by one of those car wash things (like it had ice or dirt on it).

I bought this car on 11/22 and now I have a 6inch strip of scratches along the whole thing.

My dad recommended pursuing it because that they should cover it since it is such a big scratch. He also mentioned talking to my lawyer and seeing what he says.

I wanted to get your ideas on it.

I understand the disclaimer and don't mind swirl marks but permanent damage means that something is wrong with the machine.

I don't mind swirl marks because I get my car professionally detailed 2x a year and that takes care of those.

But this is a whole different beast. I wouldn't mind small scratches but when their is a 6-12in. "racing stripe" from hood to trunk, that falls under different pretenses and that sign should not cover such a thing.

I won't know until I find out although I doubt I will get anywhere but I will bring them to small claims court if they don't do anything.

I did get a quote for the work from a reputable body shop and they quoted me $1500.

On a side note: if I do end up getting it basically repainted, I am going to ask them to fill in the back Subaru symbol since I have already removed the other badges and I would have a smooth trunk which would look sweet.

Well that sucks... But I don't think you will have much luck with your claim against the car wash place. You would probably have to establish that the car wash place knew there was a problem with the machine and failed to take any action to fix it. Maybe they'll step up from a "good business" perspective and make things right, but chances are that the business owner would rather have one pissed off customer that spends $15 per year at his/her business than paying $1500 to make that pissed off customer happy.

BTW, for all of you in colder climates who don't want to take your chances with the automatic car washes (even touchless can hurt your paint), you could try Protect All's Quick & Easy Wash. It is a waterless car wash system that you just spray-on and wipe off. Takes more time than an automatic wash, but is almost as safe as a hand wash.

In a pinch (or cold weather) i use the $5 touchless place that does the underbody too...

Nice cheap way to get the salt off.

Where is the touchless wash that you use? I can't seem to find any touchless places on the Main Line near Wayne, and the only coin-op/self-service place I've found anywhere near me is way out in Malvern.

Archived