LegacyGT.com

Project GPS

arnox

I've just purchased a Magellan RoadMate 300. The styling goes great with the Legacy interior, and it appears that the unit might fit into the cubbyhole - if I take the door off.

I’d like to attempt a semi-permanent installation and I need some help. Can anybody tell/show me how to:

1. safely remove the cubbyhole/vents part from the console?

2. connect the power - which wires?

3. where to put the external antenna? I’m thinking the sunroof wind deflector might be a cool place for it. The wire could go through the rubber seal, roof lining, then the A pillar and into the gps. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'll try explaining as much as I can.

1. I dont know.

2. I dont know.

3. I dont know. But I think that is the best place if you dont want to make holes.

I really like the project, do you have pics of the GPS? Can I ask where'd you buy it from?

Thanks.

Well, I was hoping for a little more help... :-)

For pictures of the unit: http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=1038

I got mine at http://www.gps-value.com (excellent service and price + free overnight shipping - the guy overnighted it for me way past their deadline, so that I could have it for Christmas).

I also got a 1GB ATP 60x SD Card and it works great with the unit (there are compatibility problems with some cards and I was happy to learn that this wasn't one of them). I was able to fit east and west cost, plus IL, TX and FL into around 650Mb. The GPS limit per region is 240Mb, but you can have as many as you can fit on a card.

1. Pull it out - it's that simple.

2. If you don't have a multimeter than don't even start :lol: (there is power and ground in the harness to the trip computer and of course to the radio that is in he same neighborhood.

3. Got me, though I would try to mount it inside the car and see if it would work before I tried to mount it outside.

Not looking to hijack the thread, but did you look at the Garmin Street Pilot when you were shopping it around? What made you choose the Magellan?

I did consider the Garmin units (26xx and Quest), and here are the reasons I went with the RM 300:

1. Uses non-proprietary memory (SD)

2. has touch-screen

3. higher screen resolution

4. 14 channel receiver - 12 satellite + 2 channels dedicated to WAAS

5. similar to Hertz NeverLost (I use it all the time when traveling on business - it works well)

6. Garmins are bigger

7. Garmins' ergonomics and design didn't appeal to me (those little buttons)

8. Garmin has excellent general aviation units. The discrepancy in quality between their air and ground units made me think that they don’t really care as much about the ground segment.

I would’ve liked dead-reckoning, but it wasn’t essential (both Garmin and RoadMate high-end units have that).

I've also considered NavMan and TomTom (no external antenna).

can I ask how'd you take this peice out? also, did you get to look at the yellow led? if so, could it be replaced easily??

for instructions on how to pull the unit out, check rao's reply #4 (just pull it out)

i didn't get into the trip computer, but you can get to it, and probably put something over that led so it's not that bright.

Arnox....please do a write-up on the whole thing when you are done, including the wiring. I would like to do that myself but don't have the know-how. Also can you make a paper template for the face plate you will be making? TIA.

will do + pictures!

I did consider the Garmin units (26xx and Quest), and here are the reasons I went with the RM 300:

1. Uses non-proprietary memory (SD)

2. has touch-screen

3. higher screen resolution

4. 14 channel receiver - 12 satellite + 2 channels dedicated to WAAS

5. similar to Hertz NeverLost (I use it all the time when traveling on business - it works well)

6. Garmins are bigger

7. Garmins' ergonomics and design didn't appeal to me (those little buttons)

8. Garmin has excellent general aviation units. The discrepancy in quality between their air and ground units made me think that they don’t really care as much about the ground segment.

I would’ve liked dead-reckoning, but it wasn’t essential (both Garmin and RoadMate high-end units have that).

I've also considered NavMan and TomTom (no external antenna).

Not to continue a hijacking, but a couple of corrections-

(I have the Garmin 2610)

1. The Garmin uses compact flash cards (non-proprietary)

2. It has a touch screen (and a remote- very useful)

3. Screen resolution is quite good (not sure of the resolution of the Magellan)

4. The Garmin is WAAS enabled (accurate to approximately 3 ft)

5. No Comment

6. I wish my unit were bigger (with a bigger screen)

7. There are only 4 big buttons on the front- very simple to use.

8. Garmin's road units have actually been very well rated. I find mine very useful. Just spent a week driving around a few Lexus' with nav units- other than the screen size I wouldn't say the Lexus nav is functionally any better.

I'm not knocking the Magellan units. I'm sure they do fine- it's nice the unit fits in the cubby (unlike the Garmin or the bigger Magellan units). Just remember it gets a little warm in there and the GPS might need some ventillation on hot days. ;)

Good luck on the install. Hope it goes well.

tom

tom :)

Archived