LegacyGT.com

AWD confusion???

• 1 month later...
Just some feedback from personal experience. I gave up my '05XT 5MT in early Jan; lease expired. They loaned my an '07 base 4AT. Man, this thing blows away my XT in the snow. I don't mean due to the power difference either. I'm talking bends and corners in the snow where I'm either doing only5 mph at slight throttle or on the highway crossing lanes in the snow with very slight throttle. My 5MT never felt this stable or tracked as well in the snow. I'm leaning heavily on an auto now. If they could just get me the damn color I want; been waiting since 2nd week of December for Quartz Silver Metallic and no sign of one showing up anytime soon. They want me to take a look at Diamond Gray Metallic.....

Can't comment on the different AWD systems, I was under the impression that the one that comes on the automatic XT and L.L. Bean was the most sophisticated. Could it be that the newer tires on the loaner were better than what you have on your daily driver?

If they could just get me the damn color I want; been waiting since 2nd week of December for Quartz Silver Metallic and no sign of one showing up anytime soon. They want me to take a look at Diamond Gray Metallic...

That makes no sense. I ordered my Quartz Silver XT 5-speed on 12/21/07. It arrived at my NH dealer this morning. I just went to go see it and wrap up the paperwork, I pick it up tomorrow - 2 months to the day after ordering.

The kicker is that in the same shipment as my ordered car, they received 2 more Quarts Silver XTs, one manual and one automatic. I know there are several more XTs of all colors available here in New England.

I think it's the same lovely RE92s! It's not the stopping that's different, it's the 'cruising' through snow and slush. Power shouldn't make a diffence because at 5-10mph at tip in throttle there is barely any noticeable acceleration. The dealer did say that the 05XT MT has 50/50 bias and that the AT has 70/30 bias.....Maybe that makes all the difference...?? Regarding the cars in New Hampshire, he told me today that NH/NE has an entirely different distributorship than NY/NJ and that they don't share cars from SOA.

The dealer did say that the 05XT MT has 50/50 bias and that the AT has 70/30 bias.....Maybe that makes all the difference...??

Isn't the 4AT a 90/10 split :confused:

But yeah, I'd imagine that could make a difference for sure. The 50/50 bias seems to be, up... a little more biased to the rear. No problems bringing the rear end around. Weight difference front to back and all I'm sure.

Regarding the cars in New Hampshire, he told me today that NH/NE has an entirely different distributorship than NY/NJ and that they don't share cars from SOA.

That is correct, but there's nothing stopping you from coming to any of the New England states and purchasing a vehicle. I know that my dealer sells cars all over the country and Canada. Seems silly to keep waiting with no end date in sight when the car you want is sitting on a dealer lot just a 3 or 4 hour drive away.

Actually....he did say 90/10!! I would normally prefer rear bias except in the snow changing lanes and such.

As far as buying in NE, I would have seriously considered it if I knew about this two months ago. Dealer spoke to me today and they got another customer's Quartz Silver in yesterday who didn't want it. I'm going to see/drive it tomorrow and make a decision.

I had and '03 MT and now and '06 AT, with weather we got in NJ the last couple of weeks, I have finally been able to compare the two AWD systems and in my opinion the AT with the electronically controlled AWD (90/10 split) feels more stable than the 50/50 split of the MT. Not that the MT was a problem mind you, but if asked I would rate the AT AWD system over the MT.

The 90/10 front/rear split can be changed. Instead of starting off in Drive, use the manumatic thing to start off in 1st gear...doing so changes the torque split to 50/50, then it goes back to 90/10 when you upshift.

Or at least that's what I'm told by people who have the automatic. I never bothered to look it up anywhere because I have the manual transmission.

And as far as the automatic feeling more stable than the manual in low-traction & low speed turn situations, that makes perfect sense. With a 90/10 torque split, the automatic car is almost entirely front-wheel drive, which means the rear wheels really have no choice but to follow along since they are not getting enough torque for them to spin on their own. With the manual, all the wheels are getting about the same amount of torque, meaning that it is more possible (is that a phrase?) for the rear tires to break traction in a turn. My 5MT handles low-speed turns in a very similar fashion as a 4WD truck I used to have when I locked the transfer case...generally very neutral, but I could kick out the rear end a bit if I hit the gas hard at low speeds with the steering wheel turned hard one direction. But for pulling away from a dead stop when traction is low, I like the 50/50 split...the front wheels are less likely to spin since they get less torque, so it pulls away from a dead stop very nicely. My previous vehicle (07 Honda Element) was front-wheel drive until the fronts started to spin, and only then would the rears get torque. I used to notice that when pulling away from a dead stop on snow in the Honda that the fronts would spin (usually allowing the vehicle to slip sideways a bit as well), and then the rears would kick in and push me forward...effective, but a little disconcerting when the front end would slip sideways due to wheelspin.

And tires definitely play into it. I just replaced the stock Potenzas with Michelin HydroEdge tires. The Potenzas were downright scary on snow, ice, and slush, and didn't feel all that great on wet pavement either. With better tires, the tendency for the rear end to step out in low-speed turns on snow is greatly reduced, the OB stops a HECK of a lot better on snow and ABS intervenes FAR less, they feel a lot more secure on wet pavement, and the dry-road handling is better as well. Just replacing the stock Potenzas made it possible for me to drive much more normally when there's snow on the road, and have a much larger margin of safety as far as traction is concerned.

Actually, I was informed today that 90/10 is the maximum split or bias if needed by the conditions. That's not what the bias is under normal conditions. My new 5EAT XT is 45/55(Dealer said 40/50...mistake??) but can shift to 90/10 if/when needed.

Thats correct for the XT but all the 2.5i's are 90/10 bias and continuously change depending on conditions, acceleration, etc.

Archived