LegacyGT.com

HELP INSTALL Shifter Bushings cobb STS short throw white grease ???

I have kind of a silly quesiton.

I was researching the install procedure for the Cobb Shifter busings or any urethane shifter bushing really.

It seems like one of the easiest installs that anyone could do.

However, I remember one of the threads showed pictures of the install in which someone had applied what looked like a large amount of white colored grease all around the bushings.

I was going to re-visit the thread later to read what it was all about my computer restarted and I lost the page.

I have spent forever looking for it but can't find it anywhere and NONE of the other threads show that picture or talk about putting anything on the bushings.

I assume it isn't necessary to put anything on the bushings but wanted to check to see if anyone knows what install pictures I'm talking about.

The only thing I can find now is adding some thread lock to the nut and that's about it.

thanks

Nobody knows what I'm talking about?

Come on....

OK so at least re-assure me that you need to apply nothing in or around the shifter bushings...... (under the car)

Just repalce the rubber ones and you are good to go.....

I'll guess I"ll go with that for now...

I just finished this install. One of the aftermarket bushing kits shows pics of grease all over the bushing for install (sorry, forgot who). Cobb doesn't say anything about it. Sometimes Urethane bushings will squeak, but by the looks of it, not a problem with shifter bushings.

Just for good measure I slathered some grease on mine, but it was probably a waste of grease.

edit: Oh, probably helpful to remove some of the surrounding parts to ease removal of the stock bushing...but not required. Also wouldn't hurt to run a razor around the stock bushing and remove some of the lip, on the side away from the nut, to make it easier to push the old bushing through. Again not required, though.

I just finished this install. One of the aftermarket bushing kits shows pics of grease all over the bushing for install (sorry, forgot who). Cobb doesn't say anything about it. Sometimes Urethane bushings will squeak, but by the looks of it, not a problem with shifter bushings.

Just for good measure I slathered some grease on mine, but it was probably a waste of grease.

edit: Oh, probably helpful to remove some of the surrounding parts to ease removal of the stock bushing...but not required. Also wouldn't hurt to run a razor around the stock bushing and remove some of the lip, on the side away from the nut, to make it easier to push the old bushing through. Again not required, though.

I found it! It was Rallitek.... why I didin't remember that I don't know.

Anyways... what kind of grease did you use?

thanks

I'm no grease expert...but I was under the impression lithium grease isn't waterproof? For an underbody, exposed part I was hesitant to use lithium. I actually used some waterproof synthetic grease intended for bicycle wheel bearings. :)

Like I said, probably a waste of grease. That bushing doesn't seem to move much, if at all. Just an anchor point as near as I can tell.

Archived